User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squad Leader improvement ideas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Squad Leader improvement ideas

Right now, as it stands, the SL is really not much more than a guy with enlarged text on the radio, jack of all trades stats and a free flamer, no strings attached.
    While they CAN issue orders, their fellow marines really have no indicator other than randomly chosen dialouge to warn them the SL is even USING an order.
    As such, there really is no visible incentive to stick to your squad leader.

So here i am, once more, writing a forum post, about some minor stuff, just because i feel like it.
    Let`s get to it.

Make "Issue Orders" an action key
    Unless you`re a real key-bind monster, issuing orders is a painful process trying to press some tiny text that randomly decides to jump around whenever you move, combine it with being under the IC tab (who uses IC tab IN COMBAT apart from meme-resting) and theres a good reason that sweet sweet HOLD YOUR GROUND text is so rare.
    As such, like with attachments and suit lights, we should get a nifty, visible button to press, for all us non-key-bind noobs.

Make it much clearer an order has been issued
    No, not SO orders, they already pester us too much, the BUFF orders.
    As stated earlier, the only indicator one is in effect is by (at times) pretty obscure words suddenly being yelled by your SL.
    Much like Xenos have, marines being affected by an order should have a visible icon over their head, showing they are in fact buffed.
    As for what the icons for each order should look like? Go nuts, i ain`t no spriter.

Replace the M240 Flamer/Make it a choice rather than obligatory
    Yeah, its nice, toasts runners, marines and predators.
    It also have zero IFF, meaning you gotta stand IN FRONT of the squad to use it safely, which means an easy pick, which means a very dead/bursted SL.
    An idea could be offering the SL a choice between the M240, an experimental IFF SMG or a special Grenade Launcher with a range like the M92, but single-shot (Think M79, but CM-style)
    Even if the SL wants none of them, he/she/unga can still give it to a fellow squad member.

Make the SL a more obvious target
    Sounds strange eh?
    SLs really don`t stick out alot, the only indicator being an abysmally small antenna on the side of their helmet.
    In CM, where XvH combat is dominated by indicators dictating targets (A crusher versus a drone being an obvious example), the SL simply blends in too well with the horde.
    Engineers get their packs, medics their crosses, specs their gear and even stuff like PFCs with flamers get an obvious indicator.
    Perhaps give the SL a bigger antenna, a special backpack WITH an antenna, a stripe on their helmet or even visible rank markers on their shoulder?
    Either way, this also helps locate the SL in case they end up in a pile of bodies.

Anyways, thats all i got, alot of these ideas sounded better in my head, anyway, feel free to criticize, suggest or just discuss these ideas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred-Rattling-Reach View Post
    Right now, as it stands, the SL is really not much more than a guy with enlarged text on the radio, jack of all trades stats and a free flamer, no strings attached.
    While they CAN issue orders, their fellow marines really have no indicator other than randomly chosen dialouge to warn them the SL is even USING an order.
    As such, there really is no visible incentive to stick to your squad leader.

So here i am, once more, writing a forum post, about some minor stuff, just because i feel like it.
    Let`s get to it.

Make "Issue Orders" an action key
    Unless you`re a real key-bind monster, issuing orders is a painful process trying to press some tiny text that randomly decides to jump around whenever you move, combine it with being under the IC tab (who uses IC tab IN COMBAT apart from meme-resting) and theres a good reason that sweet sweet HOLD YOUR GROUND text is so rare.
    As such, like with attachments and suit lights, we should get a nifty, visible button to press, for all us non-key-bind noobs.

Make it much clearer an order has been issued
    No, not SO orders, they already pester us too much, the BUFF orders.
    As stated earlier, the only indicator one is in effect is by (at times) pretty obscure words suddenly being yelled by your SL.
    Much like Xenos have, marines being affected by an order should have a visible icon over their head, showing they are in fact buffed.
    As for what the icons for each order should look like? Go nuts, i ain`t no spriter.

Replace the M240 Flamer/Make it a choice rather than obligatory
    Yeah, its nice, toasts runners, marines and predators.
    It also have zero IFF, meaning you gotta stand IN FRONT of the squad to use it safely, which means an easy pick, which means a very dead/bursted SL.
    An idea could be offering the SL a choice between the M240, an experimental IFF SMG or a special Grenade Launcher with a range like the M92, but single-shot (Think M79, but CM-style)
    Even if the SL wants none of them, he/she/unga can still give it to a fellow squad member.

Make the SL a more obvious target
    Sounds strange eh?
    SLs really don`t stick out alot, the only indicator being an abysmally small antenna on the side of their helmet.
    In CM, where XvH combat is dominated by indicators dictating targets (A crusher versus a drone being an obvious example), the SL simply blends in too well with the horde.
    Engineers get their packs, medics their crosses, specs their gear and even stuff like PFCs with flamers get an obvious indicator.
    Perhaps give the SL a bigger antenna, a special backpack WITH an antenna, a stripe on their helmet or even visible rank markers on their shoulder?
    Either way, this also helps locate the SL in case they end up in a pile of bodies.

Anyways, thats all i got, alot of these ideas sounded better in my head, anyway, feel free to criticize, suggest or just discuss these ideas.
    See, I just don't think SL needs any changes. I feel that they serve their purpose well without having to rebalance anything. The one thing that I agree about is the orders. Those, and the location of the squad leader. They could both be a little more obvious

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think they need a special weapon. If they wanna unga as a PFC+ then they have first access to the armory and don't deserve anything special. If they wanna lead their squad then they just need to find their style and take weapons to suit. If they like leading from the front that's probably two shotguns. If they wanna be in the middle of the pack they they can grab an IFF scope and a weapon that works with it. You pay a price for that relative middle of the pack safety. When I SL I try to focus less on robusting xenos and more or coordinating anyway.

Order visibility changes would be nice. A visible buff would incentivize a lot of wayward ungas to work more as a team. That's one of the types of buffs that is great for games like this. It makes it easier for less experienced players to function effectively without making more experienced players any more powerful.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SLs are already an obvious target, but I can agree with the rest of the suggestions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SLs are already an obvious target due to their B12 armor. Medics can simply grab a standard satchel to remove the cross, engineers can take like 3 industrial welders to avoid the welderpack entirely. SL can just grab a standard armor I guess but B12 is REALLY good.

What I really want to have as SL is a megaphone.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Orders next to armor light, medhud, etc. would be really great, goodness knows I don't use them enough just because of that menu.

Buff indicators would make ungas way more willing to stick with you as well.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, we need this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be frank, the obvious target idea i just threw in there for the memes.

But yes, easier Orders access, buff indicator, pretty damn serious.
    If only i could CODE and SPRITE, but i`m just a lowly Alpha UNGA DUNGA medic.

Head Ukraine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have some plans for SLs that will change the entire squad mechanic, but this is in deep discussion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NethIafins View Post
    I have some plans for SLs that will change the entire squad mechanic, but this is in deep discussion
    The entire squad mechanic?
    Oh, now my interest has peaked, do tell more, here, or in a PM, your choice, admeme man.