User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob confusion of continuity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noob confusion of continuity

So I'm a bit confused, in the movie Aliens the soldiers reference "a bug hunt" as if they had heard of Xenos before, but in game everyone seems to RP like the Xenos are newly discovered (even though the game takes places after Aliens 1 and 2). Is this the proper way to roleplay (I.E. is this required or up to personal choice)? And if it is how would that even make sense?

Whitelisted Predator ChainsawMullet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) In the film, bug hunt does not refer to the USCM having encountered xenos before.
    If they had, they wouldn't have resisted so hard against Ripley's information and participation.
    The term itself has no clear meaning within the film, but it most likely just refers to a sweep-and-clear operation.

2) Yes, you are required to act as if you know nothing about xenomorphs. It is first-contact for the USCM, they know NOTHING.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The marines from Aliens had training in dealing with local alien wildlife in terraformed planets, that's why Gorman mentions that the group has "training" in things like these when trying to convince Ripley to come along. In the novels there's a description of such a mission where they exterminate some flying creatures for the company. Problem is, they had never encountered anything like this Xenomorph and they had no idea how it operated, that's why they wanted to bring Ripley along fo the mission as they needed someone who had experience with this alien to advise them on how to deal with it.

That being said the company would obviously never let the existance of the Xenomorph slip out and would keep it to themselves. The marines in this game have nothing to do with the ones from Aliens and they have no knowledge of the xenos simply because they've never encountered one.

I do agree tho that it is kinda forced that a role like CL would know absolutely nothing about them and would be sent by the company without so much as surface knowledge of the xenos. But I guess keeping the game meta free (lol) is more important than it making sense lore-wise.
    Last edited by SilentMountain; 08-27-2019 at 12:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentMountain View Post
    The marines from Aliens had training in dealing with local alien wildlife in terraformed planets, that's why Gorman mentions that the group has "training" in things like these when trying to convince Ripley to come along. In the novels there's a description of such a mission where they exterminate some flying creatures for the company. Problem is, they had never encountered anything like this Xenomorph and they had no idea how it operated, that's why they wanted to bring Ripley along fo the mission as they needed someone who had experience with this alien to advise them on how to deal with it.

That being said the company would obviously never let the existance of the Xenomorph slip out and would keep it to themselves. The marines in this game have nothing to do with the ones from Aliens and they have no knowledge of the xenos simply because they've never encountered one.

I do agree tho that it is kinda forced that a role like CL would know absolutely nothing about them and would be sent by the company without so much as surface knowledge of the xenos. But I guess keeping the game meta free (lol) is more important than it making sense lore-wise.
    This is the primary idea of the policy, to keep the Marines from slaughtering the xenos with metaknowledge. However, you're never going to get rid of all the meta. For example, you see a boiler gas round coming right for you. Sure, your character doesn't know what it is, but are you, the player, going to stand around and die just for roleplay?

And it occasionally gets old having to say "What's this?" every single round. They should try an event where the Marines know about the xenos when they drop, and see how it goes.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that the official stance that the CL knows nothing about the aliens? I always had the impression that they knew but just didnt tell anyone; thus their tendency to do sneaky shit and immediately start wanting eggs.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardedWall View Post
    Is that the official stance that the CL knows nothing about the aliens? I always had the impression that they knew but just didnt tell anyone; thus their tendency to do sneaky shit and immediately start wanting eggs.
    Official is that he knows as much as Marines. Maybe you can RP knowing about that book that is banned, but nothing else for sure untill admemes will be kind enough (never).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedominspace View Post
    This is the primary idea of the policy, to keep the Marines from slaughtering the xenos with metaknowledge. However, you're never going to get rid of all the meta. For example, you see a boiler gas round coming right for you. Sure, your character doesn't know what it is, but are you, the player, going to stand around and die just for roleplay?

And it occasionally gets old having to say "What's this?" every single round. They should try an event where the Marines know about the xenos when they drop, and see how it goes.
    It does get old and.... it's pretty pointless and most people don't really RP anyway, in terms of the 'what's this' RP angle. I see no real reason why that particular rule can't be binned other than it prevents Marines from meta-welding all vents shut as soon as they hit planetside. The 'what's this' angle lasts about twenty seconds and as soon as the first hostile action occurs, the Marines go all out to kill everything anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The official lore is that marines have in fact met benos several times with about the result we see 60% of the time. Its all hushed up and marine high command almost certainly doesn't know. The Almayer is transporting a single very light battalion in military terms the marines are about the smallest response force to send anywhere.

W-Y does know which is why the CL is just a very junior exec as no one really important would take the chance of actually being anywhere near xenos. Back when I used to play CL i behaved like my boss naybe just hinted that R&D might be involved but not how. The CL is the closest person of any importance but in terms of real WY hierarchy he's a complete nobody who doesnt get to know any secret stuff.

Or you could just not think about any of this and view CM as Groundhog Day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre-Java View Post
    The official lore is that marines have in fact met benos several times with about the result we see 60% of the time. Its all hushed up and marine high command almost certainly doesn't know. The Almayer is transporting a single very light battalion in military terms the marines are about the smallest response force to send anywhere.

W-Y does know which is why the CL is just a very junior exec as no one really important would take the chance of actually being anywhere near xenos. Back when I used to play CL i behaved like my boss naybe just hinted that R&D might be involved but not how. The CL is the closest person of any importance but in terms of real WY hierarchy he's a complete nobody who doesnt get to know any secret stuff.

Or you could just not think about any of this and view CM as Groundhog Day
    Aight, im still gonna talk about the "specimens" wink wink in my faxes cause fuck pretending to have unga-level knowledge. More fun to be the scheming corporate tool than a clueless corporate tool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Xenomorph" is not even the proper name for the creature. "Xeno" in greek means "Foreign" or "Alien", and morph means "shape". Xenomorph is simply a fancy term for "Alien organism", when Gorman calls them "xenomorphs" and the Marines don't udnerstand him, the movie is trying to show how the unexperienced Lieutenant is, still using fancy scientific terms intead of the more "practical" by the marines. Even then, the movie still suggests that alien life exist, the "Acturians" of "Arcturian poontang" might be intelligent aliens (or some different kind of human colonist), the "Bug hunt" is an alien life that the Marines fight but not the Xenomrophs we all know and love.