Date of Incident
    August 28, 2019

Your Character Name?
    Carver 'Hatchet' Anderson

Accused Byond Key(if known):
    N/A

Accused Character Name
    Wamakahana Windhealer

Approximate time and date of the incident (Central US Time for fastest results)
    9:00AM 08/28/2019

What rule(s) were broken:
    Racism ' Bigotry

Description of the incident:
    To sum it up rather quickly.

I'm a registered member of the Mashpee Wampanoag tribe of Massachusetts (Native American), and I know it might seem pretty trivial, but I took offense to the portrayal of this certain persons character.

It wasn't so much that he was imitating a Native American character, but more so his portrayal and description of a Native American; The way he played him was pretty offensive anyway, this Great Chief Windhealer he called himself.

But most of all, if you examined his character his description was; 'Reeks of Mysticism and Alcohol.' If that isn't bigoted and derogatory, I don't know what is.

It's hard enough that as a people with barely one million people registered members left worldwide, we get little no respect and are persecuted in the areas we still reside. But to then come on to a game and see people being intentionally derogatory and offensive, it's just salt in the wounds.

The player in question will probably never do it again, but I think it should be something that can be made a point of.

Evidence (screenshots, logs, etc):
    How you would punish the accused:
    I don't think they need to be punished, but just gently reminded that it's not funny or cool, and there are contemporary Natives who play these games and others who have to put up with offensive portrayals of our heritage on a day to day basis.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry that I've offended you by the way I play my character Wamakahana Windhealer. While I've pretty much been tagged as "the Indian CO" for a good while now, It's never a term I've used myself and I have personally always tried to play Windhealer as an over the top space tribal rather than a parody of any specific tribal people (an IC running joke is that Windhealer has never heard of America). If you were wondering, the main inspiration for the character was the adult swim show 'Xavier: Renegade Angel' with the intention being to play a humorous mystical shaman marine with tribal aesthetics. I can definitely see why the connection is made, and obviously their are native american influences on the character like his proclivity for scalping.

The character description text you brought up I genuinely forgot about and upon reflection, is actually quite offensive and doesen't even fit Windhealer very well (I think I've only had only one drunk round as a joke). It's a poor taste joke I made for the character ages ago when I started playing him, I will change it next round I play to something more suitable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreven View Post
    I'm sorry that I've offended you by the way I play my character Wamakahana Windhealer. While I've pretty much been tagged as "the Indian CO" for a good while now, It's never a term I've used myself and I have personally always tried to play Windhealer as an over the top space tribal rather than a parody of any specific tribal people (an IC running joke is that Windhealer has never heard of America). If you were wondering, the main inspiration for the character was the adult swim show 'Xavier: Renegade Angel' with the intention being to play a humorous mystical shaman marine with tribal aesthetics. I can definitely see why the connection is made, and obviously their are native american influences on the character like his proclivity for scalping.

The character description text you brought up I genuinely forgot about and upon reflection, is actually quite offensive and doesen't even fit Windhealer very well (I think I've only had only one drunk round as a joke). It's a poor taste joke I made for the character ages ago when I started playing him, I will change it next round I play to something more suitable.

Thankyou for the response, it's nice to be able to talk to someone about it and have a response to what I'm saying that isn't offended by my offense (Lol). And thankyou for taking the time out to write back and hear what I'm saying, trust me I'm not used to it, so it's hella' refreshing to have some come back with a humble response. Like I said, I don't mind anyone portraying Native American characters, or characters that even resemble indigenous culture from all over the world, it's just nicer for us when someone does it with more positivity and empowerment. So thank-you again for taking the time to write back, and taking the time to remedy this alongside me.

???????????

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah sure I'll look into this.

Anyone who isnt an exact witness, Don't even waste your time posting cause you know I'll rule 2 it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranakadia View Post
    Thankyou for the response, it's nice to be able to talk to someone about it and have a response to what I'm saying that isn't offended by my offense (Lol). And thankyou for taking the time out to write back and hear what I'm saying, trust me I'm not used to it, so it's hella' refreshing to have some come back with a humble response. Like I said, I don't mind anyone portraying Native American characters, or characters that even resemble indigenous culture from all over the world, it's just nicer for us when someone does it with more positivity and empowerment. So thank-you again for taking the time to write back, and taking the time to remedy this alongside me.

???????????
    Before I pull logs for this, my question is do you want this to continue since you believe this is remedied?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThesoldierLLJK View Post
    Before I pull logs for this, my question is do you want this to continue since you believe this is remedied?
    No, I'm quite happy with this honestly. Don't want to waste anyone elses time with it if it's sorted here and now.

Thankyou though.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Report withdrawn at reporters request.