Byond ID?
    Challade

CM Character?
    Uriel 'Encino Man' Payan

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    Mountain Standard Time (MST)

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?
    12-14

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    No

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    TG/Hippie

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made
    Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    No

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    Yes, 2 years ago for throwing an ID down the trash bin I think.
    From Discord I've been spontaneously perma banned when I applied for CO too.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    Yes, Hippie station for bombing the station as non antag(3 days).
    Paradise for choking an ssd(was my first time playing SS13 and I was testing my controls, I got spooked by the admin and closed off). This has been appealed.

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    yes

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    Check notes real quick, this should fall under IC(and quite possible an accident), but if the player has a history of doing this I have to step in.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    I'd give the player a suggestion to report the pred on the forums and to take screenshots. If the marine is dead I'd give them the pred name if they needed it for said report since I'm not allowed to "enforce" pred rules.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    Give him a whisper or message, ask him if he needs any help while slipping him the quickstart guide and telling him where his prep is.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    Say no, If he wants to get a higher judgement he can staff report me if he'd like, and if he's being rude it only works against him.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    I'd look into it and talk with 'John Doe' and explain to them about rule 12 and how he can't have that name. I'd give them a note or higher if they have a history of doing this, then I'd offer them a voluntary name change. If they refuse I'll do it anyway but come up with a name myself.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    Technically this is a rule 2 break, but it's also IC. I'd rather the MP deal with it, lest they grow bored with doing nothing.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    I'd check logs to see if the survivor's story is legitimate. Then I'd tell the marine that survivors are neutral and they present themselves as hostiles or nonhostiles no inbetween. Then close it off as IC.

However, ff the survivor turncoats and changes behavior that is griefing and is not IC.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    I'd ask the MP for their reasoning as to why they Permad a player and check if they got permission from the CMP/CO to do so. If they did I'd bring the CO/CMP into questioning as well.
    I would then check the logs to see if the player really did just run in and steal items without force.
    If it was just a thievery without force I'd remind both parties that nothing the player did merits a permanent confinement while giving a note to both parties, and perhaps a job ban to the MP if this power abuse is reoccurring.
    The proper way to punish the player would've been maybe 30 minute brig at most with items being returned.

If the player went and committed a permabriggable offence on the way to the attachment, I'd still check to see if it was approved, then close as IC if it was.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    I use queen mother to tell the xenos to regain some of their dignity with a full on attack. The queen will have to obey, and if the last queen is dead, the round ends in 5 minutes. If they don't obey, I'll deal with the queen for breaking roleplay, but first whisper the CO that his god or conscious says they should lead one more charge unto the planet.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    Since I'm involved ingame I'd ahelp the situation. That's all. The Hippie Admin approach where I'm not allowed to get involved as a mod if I'm part of the situation.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    IC. CLF are hostile and are not counted as EORG. I'd refer them to rule 4.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    I'd PM the marine about Improper roleplay, roundstart shenanigans and griefing. These are two rules being broken, I'd note them on it, and then I'd tell the marine to return the stolen gear if they don't want to be punished further.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    Remind the second marine about the improper escalation rule, then look at the notes, if this behavior is constant and recent then I'd hand a ban. Otherwise a warning.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    Remind the rally of how mutinies are supposed to go in LOOC. And to ahelp before doing a mutiny, if the mutiny is valid they can keep going for it, however, if the mutiny is invalid they'll be denied mutiny, and anything done to continue it will be improper escalation and griefing.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    I'd tell them to knock it off in LOOC, then OOC if it keeps going, at the third strike I'll start throwing out notes/bans. Racism RP and the like is fine for ic shenanigans but at some point it has to stop. And if they keep pushing the envelope when told not to, then I will too.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    Permaban on the spot, let them appeal their case, I'd start handing out aheals if needed for any extreme injuries.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    First I'd look at the context, I'd ask them why and look around as to how they died, maybe they were waiting to evolve and a rambo marine happened to catch them around the corner.
    If they're a constant offender I'd probably give them a job ban, otherwise, a note.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    Tell the xeno to stop as the first warning for netspeak/memespeak, afterward I'd give them a note, maybe jobban if they're constant offender.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    That's fine, not everything has a fancy name in xeno talk, I'd remind the xeno that hivemind implies everyone knows what her sister knows without having to define dropship.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    If there's an event going on I'd tell the player that it's alright to believe.
    Otherwise, I'd confront the CO as to why they made that statement, perhaps survivors tipped him off. If there isn't a reason to know about xenos yet, I'd remind everyone that the knowledge of xenos is still unknown and to disregard the CO's statement.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    If there were 3 spots with 4 marines and he killed one to make space for himself I'd rule it as IC, pressure gets to people, and in real life these decisions are made in a split second. If the other 2 marines kill him though, I can't step in either. It has to be more or less reasonable though, if the marine goes in and lobs a frag grenade or flames the whole row, then it's more of a "I want to get away with killing" issue, to which I step in.
    This is also the end of the round, it's not the end of the world if you're dead for 5 minutes.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    They can take it up in a report if they want, I don't really argue with people pointlessly and anger is a reasonable emotion to feel, though their ranting will work against them in whatever report they make.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    Tell him that he has bad luck and that there's nothing I can do, even an aheal can't stop a bursting, but that there's always next round to look forward to if he's been captured.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    Let them know what I think is the correct information and interpretation of the rule, no more, there are different interpretations after all.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    I notify an admin or head of staff.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    Because I like interacting with the community members, and I want to help them if problems legitimately arise. I've been seeing a sharp increase of permabans lately, and while I think they're sometimes necessary, I want to help give people fair opportunities of rehabilitation. It makes me very sad to see active community members be exiled without a fair chance to come back.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    Empathy, everyone has broken a rule before, had a misunderstanding, or quite simply messed up, mods are simply the SL equivilant of a player. Understanding why someone broke a rule leads to better judgement.

Anything else you
    I want to sincerely thank whoever take the time to through my application.

CM-SS13 Vice Host
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Challade, thank you for your interest in joining the Moderator team. I'm going to go over your answers.

Quote Originally Posted by huebone View Post
    A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    Check notes real quick, this should fall under IC(and quite possible an accident), but if the player has a history of doing this I have to step in.
    It's always worth checking with the affected and offending players in a situation like this, to get their stories. It will help you determine if they're a new player or if it was accidental etc.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    I'd give the player a suggestion to report the pred on the forums and to take screenshots. If the marine is dead I'd give them the pred name if they needed it for said report since I'm not allowed to "enforce" pred rules.
    You remain within your rights as a moderator to investigate the situation, and it is highly recommended you do so as it streamlines the resolution of reports.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    Give him a whisper or message, ask him if he needs any help while slipping him the quickstart guide and telling him where his prep is.
    It may be worthwhile to make sure they've gone over the rules at the same time.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    Say no, If he wants to get a higher judgement he can staff report me if he'd like, and if he's being rude it only works against him.
    A harder response than preferable but not incorrect. No one has the right to choose who handles their aHelps.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    I'd look into it and talk with 'John Doe' and explain to them about rule 12 and how he can't have that name. I'd give them a note or higher if they have a history of doing this, then I'd offer them a voluntary name change. If they refuse I'll do it anyway but come up with a name myself.
    Make sure you tell them that they will need to manually change their name for next round.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    Technically this is a rule 2 break, but it's also IC. I'd rather the MP deal with it, lest they grow bored with doing nothing.
    While I applaud your RP standards, this would not constitute a breach of Rule 2. It's solely IC. It is however a potential risk you should keep an eye on/investigate. It's entirely possible the MT was ordered to deploy, or they could just be new.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    I use queen mother to tell the xenos to regain some of their dignity with a full on attack. The queen will have to obey, and if the last queen is dead, the round ends in 5 minutes. If they don't obey, I'll deal with the queen for breaking roleplay, but first whisper the CO that his god or conscious says they should lead one more charge unto the planet.
    The round timer (unless it's been changed to make me look foolish) is 20 minutes without a Queen. Five minutes to get a new Queen. Aside from that I'm ok with your answer.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    Since I'm involved ingame I'd ahelp the situation. That's all. The Hippie Admin approach where I'm not allowed to get involved as a mod if I'm part of the situation.
    Perfect.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    I'd tell them to knock it off in LOOC, then OOC if it keeps going, at the third strike I'll start throwing out notes/bans. Racism RP and the like is fine for ic shenanigans but at some point it has to stop. And if they keep pushing the envelope when told not to, then I will too.
    We have side specific OOC abilities now MOOC for marine and XOOC for Xeno. I would suggest using these rather than the global OOC. Additionally, rather than calling situations out in OOC/MOOC/XOOC direct PMs would be wiser due to the sound.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    Permaban on the spot, let them appeal their case, I'd start handing out aheals if needed for any extreme injuries.
    In this situation you would be required to ban them for a week and file for a permanent ban on the forums.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    If there were 3 spots with 4 marines and he killed one to make space for himself I'd rule it as IC, pressure gets to people, and in real life these decisions are made in a split second. If the other 2 marines kill him though, I can't step in either. It has to be more or less reasonable though, if the marine goes in and lobs a frag grenade or flames the whole row, then it's more of a "I want to get away with killing" issue, to which I step in.
    This is also the end of the round, it's not the end of the world if you're dead for 5 minutes.
    Talking to the killer would be advisable too. Killing someone to take the last place on a pod is acceptable but it is not ideal. I'm also glad that you can recognise the difference between desperation and griefing in this situation.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    They can take it up in a report if they want, I don't really argue with people pointlessly and anger is a reasonable emotion to feel, though their ranting will work against them in whatever report they make.
    You can also talk to other staff about it and have them mute and/or speak to the offending player.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    Let them know what I think is the correct information and interpretation of the rule, no more, there are different interpretations after all.
    Answered below

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    I notify an admin or head of staff.
    In both of these situations rather than taking it to a higher member of staff it needs to go directly to the manager responsible for the arguing staff members along with evidence of the situation. As for the wrong information bit, this only needs to go to the manager if it's from blatant ignorance or deliberate misinformation.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    Because I like interacting with the community members, and I want to help them if problems legitimately arise. I've been seeing a sharp increase of permabans lately, and while I think they're sometimes necessary, I want to help give people fair opportunities of rehabilitation. It makes me very sad to see active community members be exiled without a fair chance to come back.
    Keep in mind that all permabans are decided upon by head staff. We will usually only file permabans for 18+, Extensive Grief and rapid/consistent accumulation of other notes.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    Empathy, everyone has broken a rule before, had a misunderstanding, or quite simply messed up, mods are simply the SL equivilant of a player. Understanding why someone broke a rule leads to better judgement.
    Excellent.

I have a few more things that I need to discuss however. Those being your last two notes.

Spoiler Spoiler:

These are both quite recent, with the last one being three weeks ago. With this in mind, what can you say in your defence? Your answers show you have a fairly good grasp on the rules, but these would indicate differently. If you can clear that up satisfactorily you can have my vote. Until then I remain neutral on this application.
    Charles & Arthur Edwinson
    Synth Percival | Artyom
    Yautja Kjhute Luar-ke

Record:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Discord: forest2001#2001

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by forest2001 View Post
    Ahelped about being PB'd, after solving the issue and resolving the case, Player said that would answer grief with grief, player got warned and said he would do it on a non-grief way suggesting meta-grudge against the solved issue.
    by XXXX on Sat, July 27th of 2019

Warned about IC in LOOC: (R)LOOC: Uriel 'Encino Man' Payan/(Challade): AUTOdocking me while I got infected?
    by XXXX on Fri, August 9th of 2019
    Oof, yeah I remember these.

The first one I was standing in a bar fort corridor and when we got told to evac an Alpha medic, immediately, without uttering a single word, PBed me and left me to die in said fort. Didn't drag my body or anything for a defib, no xenos around either, just a hit and run, I told the admin and they said that the medic said we were getting swamped by xenos and I was in the way. I didn't screenshot so I couldn't prove my side, so I said fine, but asked if I had ic reason to shoot them when I get defibbed. They said no. And I said "alright, I'll just handle it ICly", I suppose I left it too ambiguous and they told me I wasn't allowed to meta-grudge the other player before closing the ticket.
    What I did was just tell the MP at medbay that the alpha medic murdered me, that was it. I should've mentioned that in the ticket so I see why they thought I was planning on breaking rule 4.

The second one was when I got facehugged and told the Doc that I needed worm surgery. At the time we knew about infections and I thought it was fine to ask the doc why they were autodoc'ing me while I was infected, at the moment I was already inside the machine and my LOOC wasn't visible in chat, but I got warned nonetheless. I don't really have an excuse for this one, I just didn't think it through and I got a deserved warning for breaking Rule 10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forest covered things pretty well however I think I'll try and throw you a curve ball or two.

How well versed on marine law are you? What do you do IF anything when MP's are being swarmed for having to arrest a marine in briefing or some other shipside/FOB location

Marines sent an Ahelp for mutiny against command. What is the minimum required number of marines for such a task and what qualifies as a good reason? E.G. Examples
    Last edited by Eliteempire; 09-04-2019 at 08:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliteempire View Post
    Forest covered things pretty well however I think I'll try and throw you a curve ball or two.

How well versed on marine law are you? What do you do IF anything when MP's are being swarmed for having to arrest a marine in briefing or some other shipside/FOB location

Marines sent an Ahelp for mutiny against command. What is the minimum required number of marines for such a task and what qualifies as a good reason? E.G. Examples
    How well versed on marine law are you?

I understand it so much that I can tell that there's a gap in logic for the permanent confinement in the wiki. You can never exceed 60 minutes with any crime+resisting, the max is 60 minutes and you can't exceed it since you can't stack sentences aside from one resist charge. 30 max for any non perma crime, 30 max for resisting, and then perma, the sentence about "any sentence exceeding 60 minutes can become permabriggable" should be removed as you can't actually exceed 60 minutes.

What do you do IF anything when MP's are being swarmed for having to arrest a marine in briefing or some other shipside/FOB location

Nothing, if they're swarming him with disarms and bare fists it's IC. Once a guy throws out knives or starts shooting I have to(if I can) sleep the one who took it one step further than necessary.

5 is the minimum, and they can't have meme/unrealistic reasons. If the reason was revenge for lives lost during the op or a sour encounter with command, it's fine. If the op went sour and you want to mutiny, that's fine too, if you have a decent reason stated(mutiny for the sake of mutiny is a no).

Things that are NOT fine are things like:

"My squad was put on FOB and I don't want to FOB, mutiny." No.

"Command didn't let us have attachies." Probably not(it's against the rules, so the CO will already be in trouble.)

"We deployed early, got sent back and command won't let us go again, my squad wants to mutiny."

No. Squads being stupid is their fault, not the COs.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here you show a very well grasp of the rules, somehow, i see different in game. I will remain neutral but leaning towards -1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though ya note history is not the greatest I do believe ya can probably change it around. You have also showed ya know the rules well enough so I'm not against giving ya a trial so +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll give ya a +1 for the time being as you've shown you have a grasp of understanding things, Don't seem like the lad to abuse power, and last but not least your notes aren't that bad.

Best of luck on ya on getting in.

CM-SS13 Vice Host
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first one I was standing in a bar fort corridor and when we got told to evac an Alpha medic, immediately, without uttering a single word, PBed me and left me to die in said fort. Didn't drag my body or anything for a defib, no xenos around either, just a hit and run, I told the admin and they said that the medic said we were getting swamped by xenos and I was in the way. I didn't screenshot so I couldn't prove my side, so I said fine, but asked if I had ic reason to shoot them when I get defibbed. They said no. And I said "alright, I'll just handle it ICly", I suppose I left it too ambiguous and they told me I wasn't allowed to meta-grudge the other player before closing the ticket.
    What I did was just tell the MP at medbay that the alpha medic murdered me, that was it. I should've mentioned that in the ticket so I see why they thought I was planning on breaking rule 4.
    Ambiguity can cause many problems for staff and player alike. Should you be granted a trial you must ensure your PMs leave no ambiguity in their context. People interpret things differently and any loopholes, inconsistencies or vague statements need to be closed and removed.

The second one was when I got facehugged and told the Doc that I needed worm surgery. At the time we knew about infections and I thought it was fine to ask the doc why they were autodoc'ing me while I was infected, at the moment I was already inside the machine and my LOOC wasn't visible in chat, but I got warned nonetheless. I don't really have an excuse for this one, I just didn't think it through and I got a deserved warning for breaking Rule 10.
    To my knowledge, LOOC will show up for those around you in an Autodoc, but not you. Regardless however, it should not have been said, but I do understand your reasons.

How well versed on marine law are you?
    I understand it so much that I can tell that there's a gap in logic for the permanent confinement in the wiki. You can never exceed 60 minutes with any crime+resisting, the max is 60 minutes and you can't exceed it since you can't stack sentences aside from one resist charge. 30 max for any non perma crime, 30 max for resisting, and then perma, the sentence about "any sentence exceeding 60 minutes can become permabriggable" should be removed as you can't actually exceed 60 minutes.
    Whilst pleasing to see your extensive knowledge of Marine Law, you forget that this applies to single instances. If PFC John Doe murders a marine, evades MPs and then breaks into engineering 15 minutes later to blow up the reactors, this would be two separate instances. Therefore charges can be placed that would exceed 60 minutes.

I'm going to remain Neutral for now as I'd like to see you go a little longer with a clean sheet. I may, or may not, give you some more questions to answer within the next few days to determine my vote.
    Charles & Arthur Edwinson
    Synth Percival | Artyom
    Yautja Kjhute Luar-ke

Record:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Discord: forest2001#2001

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses guys. I don't want to jinx anything so I'll just leave at that, thanks for the honest feedback.