User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Ramble on RULE 4 (NOT CLICKBAIT)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation A Ramble on RULE 4 (NOT CLICKBAIT)

Hey yes you read that right Rule 4
    For those of you unfamiliar with Rule 4 see spoiler below
    (Yes it's tiny for a reason click on it and read it.)
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    I'd like to talk about this specific portion of the aforementioned rule "If you are being griefed, don�t retaliate - Adminhelp it and you�ll get healed. Shooting a griefer can cause you to get in trouble as well, and the combat logs you�re generating make it harder for Staff to prove who the real griefer is." I had an occurrence in game a couple days ago where a marine shot into a crowd of friendly players and downed another marine and injured myself. I played the situation as RP almost habitually, and retaliated. Now of course in any other setting I would chose a more passive method, but I downed the sod. I understand the concept of escalation, and provided a response suited for the scenario. A minute goes by and I receive a savory boink (I don't have a problem with this particular Mod, I think they're *cool*, but I'll withhold their privacy for the sake of progression) where I am then reminded of Rule 4.

I have a strong opinion supporting the idea that RP influences all and every player despite their personal preferences. I believe that emphasis on that ideology directly relating to the policy on retaliation should be encouraged. When you add the element of forgiveness and self-education the potential to focus efforts on those who disrupt the server opens up. Logically retention will follow, RP adds variety to an otherwise repetitive game-mode (Yes it's repetitive I don't believe anyone would argue against that) you'll keep the players you have without driving any away. In regards to manageability, I don't believe Mod tools have been given the proper loving they deserve, for an incident that occurs early to mid-round you should have a filter that isolates or searches a specific string of actions involving distinct entities. If this is something that the community would deem beneficial then I believe the tools should be developed for the Mod team and the rule should be altered. This is not a suggestion merely a query that I will likely submit on Gitlab depending on your responses.

Thank you for reading the entirety of my post, Godspeed.
    ~spicy fly~

Whitelisted Predator ChainsawMullet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's there so the situation isn't overcomplicated by excessive mixed logs and chaotic spam and murderboning.

Just take the aheal, dude.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to agree, until I heard that a lot of bystanders also got hurt in the crossfire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solidfury7 View Post
    I used to agree, until I heard that a lot of bystanders also got hurt in the crossfire.
    Right, I'm in no way attempting to say adminhelps for griefing shouldn't be allowed, but rather poke at the philosophy of using it as a last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawMullet View Post
    It's there so the situation isn't overcomplicated by excessive mixed logs and chaotic spam and murderboning.

Just take the aheal, dude.
    See previous reply, this is simply a discussion thread, merely observing the idea, Also I provided solutions to all three of the problems you stated in your reply.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spicy fly View Post
    Hey yes you read that right Rule 4
    For those of you unfamiliar with Rule 4 see spoiler below
    (Yes it's tiny for a reason click on it and read it.)
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    I'd like to talk about this specific portion of the aforementioned rule "If you are being griefed, don�t retaliate - Adminhelp it and you�ll get healed. Shooting a griefer can cause you to get in trouble as well, and the combat logs you�re generating make it harder for Staff to prove who the real griefer is." I had an occurrence in game a couple days ago where a marine shot into a crowd of friendly players and downed another marine and injured myself. I played the situation as RP almost habitually, and retaliated. Now of course in any other setting I would chose a more passive method, but I downed the sod. I understand the concept of escalation, and provided a response suited for the scenario. A minute goes by and I receive a savory boink (I don't have a problem with this particular Mod, I think they're *cool*, but I'll withhold their privacy for the sake of progression) where I am then reminded of Rule 4.

I have a strong opinion supporting the idea that RP influences all and every player despite their personal preferences. I believe that emphasis on that ideology directly relating to the policy on retaliation should be encouraged. When you add the element of forgiveness and self-education the potential to focus efforts on those who disrupt the server opens up. Logically retention will follow, RP adds variety to an otherwise repetitive game-mode (Yes it's repetitive I don't believe anyone would argue against that) you'll keep the players you have without driving any away. In regards to manageability, I don't believe Mod tools have been given the proper loving they deserve, for an incident that occurs early to mid-round you should have a filter that isolates or searches a specific string of actions involving distinct entities. If this is something that the community would deem beneficial then I believe the tools should be developed for the Mod team and the rule should be altered. This is not a suggestion merely a query that I will likely submit on Gitlab depending on your responses.

Thank you for reading the entirety of my post, Godspeed.
    ~spicy fly~
    There was a situation where these two marines torched and decapped me because I was shooting the queen's corpse over and over. When I ahelped, the mod didn't do anything about it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I remember it. You were killed after stepping I front of the girl shooting who I banned for EORG right?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,
    While I'm not an administrative member of the team I wanted to let you know that in our recent staff meeting this was brought up. Managers made it very clear that some people were enforcing this incorrectly and that people who retaliate shouldn't be punished as if they were also troublemakers.
    You should expect this to not be so much of an issue moving forward.
    Hope that helps.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok cool
    Bert 'SOAB' Beach CARGONIA
    Henrik & Leeroy SYNTHETIC
    Rau'ta H'chak YAUTJA

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

"Honestly, how can you hire this cunt? You must be really fucked up to hire someone like him."

sexy avatar by Manezinho

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer Time

Ok but for real, What Cakey said
    Head Developer & Marine Law Maintainer

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged