Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Novacti - Commander Application

Commander Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    Novacti

Player Name You Use Most?
    Odell Cromwell

Make a list of links to all of your applications and (job)ban appeals, including whitelist and staff apps, within the last year. Also, provide "Ban reason; Verdict" beside each (job)ban link
    N/A

Have you received any ban within the last month? How long was it and what for?
    N/A

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

How do you view the tool of Battlefield Execution to be used? What circumstances do you think it would be necessary to BE a member of the crew? Where do you think the Battlefield Execution Mechanic Differs from regular Execution and why?
    I believe that the BE is only to be used when there is no MP's or when the MP force is inadequate for dealing with the threat, only then will a BE will be executed. A BE will be preformed on a member of the crew when they perform certain heinous actions that have been condemned by space law to have such a sentence and the said person is not co-operative and is effectively avoiding the punishment, then the BE will be carried out. A BE is diffrent from a regular execution because a BE does not give the perp a chance to think, a chance to plead or a chance to resist, instead immediately terminating them without much time to think.

How will your Commanding Officer run his/her ship? Provide a detailed explanation on how he would handle situations that might commonly occur such as, a insubordinate Req, Engineering, MP, or Command Staff
    Odell would be a fair, kind and caring CO, however most times he would have a stiff upper lip, a calm and calculating composure, and a tight grip on the ship and its crew. But not too tight, he is chill enough to let out some jokes from time to time and let the marines taunt him/insult him without invoking his WRAITH.

When insubordination occurs, the MP's will be applied and a sentence for the perp be determined accordingly for their misdoings and mistakes. If there are no MP's, either lower-ranked personnel will be delegated to arrest the perp or I will do it myself. Sometimes, if the reason for insubordination is not that severe, the perp may just be left alone unless the security team is bored out of their mind. After a sentence is determined for the arrested perp, if the perp is in an importaind occupation onboard the Almayer, a suitable replacement will be found.

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    The commander's role is to delegate tasks and analyze the situation before making decisions and to take responsibility for the consequences that are subsequent to the decisions that are made.

As a player what do you think could be added for Commanding Officer to benefit the role?
    I think the commanding officer could do with addidional means of co-ordination and procuring intelligence, such as: a device for completely monitoring and sorting communication that passes through every channel, giving the commander to keep better track of information.

What do you think you could contribute by being whitelisted?
    I could provide adequate leadership onboard the Almayer, improving operational integrity by being a strong source of leadership and decision-making.

Your story (potential topics listed below)
    Odell originally began as a squad engineer, after a recommendation from the Institute of Space Wranglers, he joined the marines. Odell had a few uneventful deployments, until one fateful deployment, him and his battalion was ambushed by the CLF.

The CLF may have had inferior weapons, but they outnumbered the Marines 10 to 1. They fought long and hard, there weren't many marines left when defcon 1 was reached, and the CO decided to deploy the nuke. Odell was recalled and re-deployed with the remaining men and the nuke and activated the nuke as soon as they landed.

Only Odell and a few others survived until the explosion and only he survived the explosion, as the PO's were too cowardly to return while an armed nuke was on the planet.

Odell awoke back on the ship with tubes attached to every orifice on his body and a new rank pinned to him; Staff Sergeant. From there, he survived every protection detail he was sent on and every mishap that had happened. Until he was promoted to CMP. After leading his team of MP's and successfully repelling a mutiny, he was awarded CO for his leadership skills.
    Last edited by Novacti; 09-03-2019 at 07:40 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! I took a few good looks on your application and, I'm quite sorry to say that I'm not positively impressed.

Firstly, I'm not the best English speaker on the server, but I don't think you've got a sufficiently good grip on English to play a CO. You have quite many grammatical mistakes and even some spelling mistakes, and it makes the application quite hard to read.

Speaking about the application itself, I find it rather lackluster; the BE description is quite vague and doesn't correctly answer the sentence; check up on Marine Law, category Execution Privileges, to see when exactly you can BE. Use the BE only as a last-resort, or when you desperately need to put down an unruly marine and you're positively sure the MP's cannot arrive in time. Marine Law covers quite all of the possible charges, so that wouldn't be an issue.

Your CO description looks like he is just another generic, level-headed Captain, and while that is not an issue at all for me, I don't like your next answer in that category, the one related to insubordination. If you have no MP's you should never delegate someone ranked lower than SSGT to take care of the issue. Rather, deputize your XO/SO or Synth and let them perform the arrest. Read up on the Captain Code of Conduct, it tells you exactly when you can BE or not and when you can deputize, pardon etc.

The other answers are quite lackluster, but decent. What I seriously dislike about your application is the story; it is extremely short, quite boring to read, and it makes absolutely no sense, and here is why:
    1) Odell was already a squad engineer, but afterwards he joined the marines? Wasn't he already a marine, as a squad engineer, or was he part of these Space Wranglers?
    2) I find it highly unlikely for a force outnumbering a battalion 10 to 1, meaning about 3000-8000 men, to be able to ambush a marine force without being spotted. Plus, using a nuke against a rebel force would surely be a mark of shame for the USCM in public relations. Wouldn't they simply call in fire support or reinforcements?
    3) Odell survives a nuclear explosion, somehow. Avoid putting deus ex machinas in your story.
    4) Your character's rank progression route is rather baffling. As far as I know, you cannot jump directly from a Staff Sergeant to Lieutenant Commander without attending OCS, and you surely cannot bypass the rank of Commander and directly becoming a Captain for simply suppressing a mutiny.

I've never seen your character in-game. Maybe this is because of time-zones, but I still recommend you to play more and make yourself a positive reputation as XO.

I'm sorry, but this will be a -1 from me. Try to improve your app in the future, and fix your mistakes.
    Claire O'Reilly, the vitriolic Corporate Liaison!
    Cassie, the helpful Synthetic!
    Kre'Zuhl, the self-declared greatest worshipper of Thardha!

HRP Main to the Bone

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I was never very creative with my stories, however, I still believe that I can make a competent CO.

It IS possible to survive nuclear blasts, and it IS possible to be promoted from an NCO to an officer by attending the required courses beforehand. And, yes the promotions CAN be immediate, as promotions in the military are based on performance, education, qualifications, experience, and decorations. Suppressing an outright mutiny in the military is enough to get you promoted by at least 1 higher pay grade. (even if you are unconscious)

You can first hit the enemy with an ambush, then bring in re-enforcements as the ambush is commencing, then utilizing something like a flanking maneuver, effectively surrounding the enemies as they are busy fighting off the main ambushing force. Still fighting the same amount of men, just over not all at once.

You've never seen me because I live in Australia... Yeah...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I like to be a bit more lenient for the breakings of marine law, we're all here to have fun, no-one should have to sit in a cell for 30 mins in their favorite game because they messed up somewhere. When people break marine law intentionally, I try to be lenient as well, to persuade them to not break such laws again, as most of the people who break the law intentionally either dislike something about the game or it's IC, punishing them in such a way would only increase their number of attempts to break marine law. Which is why I prefer having the MP's arrest when they are illegally threatening my position in command, same with threats to ship, only if they are able to make it in time/is able to adequately deal with it.
    When there is a threat to the people around me, I will hesitate to BE, given that I cannot solve it a non-violent way.
    Last edited by Novacti; 09-03-2019 at 08:40 AM.

The Neverplayer Commodore
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well mate, I believe the big problem here is that, most of the COs don�t know you, due to probably your timezone.

My advise to you is check your Timezone and compare it to America and Europe, as most COs are from there, and try to play Command roles, during those periods.

Best of luck.
    Captain Morgan Young

Charlie Squad Medic main and the worst nade Thrower you Will ever see.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @smov, if you could, can you generalize the times that you would expect for Americans/Europeans to be most active?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Novacti; 09-05-2019 at 12:31 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll give you a scenario that has played out before ingame.

You, the Commander, decide to try something completely different from standard drops. Most drops end up in creating a FOB at their designated LZ, but you believe that a rescue mission such as this distress beacon warrants requires action and requires it fast. Therefore, you decide to put Alpha and Bravo together to scout the West of the jungle colony, LV-642. As for the East portion, you put Charlie and Delta together and decide for them to go there. You get Alpha and Bravo to drop at LZ-2, and Charlie as well as Delta to drop at LZ-1.

Alpha squad's SL argues with you, both publicly, and in Command channel that he refuses to follow your "stupid plan" and gets his men to create a FOB at LZ-1, despite dropping at LZ-2. Bravo has lost its additional support and is now waiting at LZ-2 for further orders. Charlie decides to follow Alpha's example, and tells you to "fuck off with your stupid plan". Delta is now stranded at LZ-1 without additional support and decides to stay as guard duty of LZ-1 due to Charlie's insubordination.

What would you do in this situation?

Also, can you give some examples of novel tactics you'd try? By your forum activity you're entirely new, but this app could have more effort. Go into detail on what types of strats you'd try and I think people could be willing to give you a chance.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Enyonggg,

For your situation, I will design multiple plans for the different situations that may or may not occur.

Firstly, I would order Bravo to accompany Alpha to LZ-1 while slightly fanning out to recover survivors, then go and scout with Charlie squad, still rescuing any survivors. With Delta holding LZ-1 until Alpha arrives, then fixing power at engineering. After that, Delta is to slightly extend to atmos and hold the roads that lead to nexus, LZ-2 and fitness fo assist in the recovery of any survivors when FOB is fully constructed and Alpha is ordered to fortify Nexus. As for Charlie, I would assume that they have gone to scout wherever. I shall leave them to their own devices with Charlie backing them up until the situation changes.

Situation 1: Bravo and Alpha gets ambushed on their way to LZ-1
    Bravo retract and regroup with Alpha, whilst both squads maintaining movement to LZ-1, if both of the squads are pinned, Charlie is ordered to give them support. If Charlie is non-compliant, Delta is sent. Support for Alpha and Bravo is to be kept until they reach LZ-1, after that, the plan is to be continued.

Situation 2: Delta cannot hold LZ-1 until Alpha and Bravo arrives
    Delta is ordered to evac. Bravo retracts and acts as bounding overwatch with Alpha as they try to take back LZ-1. If they cannot retake LZ-1, Delta lands at LZ-2 with construction materials and construct FOB there. Bravo and Alpha fortify nexus if they can, if not, fall back to engineering and get power up. Charlie is to flank enemies at LZ-1 doring the retake, if the retake has failed, Charlie is to keep scouting for survivors.

Situation 3: Charlie gets ambushed while doing their own thing
    Delta landed with Charlie, and is, therefore, the closest. Delta will split off into two fireteams, one holding FOB and the other helping Charlie. Bravo is to disconnect from Alpha and flank the enemy attacking Charlie.

Multiple of these situations can occur at once, during those occurrences, a combination of the plans for the respective situations is to be deployed.

All situation plans are to be enacted until the end-goal of the new plan is achieved.

TACTICS THAT I WOULD LIKE TO TRY:

Deployment tactics:
    Stealth-ops: Only IO's and a sparse amount of highly trained marines are to be deployed with MotionDectector's and silencers. The objective is to stay hidden and collect all intel until a full understanding of the situation is achieved, then further orders will be issued.

Preemptive war (Only to be used for a confirmed threat): Briefing is ASAP after cryo awakening, troops are to be deployed with civilian medical and engineering personnel ASAP. Squads will group up and attack a designated sector with a number of engineering and medical personnel tagging along. No defenses are to be constructed, after deployment, both dropships are to be used for CAS.

Guerilla warfare: No defenses are to be constructed, instead, the squads will focus on moving and mobility while perform hit and run attacks, informing other squads of their situation as they go. The tank is not to be deployed.

Squad tactics:
    Bounding overwatch:
    Used to acquire and maintain large amounts of area in a reasonable amount of time
    Requires two squads, good co-ordination between the two

One squad pushed forward while the other is either holding their position and covering the other squad as they advance to both assist in the advance and act as a defensive barrier if the advance goes wrong and the advancing squad needs a retreat. If the advance is successful, then the advancing squad holds their position while the supporting squad moves up to where the other squad has advanced and repeat the maneuver. Another type of this maneuver can be done with alternating, less organized squads.

Hammer and anvil:
    Used to gain otherwise un-gainable ground in a long amount of time
    Requires two to three squads

One or two squad/s does a slow push while a better armed third squad rushes the enemy, performing quick hit and run skirmishes either flanking or utilizing the covering fire of the other two squads.

Rush B site:
    Used to eliminate all enemies as a very rapid pace, however, at very heavy losses, this is good for hitting a hive then there are little hostiles left and not letting any escape
    Requires as many squads as possible

All squads participating will wear as light of armor as possible, with heavy-hitting and fast-firing weapons, charge the enemy position with no retreat unless ordered by someone equal rank to or above Lieutenant.
    Last edited by Novacti; 09-05-2019 at 05:55 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mention once or twice that if no MPs are present and there's an issue, that you will designate 'lower-ranked personnel' to take care of it. Who or what are these 'lower-ranked personnel' specifically?
    Trial Moderator: 4/18/19 - 5/2/19 / Moderator: 5/3/19 - 10/1/19 / Senior Moderator: 10/2/19 - 12/26/19 / Trial Admin: 12/27/19 - 1/11/20 / Mod Manager: 1/12/20 - 4/18/20

Cerwick/Balakura/etc
    Discord: noah#7322

Former staff member and long-time CO Council member, now I just wave my boomer cane at people when I want something to complain about.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @scsnv,

If I was the CO, I would send the XO and some trusted personnel that is not a staff officer, given that the XO is not doing more important things. If I was XO, then I would send anyone who is loyal, willing and is not a staff officer. Also, preference is given to who is able to perform the task and deal with the problem best, such as a higher CQC skill for non-lethal arrests and other specialized personnel for their specific skills.
    Last edited by Novacti; 09-05-2019 at 09:20 AM.