User Tag List

View Poll Results: Remove/replace Corporate Liaison?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

57 45.97%
  • No

67 54.03%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we really need the Corporate Liaison anymore?

Whitelisted Captain FGRSentinel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by conthegodoffire View Post
    TBH I think the CL needs to act more like chaplain in the normal game. More or less a gateway to the admemes.
    Call in goodies from "The company" and such.
    Tehnically I guess the CL could go around trying to tempt Marines into applying for jobs in WY in the way some Chaplains might try to convert people to their religions. I've personally been tempted to go CL and just play cards just to see how much money I end the round with though.
    Retired CO Councilor (Winter 2019-Spring 2020, Winter 2020-Spring 2021)

Goddard Pearsall, the Pilot that (almost) always has Souto

Unofficial source of help for new/inexperienced POs. Message me here or on Discord if you'd like advise on anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauntasa View Post
    You could also allow whitelisted players(not with a new specific whitelist, just any whitelist) who are dead to take up the mantle of a Company rep and respond to faxes, with a short list of things that they're able to grant and a limited authority to give the CL specific objectives.
    Extremely unlikely as even mods have extreme limited interaction with the CL. And we are quite monitored if we reply to CL fax, as any single missword can lead to self antagging.

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We we do need it. The CL can the epicentre of great IC drama and RP, given the player is invested the role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I don't play as Corporate Liaison, but I do love the purpose of the role in itself.

I feel the role needs to be given more powers than anything else. The role is extremely limited to conversations that have almost never have an effect on RP, where times it does is negligible. It would be a lot better if the player playing the CL role was able to commit to what they say they're doing, like sending a fax to Weyland Yutani in regards to shit happening on board, let it have to do with research or significant conflicts occurring on the Almayer.

As said by plenty of other people on this thread, the CL is pretty much a punching bag for command and the MTs. The CL could be walked over and would only be able to send a paper to WY and expect nothing to happen.

Usually, any RP involving fax sent to Weyland Yutani just ends there, unless an admin chooses to respond. For the role to have more ability to do, it should be a lot less dependent on admins responding. However this would be implemented could vary, but would be best if the CL was allowed to make direct requests to Weyland Yutani that would be fulfilled like requesting the PMCs (assuming the CL had good reason for it and sent a legitimate fax, this way it skips the process of waiting on admin that may or may not respond to it). Another viable option would be putting in a Weyland Yutani role that primarily revolves around you communicating with the CL.

All in all, the CL has a lot of potentials and could really use the revamp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for FGTSentinel
    Rounds are too short to RP. 20 minutes for prep, 5 for deployment, 20 for caves rush and round's basically over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did it... I did it boys and girls

RP'd my ass off, and came out with a legendary round of CM as the Liason, it was fucking glorious!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like everyone here says, I'd love it if the CL had more leeway and power to do some "shady" things if they so choose or are required to. But at the same time, I don't want them to be TOO antagonistic.

If my time playing Vanilla SS13 taught me anything, it is that giving a robust player the freedom to be the bad guy more often than not just results in murderboning half the station (or at least trying to) rather than attempting to, you know... Be a covert agent and doing things in a subtle, shady manner.

After all, that was the original idea behind traitors on Vanilla: To manipulate people into thinking you are just another one of them, when in reality you are secretly plotting behind their backs and slipping something strange into their drink at the bar. Sadly while that was the idea on paper, in practice it just results in min-maxers and powergamers who understand the game's systems to break the game as much as they can and turn into death incarnate 30 minutes into a given round, if not less. Thus, instead of creating a story of covert operations, shady business and betrayal, you just get a round where they hack into the AI core with ease (because of course the walls surrounding it are weak as fuck) and make themselves the only human (to name one common practice, anyways), because of COURSE just causing mindless carnage is far easier and preferable than using roleplay and earning the trust of your crew members, let alone using more clever killing methods like poison or a bomb disguised as a pizza delivery. but I digress...

If the CL is to be given more "devious" options, then I'd want them to make sense considering the relationship the USCM and the Company have. After all, the USCM is a big buyer of the Company's weapons, so to have the CL assassinate the Captain because reasons is probably not going to be good for business when word gets out.

If anything, the CL should instead employ manipulation, exploitation and all that other typical shady businessman stuff that would get what he really wants: Moving up the ladder and getting more of that sweet dosh. After all, that is the whole reason he is there, right? He wants to advance in his career, so he needs to do things that would help advance said career so he can finally get that golden toilet he always wanted. A lot of people in this very topic already mentioned a lot of logical ways to get that, but I wouldn't mind if there were a few other "businessy" things he could do, although what those things could be, I am still not quite sure.

TL;DR

I'd like the CL to have more things if we are going to keep him around, but I don't want to have to constantly be worried about command staff being randomly killed because the CL decided to fuck us over for no logical reason other than "because company". Besides, I don't want this server to end up like other vanilla servers and turn into a game of metagaming cops and robbers, a very common problem to this day.
    Last edited by Renomaki; 01-05-2019 at 02:48 PM.

Whitelisted Captain FGRSentinel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renomaki View Post
    If anything, the CL should instead employ manipulation, exploitation and all that other typical shady businessman stuff that would get what he really wants: Moving up the ladder and getting more of that sweet dosh. After all, that is the whole reason he is there, right? He wants to advance in his career, so he needs to do things that would help advance said career so he can finally get that golden toilet he always wanted. A lot of people in this very topic already mentioned a lot of logical ways to get that, but I wouldn't mind if there were a few other "businessy" things he could do, although what those things could be, I am still not quite sure.
    Have the CL be given mostly benign objectives, like repairing/covering up a manufacturing defect in one of the Almayer's systems without being discovered so the Company doesn't lose face for it (and resulting in a slight penalty to the Marines until someone fixes it) or recruiting X to work for the Company and ensuring they survive the round/evac so they can fulfill their new employment contract... Or, perhaps, the destruction of certain intel items and/or ensuring the deaths of certain survivors to, again, ensure the Company doesn't lose face. Hell, some of the objectives could be benevolent, like applying upgrades to some of the ship's systems without being detected to make it look like the original quality was higher than it actually was, giving the Marines a slight boost while still benefiting the Company, or making the CO sign an NDA in exchange for different types of Corporate assistance.
    Retired CO Councilor (Winter 2019-Spring 2020, Winter 2020-Spring 2021)

Goddard Pearsall, the Pilot that (almost) always has Souto

Unofficial source of help for new/inexperienced POs. Message me here or on Discord if you'd like advise on anything.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think that we NEED to have it, but the position offers a good roleplaying oppotunities. SOmething which many players are keen to enjoy.

Dev Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the CL was given more hard antag stuff to do the marines would have even more reason to ass blast them, given people are being decapped in pre-briefing brawls because one squad calls another squad a mean word.