User Tag List

Thread: Quick medical doctor questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Quick medical doctor questions

So, I've played for quite a while now (approx. A year, a little longer if counting non CM servers) and played a large amount as doctor. However, I still have some questions about the guides/commandments which seemed niche, and since I left for a while and just came back :

1. It says to carry a knife and lighter in order to deal low damage in order to reapply kits. Does this work, or will I just be stabbing a damaged limb for more damage?
    2. Is the od threshold ON the number, or above? I'd rather not poison my poor 'renes with 20 oxy, rather than 19
    3. Is cryo still vital or can it be ignored in lieu of doing standard surgery/chems? Is just a normal cryo/clonex mix good, or should I add all the chems I can?
    4. Is it better to quickly make a batch of chems from the start, or to convert bottles to pills?
    5. People say medical has been updated/made more grindy, any recent changes in the last few months or so?
    6. Will a handheld scanner show unknown objects, or only full body scanners? (eg, larvae as unknown) or is it just safer to body scan everyone and triage?

Any other uncommon/changed tips or updates in the last few months would be great too, or if the commandments has any outdated info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also I hate to derail my own thread but I can't use ctrl+wasd to look around anymore (in hotkey mode), which while it isn't major, means it's harder to look around with lights/rp. Am I just used to other servers, or did I just reset a macro by accident?

Also, any good macros for doctors/general gameplay? Eg, grabbing/releasing bodies without physically clicking on 'em

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Just use bica/kelo your kits are limited pills are not if you willing to chem
    2. On the number but obvisouly wont stay on the number for long, use dyvo for to help detox if you cant detox right away
    3. Cyro is for memes, just use the bloody pills and send them on there way
    4. What, you only need one pill bottle as a doc and that is imi-alky to deal with brain and eye dmg without actually doing surgery on those parts
    5. No idea
    6. Nothing shows what is in the chest expect opening them up, just ask if they been crabbed. Also can just remove shrapnel now with a knife so just do that, if nothing left to remove but still need to remove something it larva.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cryos are good when you're overflowing with marines and you've got critted bois. Put them in the cryo and watch them get fixed up in ~20 seconds, it's way faster than any kind of pill and if you make a 120u beaker with 30u cryoxadone 30u clonexadone 12u bica 12u kelo 12u derma 12u dylo 12u tricordrazine you should be able to fix them even faster.

Plus, Cryos fix IB brute damage too, at a way faster rate than Bica OD!
    Claire O'Reilly, the vitriolic Corporate Liaison!
    Cassie, the helpful Synthetic!
    Kre'Zuhl, the self-declared greatest worshipper of Thardha!

HRP Main to the Bone

Synthetic Council Member QuickLoad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just be aware that scalpels cannot remove shrapnel, only knives. So if you can keep an actual survival knife with you(from req or just ask a marine) especially if you're a field doctor. Yes you can instruct marines to remove it themselves but at that point it's more efficient to just do it for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoman8 View Post
    1. It says to carry a knife and lighter in order to deal low damage in order to reapply kits. Does this work, or will I just be stabbing a damaged limb for more damage?
    2. Is the od threshold ON the number, or above? I'd rather not poison my poor 'renes with 20 oxy, rather than 19
    3. Is cryo still vital or can it be ignored in lieu of doing standard surgery/chems? Is just a normal cryo/clonex mix good, or should I add all the chems I can?
    4. Is it better to quickly make a batch of chems from the start, or to convert bottles to pills?
    5. People say medical has been updated/made more grindy, any recent changes in the last few months or so?
    6. Will a handheld scanner show unknown objects, or only full body scanners? (eg, larvae as unknown) or is it just safer to body scan everyone and triage?
    1. It can work but it's better to just use pills, use this as a last resort I suppose
    2. Above
    3. Cryo can knock people out if they have popped lungs and heal damage so you can fix bones.
    4. Immediate pill bottles, it's pretty standard to make multiple batches of iron/imialky roundstart. Anything else is just QOL improvements for medics.
    5. You can right click your lifesaver belt/medical storage rig and select "toggle belt mode." This will allow you to take pills directly out of bottles instead of the bottle itself.
    6. Only full body.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the replies! But for question 1, I meant if the marine were dead-but-reviveable. Do pills work on dead guys?
    And for the knife trick, do I just hold a knife and right click - pull out object, or something else?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pills don't work on dead people, but usually you want dead people you're about to revive to be pilled anyways, so that they kick in as soon as they're back alive.
    Tyson 'Bunny' Sphere

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. I wouldnt bother. If you are a doctor just hit them with some tricord. It will heal all without wasting your limited kits.
    2. On the number but it ticks down fast so only worry about going beyond it.
    3. Cyro is the single most overlooked and one of the best tools in medical. It heals way faster than pills, cures all forms of damage, stablizes, and even cures IB. It even works when medical has no power and anyone can use it. As a medic when doing er triage, I defib people, throw them into cyro for 10-15 seconds and then they are often conscious again. And after the ship crashes you can heal IB without doing surgery. Its fantastic for triage.
    4. Most pills are quicker to make by doing recipes. I can make oxy faster than pulling out the oxy bottle 16x. But you can make 15u tricords really fast with just 2x inna and 2x dylov bottles. Tribica is 1x inna 1x dylov 2x bica and doesnt drain the chem machine. I use both. Doctors vary here. Just make sure you put the bottles back.
    5. Its grindy most of the time, the problem I see is what I call the "tides of medical". First round everyone plays other roles and its nothing but bald medical, patients everywhere and chaos.. everyone wishs they went doctor. So next round all the robust people go medical, and then stand around bored because no one lives to make it to medical; and you have 5 people who all play cmo waiting around. So then the robust play other roles... repeat.
    Its very hit or miss and some rounds you have 3 patients. Medic is far more exciting.
    6. Do both. Newer doctors kill people all the time not seeing the blood %damage on the hand scanner. Or not checking their work and leaving an open wound. To actually answer your question, only body scanner shows unknown objects.

The biggest change is the only "difficult" surgery IE ruptured lungs has been made super easy with suxo, a new chem that paralyzes. It metabolizes quickly though so keep a syringe ready.