QuickLoad - Yautja Application

Yautja Whitelist Application
    Byond ID:
    QuickLoad

Marine Name
    Leon 'Top' Konrad

Name of the Yautja Character you wish to play
    Garook Shi'ata

Have you banned in the past month or are currently banned from other servers?
    I have not been, thankfully.

Are you familiar with the Predator Code Of Honor?
    Yes! and hopefully I'm up to good standards. I have been reading the code of honor since august where Bancrose instructed me to prepare myself ahead of time, so I did so and studied.

Yautja Character Story
    So, this story starts off a little slow. But ideally as you read into it you will get a more developed sense and I hope that by the end you will understand Shi�ata�s backstory and what made him into the character he is now. I also wanted to develop all parts of the story instead of focusing on a tunnel-visioned first-person view(which I did experiment with) and not rush into it, which is the reason for the length. There are some parts that I excluded to place more emphasis on certain areas, and it is certainly not perfect, however I hope that you enjoy it nonetheless!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

ps small nitpick: I chose not to capitalize most human terms which wouldn't denote to a title such as 'marine' 'predator' while others, less commonly used but 'alien' terms were, 'Xenomorph' 'Yautja'. I did look into this but I couldn't find out the proper solution.

Describe how your Yautja acts, and how you intend to play them
    Shi�ata is a very composed and virtuous predator. Though, he can sometimes become morally conflicted. He�s extremely devoted to the twin demigods of Justice and Honor, Mor�Tekai and Gor�Tekai, however in extension to this he is dismayed by things he may observe as unjust. He feels a desire to protect the innocent weak from unjust harm, however this of course can conflict with his Yautja traditions and what he�s been taught. He is also more disconnected working in tandem with other predators due to his backstory and previous experiences, however he has great respect and companionship for his hellhound(s).

Shi�ata generally does not care for trophies for their flair but instead for actual practical usage, and this, if made known, may garner some disapproval from his kin. For this reason, if Shi�ata does something that would gather him such poor reputation, he generally tries to be sneaky and silent about it.

In addition, if left alone to his own devices he will usually personalize an environment to make it suitable as his hunting grounds, nothing overt of course, as it�s essentially a large deceiving cage to strike his prey in.

The prey he chooses to hunt is often those that exalt a high standard of duty, honor, bravery, or justice. If he�s uncertain, he will spend time stalking his potential prey before committing into the hunt. He takes his hunts VERY seriously and places his full concentration into each and every step of the way.

These traits of character development go further in depth and then some more in my story.

In your own words, describe the difference between an honor duel and a hunt
    An honor duel is a melee duel to the death. A Yautja offers it as the most prestigious type of duel there is. Every step should be taken to ensure that this sacred battle upholds the highest standards of honor, and in extension to that often respect and dignity, going both ways. In other words, there definitely should be no �playing dirty� with deceiving or unfair tactics.

A hunt is conducted by primarily males of the Yautja for essentially the purpose of sporting(females mostly do so for food). They select a single prey and ideally kill them, afterwards gathering a �trophy�(an artifact collected from their prey) for them to keep. Hunts are also specific and selected, it is still a keystone in Yautja tradition. If prey is unworthy then there is no need for selection nor the gathering of a trophy; they simply don�t deserve the attention of a predator.

I should probably add that both of these are �one-on-ones� and only melee/throwable weapons are permitted as most other methods lack honor.

How do you intend on interacting with other predators during a round?
    Shi�ata, although disapproving of his past experiences with his kin, is still extremely humble and virtuous. He will always give the benefit of the doubt away and never will decline a friendly companion when offered. He will generally respect the beliefs of all others, even if he secretly disapproves of them. Even when insulted, he can usually tolerate it. However if the legitimate honor of a close friend, or god is put at stake, he becomes rather aggressive to defend that honor as it�s a serious insult to what he believes is his duty to preserve.

Why do you want a predator whitelist?
    I want a predator whitelist because I enjoy making others happy. Specifically I enjoy producing roleplay, in other communities I�ve been in(on other games) I always have got the most enjoyment from producing content for others to interact with. Out of all the roles in CM, I believe that interacting with a predator is not only (generally) the most unique, but also the easiest to make a lasting significant effect/character development with via roleplay. Making that one marine or xeno go �Wow!� just as I have encountered in my first run-in with predators is quite a satisfying feat even if it�s just one person. If I can make even one person's day better then I�m more than happy to do so.(same stuff with my job and irl in general) Outside of that, I do appreciate the bits and pieces of conflict inside the Yautja religions and everything with that and including that contributes to the roleplay, something which I enjoy greatly. This is my first and only community on SS13 and it�s less RP than what I�m used to on other platforms, which is totally fine, but it�s those small, memorable moments that just make it all worth playing.

Feel free to ask me if you want me to elaborate on anything!

Do you understand that any player - donor or otherwise - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our rules or disobey the Predator Code of Honor?
    Yes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey hey hey, it's your good ol' councilmember here.

Let's see if you can survive question round.

1. You beat up another Yautja during a honor duel and you come out victorious. The both of you have fought honorably and with common respect. How do you proceed at the end ?

2. You have been hunting a marine for a while now and find yourself in conversation with him and his group. Whilst he himself is an honorable prey, worthy of the hunt, the three other marines are unworthy. What do you do ?

3. You find yourself conflicting with what is happening on the hunting grounds. You disapprove of the hunting methods or choice of prey two of your brothers are making. What do you do ?
    "Don't make me put this beanbag in a place where it fits marine."

Medic/Doc : Nick 'Bitter' Sweetwater
    Predator : Aenth An'th

Synthetic Council Member QuickLoad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicksone View Post
    Hey hey hey, it's your good ol' councilmember here.

Let's see if you can survive question round.

1. You beat up another Yautja during a honor duel and you come out victorious. The both of you have fought honorably and with common respect. How do you proceed at the end ?

2. You have been hunting a marine for a while now and find yourself in conversation with him and his group. Whilst he himself is an honorable prey, worthy of the hunt, the three other marines are unworthy. What do you do ?

3. You find yourself conflicting with what is happening on the hunting grounds. You disapprove of the hunting methods or choice of prey two of your brothers are making. What do you do ?
    Hi Nick! Nice to meet you ^^
    Let's see..

1. It is an honor duel, I am honor-bound to finish him off til he is dead and also gather a trophy. At that point my character will probably destroy his body and remaining equipment so that his adversary can still retain his honor knowing that his precious gear did not go into the wrong hands. This would help his conscience rest easier if the opposing Yautja was a respectable figure. Shi'ata might pity him depending on how he fought, however honor and duty will still come first. However, he will likely offer him the opportunity for last words if he was incapacitated/downed before dealing the killing blow.

2. ps I just want to say that Shi'ata most likely would not get in a conversation with his prey and 3 random marines, it does not really fit his type of hunt nor character, that said:
    I would do my best to single him out and make it clear that I was hunting him and him only, whether that is through communication, intimidation, or other. Instructing the other marines to vacate. If the three marines do not back off, then I have a couple options.
    I will likely try to hunt him nonetheless, and ensure the other marines do not intervene. I imagine you are implying that they may, so incase they do:
    I can stick around and fight the three, hoping that he who is worthy does not intervene, unlikely. This option is foolish since I'll probably end up fighting all 4 AND lose the honorable prey in the process unless I were to use melee weapons against them all. Even so, there are better options out there.
    Another option is to grab my prey and drag him away from the others.
    Another option is to send in a hellhound or another predator at my disposal to ward the team into smaller contingents.(completely unnecessary imo)

So I would 9/10 times definitely (unless other variables are at play) break contact, withdraw, and stalk from afar, until he was alone or nearly alone. If he never presents an opportunity, that's okay, there is more prey out there to hunt.
    And besides, from an OOC perspective, I'm not dead-set on challenging this one marine. Every case is different, but in general, I'd rather not engage 3+ players over the sake of wanting to hunt one. A case where that may apply is if he stole a piece of my gear or took down another Yautja or something. Not the most concise answer, I know. My point essentially is that Shi'ata would not be stubborn or deadset on this single marine generally, he will either find a new one or wait for an opportunity to present itself.

3. Very interesting question. It's a little broad so let's give the example of... A marine bested a predator in a duel and spared his life. That predator gathered his brother and now plan to retailiate by striking him with HPCs. Shi'ata would very quickly voice his disapproval to the two Yautjas(ie, "That is not the proper way, brothers, I do not suggest you carry your combat as such."), and if need be escalate to cite and insult their lack of honor("Your vengeance and greed is reaching your mind, reconsider and think this through brother." "You cannot! Have you no honor? This is appaling to the gods! I will not allow you to continue." etc). If they continue to carry out the plan nonetheless Shi'ata would be absolutely outraged and resort to violence. He would rather die than live knowing that a clear injustice was being committed without his intervention. He strongly believes that if he sees a wrong he should right it rather than be a bystander.

In almost every case, Shi'ata would be outraged at any injustice or lack of honor in general. It is generally a series of escalation, he takes note > disapproves/warns > ceases.
    This wasn't included in the question however if say a Xeno was attacking a doctor performing field surgery(who was innocent) he would less likely intervene than if a Yautja did it(where he would almost definitely intervene). This is because he holds his kin to a far higher standard since they should know better than to break the code of honor. A xeno attacking a human, innocent or not, is just like a human attacking a xeno, it is an animal's nature, but a Yautja should know better than to hunt an innocent.
    Last edited by QuickLoad; 09-05-2019 at 09:40 AM. Reason: slight addition and typo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm not convinced. Question 2 was a trick question. Lookup what unworthy prey actually are.

Question 1 had me doubting again. You are not forced to kill your dueler in an honor duel ... You can choose to spare their life.

Unconvinced but I'll wait for the votes of my fellow councillors.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm not convinced. Question 2 was a trick question. Lookup what unworthy prey actually are.

Question 1 had me doubting again. You are not forced to kill your dueler in an honor duel ... You can choose to spare their life.

Unconvinced but I'll wait for the votes of my fellow councillors.
    Indeed I answered the trick question of #2 improperly, as he(the honorable prey) would too be unworthy if he received assistance.(assuming in the question you meant that the marines would engage)
    but for 1 it is how my character would react. He is very honor driven, and considers it his duty to finish an honorable duel through and through despite what conflictions he may feel, I'm aware of the mercy rules that's why I used it as an example in question 3 ^^
    Last edited by QuickLoad; 09-05-2019 at 10:40 AM. Reason: clarification and typo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickLoad View Post
    Indeed I answered the trick question of #2 improperly, as he(the honorable prey) would too be unworthy if he received assistance.(assuming in the question you meant that the marines would engage)
    but for 1 it is how my character would react. He is very honor driven, and considers it his duty to finish an honorable duel through and through despite what conflictions he may feel, I'm aware of the mercy rules that's why I used it as an example in question 3 ^^
    Hmmm seems like I missed that. Question 2 was a trick question because unworthy prey will always have done something wrong to a Yautja in the past or is wearing Yautja gear. Therefor a group with unworthy ones in it will never be just a conversation, it'll always be a combat situation.

I'll see what my fellow councillors have to say and then cast my vote.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm seems like I missed that. Question 2 was a trick question because unworthy prey will always have done something wrong to a Yautja in the past or is wearing Yautja gear. Therefor a group with unworthy ones in it will never be just a conversation, it'll always be a combat situation.

I'll see what my fellow councillors have to say and then cast my vote.
    Ahh I see. Thank you for the clarification, I wasn't aware that unworthy prey were engaged on sight cause it read 'May be engaged by predator' IIRC and I thought that just meant extremely poor terms(ie the pred has a choice). I figured since they were unworthy then they would not even be worth predator's attention in the first place and he could simply break contact and/or avoid them entirely instead of spending the time to kill them.

I'm gonna head off to bed now(0400) but I will be back tmw to answer any questions that you or any people might have, thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i want to point out that nowhere in the rules are you forced to kill unworthy prey

they are not abominations, whom are disgraces to yautja-kind and must be put down at all costs. even in gear recovery you are allowed to spare marines so long as the gear is, one way or another, recovered. unworthy prey are simply people that can be dealt with however you please, whereas worthy prey are people whom you must treat honorably and fight against without using your dishonorable weapons.

it never explicitly states you must kill unworthy, only that you may use your full force if you so wish. if you wish to treat them just like worthy prey, then you may.

From //showthrea...tor-Honor-Code, underneath headline "Predator Honor Duels":

"The duel must be fought as honorable as possible and is to the death, however, it's recommended that if you knock down or disarm your rival, you let them recover if they can before a final blow."

i think quickload has a good attitude for a whitelist and has an app that is pretty okay

+1
    Last edited by Kineem; 09-05-2019 at 01:42 PM.
    Chance Warden

Duke the Synthetic, Karr'Thesh the Yautja
    ex-synth councilman and retired moderator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kineem View Post
    shortened
    "Predators may also show mercy to an honorable prey who fought well or outsmarted the Predator, the Predator may take an item or limb from said Prey as a trophy and allow them to live."

Never said that he was forced to kill unworthy prey. But unworthy prey becomes unworthy by actually chasing a predator around/ Wearing a predator's gear or by being dumb and LRP'ing.
    Last edited by Nicksone; 09-05-2019 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Quote edit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok. What a mess. Thank you for your application. I enjoy it. I�m referrring when I say, �Mess� to the mess what is happening with Honor Code here.

Now let�s begin.

I am interceding here and calling bullshit at the same time. Kineem already did it of sorts but I think I�ll be a little more blunt. And lengthy.

In response to the questions Nicksone put forth and the applicant subsequently answered.
    1. Correct answer. Maybe not entirely what I would do but that�s a matter of player style and philosophy in my case. Still, it is correct.
    Furthermore, A Honor Duel IS to the death. Nicksone you are wrong and Kineem is also right.

From Honor Code:
    "The duel must be fought as honorable as possible and is to the death, however, it's recommended that if you knock down or disarm your rival, you let them recover if they can before a final blow."
    2. This trick question bullshit works with lots of new predator players or applicants who believe they have to get involved in a fight instead of leaving. They don�t. The fact you know this and describe not only how you would optimally not engage tells me you understand this. This question it seems is again, based around the intention to trick you into a wrong answer. You response tells me you not only understand the issue with this situation but have a plan even if, God forbid, you DID have to do the very thing you would do what you want to never to. In short, Disengaging is an option and the best choice in this situation in my opinion to be frank. You answered correctly again and in my opinion, avoided the trick question�s trap.

Additionally, Nicksone�s Question is flawed due to the complicated nature of it and inherent incorrectness as well as vagueness. I could go on for several paragraphs about the variety of situations and appropriate responses but I won�t. Instead, I�ll just say this:
    i want to point out that nowhere in the rules are you forced to kill unworthy prey

they are not abominations, whom are disgraces to yautja-kind and must be put down at all costs. even in gear recovery you are allowed to spare marines so long as the gear is, one way or another, recovered. unworthy prey are simply people that can be dealt with however you please, whereas worthy prey are people whom you must treat honorably and fight against without using your dishonorable weapons.

it never explicitly states you must kill unworthy, only that you may use your full force if you so wish. if you wish to treat them just like worthy prey, then you may.

There is one scenario I would like to mention however. In the Honor Code, if the predator found the honorable ooman as a Hunt as the question asks (and not a Honor Duel) and the other oomans (but not a target) also interfered in the
    hunt after the predator attacked the honorable ooman that was with them, then the interfering oomans status would not changed to/or remain unworthy. Because of the clause on defending others, it seems even if the oomans in the example were worthy, they may in this rare case revert back to worthy prey temporarily, dependent on the situation and this is more a matter of pred preference (Obviously you may fight a pred hunter with gear different than some rando who hugged you in lrp), as they are defending someone the pred decided to attack literally in front of them.

The reason for this falls under the clause in Honor Code:
    In context of who is unworthy: �Any prey or group who actively pursues/engage the Predator themselves, who the Predator is not hunting/disrupting. This does not apply to groups pursuing the Predator after they have engaged targets in front of offending parties (Groups defending a FOB/Hive or defending others are not considered unworthy)
    3.Interesting, well thought answer. Thank you for taking your time on that. It shows and is quite well said.

In short, good app. Good answers. Handle criticism well which goes to show you are calm and not going to blow up in-anger in the role. Thank you for your time, effort in all answers, care and level-head. Kineem is right. I�m sure you�ll make a fine whitelisted pred player.

+1