User Tag List

Thread: UPP Additions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UPP Additions?

I was recently lucky enough to participate in a mini event round involving the collection/theft of intelligence for the UPP before the marines could obtain it. There were only three of us and we got pretty basic loadouts, but it was a great deal of fun to sneak around, cut deals with the survivors, and ultimately break into the Almayer secure storage to clean them out of intel and attempt to steal the xenomorph corpses shortly after. Now it did involve a lot of attention from Dubs to act as our intel trade in, but I think this would be also possible with a machine and set prices, almost like an opposite to standard marine vendors. Or even the same and inserting Intel/xeno parts gives more points.

Now I may be crazy, but having come back after a long break I like to think things are more or less even in my eyes as far as observing who is more powerful than the other, because I currently lack a bias. As such it seems pretty heavily in marine favor right now with the defcons, the tank, and the CAS. This gave them a very small faction to compete against in the facet of intel for defcons, slightly evening things out in my opinion, and I think that if this was a more common thing it would do the rounds well to have them. It would even be easy enough to swap out factions with different goals, should it be something people are interested in, and it would give a means to see what's available to CM more often as well. Even as is I personally find these a bit too rare, but I might just be unlucky and missing the days they happen, and also understand just how much effort and attention is required to do such things.

Either way I just wanted to know what people thought about that being potentially a thing more often? Maybe similar to pred rounds where it just happens every so often to keep things staggered and stop them from happening at the same time? I would even support a whitelist to ensure people don't just sign up to purely murderbone marines and xenos. I don't think I personally killed even one of either faction, just robbed them blind while doing some rp with my comrades.

As an aside I would also like to know if this is even possible, or if I am simply dreaming sweet dreams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As of the recent Ravager changes the losses are enough to keep things even. Once Marines adapt and start taking things a little less aggro things will even out again, but for the time being I see an alien lean.

Consider this just a wistful thinking thread of neat events I suppose!

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with events like this where you are sneaky and trying to infilitrate stuff is that they only work when no one has any idea they are coming. In regular SS13 you know it might be a syndicate round but its semi rare so you never expect it to be a syndicate round. In CM there isn't a bunch of different things that can happen. Its just XvH for the most part with the occasional predator that you don't have to prepare for any differently than you would aliens so it don't matter. Every major event is announced before hand so you know its gonna be HvH or whatever. So if you start making this a semi standard thing like preds then marines will be watching for it. MPs will start patrolling the ship and checking the intel storage area. Marines will start watching for UPP agents trying to steal information planet side. Once marines are vigilant about checking for UPP it will become impossible for UPP to do anything besides go in guns blazing trying to take the intel, and they will die horribly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good point, I guess even if they were set to trigger randomly people would still know they're an option and be keeping an eye out. Alas, the meta is too real to have nice things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the idea of mini events like that. I'm sure that it's possible for players to not be on the lookout for one if it's rare enough, maybe only once every hundred rounds or so. But that's a lot of work for a mini event that will only trigger in 1% of rounds. That's about one round per week I think, which is a lot of work coding and testing something that will only be seen for one round a week. And at that point it's rare enough that a good chunk of people probably wouldn't even know the details of the event, that those particular CLF are supposed to be sneaking and stealing Intel rather than going in guns blazing.
    I honestly wish that I was able to run events just do that I could run little mini events like that. I would love to see a mid round CLF strike team hit with some mcguffin that lets them arm the self destruct from the SD console or something. It spices things up mid round but also gives Marines twenty minutes to deal with the CLF as they try to defend a notoriously difficult to defend position. There's frankly lots of room for mini events to let the CLF be the terrorists they're meant to be. It would be neat if 10% or so of the rounds had the CLF doing something. Stealing Intel, sniping on the planet, raiding the Almayer, whatever. But I don't think it can realistically be implemented programmatically.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnwaveringGrey View Post
    I love the idea of mini events like that. I'm sure that it's possible for players to not be on the lookout for one if it's rare enough, maybe only once every hundred rounds or so. But that's a lot of work for a mini event that will only trigger in 1% of rounds. That's about one round per week I think, which is a lot of work coding and testing something that will only be seen for one round a week. And at that point it's rare enough that a good chunk of people probably wouldn't even know the details of the event, that those particular CLF are supposed to be sneaking and stealing Intel rather than going in guns blazing.
    I honestly wish that I was able to run events just do that I could run little mini events like that. I would love to see a mid round CLF strike team hit with some mcguffin that lets them arm the self destruct from the SD console or something. It spices things up mid round but also gives Marines twenty minutes to deal with the CLF as they try to defend a notoriously difficult to defend position. There's frankly lots of room for mini events to let the CLF be the terrorists they're meant to be. It would be neat if 10% or so of the rounds had the CLF doing something. Stealing Intel, sniping on the planet, raiding the Almayer, whatever. But I don't think it can realistically be implemented programmatically.
    If you somehow get the admeme position, don't forget to fuck benos over too. This trend of only hampering marines has to stop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    If you somehow get the admeme position, don't forget to fuck benos over too. This trend of only hampering marines has to stop.
    Oh, don't worry. I posted one of my ideas that fits with the theme of "CLF are terrorists and the Marines should hate them" because it was relevant to the thread. I have plenty of ideas that mess with xenos too. Like giving two survivors TC skills and a tank/APC with the speed upgrade and the mg cupola locked in. Possibly no main weapon. Because they were engineers and did what all engineers do in survival horror movies; they built a tricked out combat vehicle. The idea needs tweaking though. I'm not good enough with the finer points of tank balance to create a tank that's scary enough to ravagers that they can't just walk up to it and murder it but which also doesn't meme on all of the T1s it sees in the early game. I think it can be done with the right weapons loadout though.

Also I don't particularly feel like working through trial mod and mod to get admin. Plus I've never done admin anywhere so I'm not particularly qualified. I just love the idea of mini events.

Edit: I just want to see the look on the face of the runner who is scouting for survivors at 12:05 and runs into a tank. Absolutely priceless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool idea but gameplay has been streamlined so much it's impossible to add anything to it wihtout reworking everything.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    secondary shotgun slug thrower?