User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Novacti - Commander Application

The Neverplayer Commodore
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right I recently had him under me as an Executive Officer. I let him run the Entire operation while, at the beggining I gave him some support but then I was dragged to some CL and Weyland Yutani RP which turned out to be really cool.

Anyways When I was gone, He had 1 SO in the CIC if I am not mistaken and ran the ENTIRE operation by himself, leading to a Marine Major. I Know he is capable of Commanding and he understand seems to understand what this role means for all the other players. I also enjoyed the way How you tried to RP the situation with the CL when I was gone and the way you always paid attention to the squads.

Having said this I believe you have what it takes to earn this whitelist and I would like to convince the Council members, if possible, in the same manner.

Remember of the small Things I�ve taught you in the CIC and you will do great in the future.

Having said this, +1
    Captain Morgan Young

Charlie Squad Medic main and the worst nade Thrower you Will ever see.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mention twice that you would send anyone that is not a Staff Officer, but a Staff Officer is who you have to deputize in the event that there are no MPs. You are not permitted to send anyone except Staff Officers to do an MP's job (see the Commanding Officer Provisions on the Marine Law page).

In general, your application is pretty bland. Your BE answer is somewhat okay, but I wish you would've gone a little deeper into what the difference is between a BE and a regular execution - you mostly just scratched the surface and said 'well, it's quicker'. Yes, but a BE is - most notably - extrajudicial. You're skipping past all the normal processes; charges, cuffs, jail cell, appeals, execution announcement, and so on. It's just boom, done, and a person is permanently taken out of the round. I'm less interested in whether a 'perp' has "a chance to think" and more about whether you would be capable of understanding when it is/isn't a good time to carry out a BE, and properly doing so.

Your story is also a bit glaring to me. You say that you'd play as a "fair, kind and caring CO", but I'm not getting any indication of that in your story. This isn't a problem exclusive to you, but the play-by-play 'X's squad fought an OP on Y planet, and then he was promoted to the rank of ___' kind of writing simply doesn't tell me enough to have faith that you can tell a good story. Which, ultimately, is what being a CO is; you're at the forefront of a story, which you're meant to conduct and direct.

You seem well-written and smart. You write labyrinths of language, maybe, but I didn't have any difficulty understanding it (mostly because I used to be the same way). And from what I understand after speaking to some others, you've done a good job so far as an XO. Basically, the impression I get from this app is that you've got a head on your shoulders, but you haven't put in enough time in to fully understand some of the finer points of being CO, and you don't have a good enough story or answers for me to look past that fault.

I think in a month or so from now, you could do really well with a fresh app and some more experience. For now, however, it's a -1 from me.
    Last edited by scsnv; 09-05-2019 at 09:20 PM.
    Trial Moderator: 4/18/19 - 5/2/19 / Moderator: 5/3/19 - 10/1/19 / Senior Moderator: 10/2/19 - 12/26/19 / Trial Admin: 12/27/19 - 1/11/20 / Mod Manager: 1/12/20 - 4/18/20

Cerwick/Balakura/etc
    Discord: noah#7322

Former staff member and long-time CO Council member, now I just wave my boomer cane at people when I want something to complain about.

Whitelisted Captain FGRSentinel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly from my few encounters with you ingame I'm mostly indifferent towards your character, so I'll focus on the application itself. The main point I'll focus on is the BE question, which, I'm sad to say, I'm not entirely satisfied with the given answer to. Beyond what Scsnv said, BEs are meant to be a serious thing that a CO needs to be able to defend their use of at any time. It's not meant to punish someone because they killed someone else and there's no MPs around and it's not meant to be used in place of a standard execution, in my mind.

So, sadly, I have to give you a -1, but I think you'll definitely have a good chance next month if you take the time to practice as XO and read up on WL guidelines.
    Retired CO Councilor (Winter 2019-Spring 2020, Winter 2020-Spring 2021)

Goddard Pearsall, the Pilot that (almost) always has Souto

Unofficial source of help for new/inexperienced POs. Message me here or on Discord if you'd like advise on anything.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @scsnv,
    You asked me for a specific answer to what I would do in the current situation. Marine law states that the CO MAY deputize SO's, but is not legally required to. I personally would choose to deputize other members of the staff as not only are SO's a rare species, a good SO is worth a whole squad of marines. I would rather deviate from the recommendation that marine law has for such a situation than to waste an overwatch officer for a measly arrest, sacrificing operational integrity and putting a high-ranking officer at risk.

I do not believe that being a good CO requires to be good at composing good stories. Like you said, you are at the forefront of a story. However, you only have limited control to what happens, unlike a story that is written, where events are already determined. In my opinion, a good CO has to be flexible and adapt to the situation, keep a cool head under pressure and make the correct decisions based on the information given to him/her and the context of the action. Sure, I am lacking in creativity, and sometimes RPing requires creativity when it comes to paperwork and other situations, I compensate for this in my ability to pre-plan and derive contextual information for making decisions on a whim.

@FGRSentinel
    I never said the BE would be used for punishment. I only said I would not BE unless the situation is overwhelming and cannot be dealt with non-lethally. I have also stated when I would be using the BE; at times when I am around a person that is a severe hindrance to the wellbeing to the crew (harming them intentionally), the ship itself (intentionally setting off bombs .etc) and illegally threatening my position (assassination, blackmail .etc). Only at these times will a BE be executed.

In the case of crew harm and/or ship damage, if it is too severe and there is nobody to deal with it, I will personally seek out the perp and execute the BE. For threats to my position, the only time I would BE is self-defense during an assassination.

Hope this clears up any misunderstandings and provides more information about my way of thinking and acting.
    Last edited by Novacti; 09-06-2019 at 01:04 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The roles which have security skill (excluding MPs) are as follows; CO, XO, SO, CE, RO, and the synth. However, as a mod and a CO Council member, I am telling you that if you deputize anyone but the SOs, you are very likely to get into trouble. Or maybe the XO (if you cannot use SOs/none are around) - the only real exception to this is synths, because they don't really have to be 'deputized'; they are capable of carrying out Marine Law at any time as part of their programming, although they generally shouldn't if MPs are available. It wasn't a question of what you would do, it was a question to see whether or not you're familiar with the rules and guidelines which COs are expected to know/adhere to.

What the question demonstrates to me is that there is a discrepancy between what you know as a newer Command player vs. some of the finer points of understanding you're expected to know as a CO. Which isn't an issue - everyone was starting out at some point - but it just means that you need more time to settle in and hone in on your skills before you're ready to sit in the Captain's chair.

You're not incorrect that writing a story and roleplaying in a story aren't 100% comparable. Is it a perfect 1:1 match of an individual's roleplaying performance in-game? No. But is it a pretty damn good indicator of someone's quality/ability to fill a RP role? Absolutely. I'll even go a step further - here's what I look for when I read a story;
    • An acceptable level of understanding in English and its mechanics.
    • An adequate knowledge of CM/its lore/its mechanics.
    • The ability to tell a story while serving as a character. You might not have a complete birds-eye view of the story as a writer would, but you're still expected to play your part and lead the story in an enjoyable direction. You're entitled to disagree with that, but that's really just a fundamental disagreement with how whitelist applications work and it's outside of my authority. To be clear, I don't think your story is bad, it's not poorly written, but it doesn't show me that you're capable of doing what's expected of you. Really, it doesn't show me much of anything, except that your guy survived a nuke.

As I said, you seem like you'd be a good fit, but this application simply doesn't reflect your abilities. And I wouldn't know whether to chalk it up to a lack of effort, a misunderstanding of what we as a council/community look for, or something else, but it leads me to believe that - for your sake, and for the sake of the people who you would potentially be leading - you can use another month to just hash all your confusions and uncertainties and come back with an app that exemplifies your qualities. Remember, we have a channel on the Discord related solely to whitelist applications (#whitelist-app-help) where we would be more-than-happy to discuss and work on applications with you. Similarly, you can contact any one of us Council members for any questions, comments, or concerns that you may have.
    Trial Moderator: 4/18/19 - 5/2/19 / Moderator: 5/3/19 - 10/1/19 / Senior Moderator: 10/2/19 - 12/26/19 / Trial Admin: 12/27/19 - 1/11/20 / Mod Manager: 1/12/20 - 4/18/20

Cerwick/Balakura/etc
    Discord: noah#7322

Former staff member and long-time CO Council member, now I just wave my boomer cane at people when I want something to complain about.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, I understand. Thank you for your time.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not going to fault you for not knowing SO Deputizing. That is something only CO whitelisted players would know off the top of their heads.

So thats fine. Nobody else should be you piling on you for it. However I think I can go neutral and see a few more rounds from you.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there, so ive seen you be my XO a few times now, and I think you do it very good, you definitely have a good basis to worrk off of. The SO Deputization, is not something you desperately need to know about so dont stress yourself out too much on that one my friend. The BIG main points i will say are this, take the next 30 days, play XO/SO OFTEN. Use that time to draft up another app and dont be afraid to look to other apps for guidance, PM me on the forums if you want some help with it.

I have no doubt you will be accepted if you follow these steps, I cant +1 but i dont think you deserve a -1 for this app as you show alot of promise.

Im going to abstain from this vote.
    Former member of the Commanders Council, PM me if you want help with making a whitelist or have a question.

The Helllbanian CO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After taking a read through the application, and being a participant in a couple of your rounds, I have drawn a few conclusions.

Also evident by your join date on the forums you are a new player.

You have yet to learn and gain experience on how things work around here. You have yet to read on regulayions; Marine law, SOP, server rules; The provisions written in these for a CO.

An not only that a CO needs to know those at the tip of their fingers, it is also knowledge that any aspiring player should have.

And evident to that is how you answered the question about the BE, while its already clearly specified in server rules and marine law.

Can you be a CO right now? I'm frankly not confident.

But can you be one? I believe you do have good potential to be, once youre learned more and gained more experience.

However for now, youll have to cultivate the virtue of patience. It time, you will be on point.

For now I'm simply not confident on this and cannot +1 this application.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I trust most all of the COs here and will be going with -1.

Your app isn�t bad nor is it excellent. What�s an issue, and it�s little, is that you may need a little more time to grow into the understanding of the role and experience as well as game time. I don�t fault you for the deputizing answer. Some things only come from experience and extensive involvement with aspects of a role. CO is no exception.

You�ll be a good CO, just give it some more gameplay in XO and garner name recognition among COs. When you come back you�ll be more than ready I�m sure based on this app.

I can�t in good conscience not give a affirmative or negative so -1 for now - with the caveat that I believe you are close to ready, but not there yet.

Best of luck!