Thread: Kael - Commander Application

The Neverplayer Commodore
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Delete this comment.
    Captain Morgan Young

Charlie Squad Medic main and the worst nade Thrower you Will ever see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! I analyzed your application for a while. Let me tell you what I think about it!

Your BE answer is quite decent, yet you still haven't answered the question regarding the difference between a BE and a normal execution. I would've liked a more ironed-out answer here, it's one of the main things which separate the CO role from the XO role.

I'd enjoy a motherly CO on deck, especially one who would avoid insults and the likes, always trying to compliment her crew and act quite protective with it. However, I am unsure of your English proficiency; you do have a few spelling mistakes here and there, in your application, and that's quite a shame!

The story is practically a biography of your character, which is OK. It has some spelling mistakes here and there, but overall, for a CO story, it's decent. I enjoy the fact that your character has a rather normal progression through USCM ranks; the only discrepancy I see is the straight promotion from PFC to SSGT. SSGT to LT can happen, but it's very rare; usually, E-8's and E-9's get promoted to LT, and SSGT is E-6. But perhaps you didn't know that, and I won't hold this as a negative point.

While your application may be decent, I've got mixed feelings on your experience as an XO. Whenever I play or observe a round when you're the XO, it almost feels as if you neither have a strong grip on the marines, nor on the tactical situation itself. Once, when you XO'd on Ice, while we were asking for backup at Excavation and informing you that the bulk of the hostiles were there, you performed a Command Announcement in which you asked for the hostiles' position, instead of sending reinforcements to the frontlines. I'd like you to pay more attention to the Squad Comms, provide more intel to all squads via Squad Comms, and perform Command Announcements much more often.

I'm neutral on this one; good luck with your application!
    Claire O'Reilly, the vitriolic Corporate Liaison!
    Cassie, the helpful Synthetic!
    Kre'Zuhl, the self-declared greatest worshipper of Thardha!

HRP Main to the Bone

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anderut22 View Post
    Hi! I analyzed your application for a while. Let me tell you what I think about it!

Your BE answer is quite decent, yet you still haven't answered the question regarding the difference between a BE and a normal execution. I would've liked a more ironed-out answer here, it's one of the main things which separate the CO role from the XO role.

I'd enjoy a motherly CO on deck, especially one who would avoid insults and the likes, always trying to compliment her crew and act quite protective with it. However, I am unsure of your English proficiency; you do have a few spelling mistakes here and there, in your application, and that's quite a shame!

The story is practically a biography of your character, which is OK. It has some spelling mistakes here and there, but overall, for a CO story, it's decent. I enjoy the fact that your character has a rather normal progression through USCM ranks; the only discrepancy I see is the straight promotion from PFC to SSGT. SSGT to LT can happen, but it's very rare; usually, E-8's and E-9's get promoted to LT, and SSGT is E-6. But perhaps you didn't know that, and I won't hold this as a negative point.

While your application may be decent, I've got mixed feelings on your experience as an XO. Whenever I play or observe a round when you're the XO, it almost feels as if you neither have a strong grip on the marines, nor on the tactical situation itself. Once, when you XO'd on Ice, while we were asking for backup at Excavation and informing you that the bulk of the hostiles were there, you performed a Command Announcement in which you asked for the hostiles' position, instead of sending reinforcements to the frontlines. I'd like you to pay more attention to the Squad Comms, provide more intel to all squads via Squad Comms, and perform Command Announcements much more often.

I'm neutral on this one; good luck with your application!
    You are right, I forgot to make a clear answer about the difference between a BE and a normal execution.

A regular Execution only takes place when the player breaks a capital crime (Sexual assault, Murder, Sedition, desertion) or those whose timer exceeds one hour. They demand a ship-wide announcement to informing the crew why who and when the execution will take place. (Unless we are in code red or delta if so we can omit the announce).The commanding officer, executive officer or CMP must be present at the execution and we must give the prisoner the chance of any final words.

A Battlefield execution only takes place when the player represents a threat to the ship, the captain or the operation. The BE needs to be ship-wide announced with the reason, name, and position of the player who will be executed and the CO must do it by himself.

About my experience as an XO and more precisely the round you are pointing out. I can't remember all rounds, but if that happened then it means I was distracted doing something else (Most of the rounds I play XO are in low pop or/and I have from 0 to 1 SO for the first 40-60 min of the game, for god knows what reason). So as you might already know, when we are alone in CIC we tend to lose a few msg in the chat , but I will try do a better job!.

Thanks for the taking your time and reading the app.

Whitelisted Captain FGRSentinel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, I've been sitting on this one a bit longer than I'd like to admit.

To start, I'm going to be blunt and say I put a lot of emphasis on if people understand the BE guidelines. In this case, it seems as though you think a BE is just an execution carried out by the CO under the same circumstances as a normal execution. As it seems I'm blind, I've reread through the comment directly above mine (thanks for DMing me to let me know, btw, Kael!) and I find the answer satisfactory. I'm going to change my response to a +1 as I feel my concerns have been satisfied by the response to Anderut. Good luck!
    Last edited by FGRSentinel; 09-18-2019 at 04:50 PM.
    Retired CO Councilor (Winter 2019-Spring 2020, Winter 2020-Spring 2021)

Goddard Pearsall, the Pilot that (almost) always has Souto

Unofficial source of help for new/inexperienced POs. Message me here or on Discord if you'd like advise on anything.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FGRSentinel View Post
    Alright, I've been sitting on this one a bit longer than I'd like to admit.

To start, I'm going to be blunt and say I put a lot of emphasis on if people understand the BE guidelines. In this case, it seems as though you think a BE is just an execution carried out by the CO under the same circumstances as a normal execution. This, I'm afraid, isn't the case as there's a number of differences between the two and there's limits to what you can and can't BE someone for. While I like that you state that it's a last-case option, I'm afraid I have to give you a -1 as, while you seem like a decent enough player from what I've seen, it's best to know the guidelines before you become CO to avoid being suspended or worse due to lack of understanding of them. My advice would be to read up on the guidelines and apply in a month with an updated application. If you have any questions, feel free to ask myself or one of the current/future Council members and we'll be happy to help clear up any confusion.

Perhaps I was not clear enough or didn't express myself in the right way but... I stated in the APP that I will personally use BE for the next situations:

-The player is clearly trolling.
    -All the non-lethal options were used already.
    -We lack MPs or/and command staff.

Outside of that, if the player is just making some good RP and have a solid base to justify his actions, I will not use the BE. Under my eyes is the last resort tool who will FORCE a player to stop playing as a marine for the rest of the round.

Those are not even close to a normal execution circumstance so far I understand , mostly because a normal execution demand breaking a capital crime or/and exceeding the 1 hour jail time barrier.

Whitelisted Captain FGRSentinel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apologies, I've edited the comment so it doesn't cause confusion. You can leave the response to it up if you'd like to keep it coherent. Thanks for DMing me and pointing out what I missed and sorry for not reading it in the first place.
    Retired CO Councilor (Winter 2019-Spring 2020, Winter 2020-Spring 2021)

Goddard Pearsall, the Pilot that (almost) always has Souto

Unofficial source of help for new/inexperienced POs. Message me here or on Discord if you'd like advise on anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kael View Post
    snip
    Ok. So Number 3 is blatantly incorrect in my opinion of the handling of the situation.

In a round, a situation where someone has opened fire, especially on MPs, usually means the person is intentionally trying to kill. To top that off, the character is clearly unhinged with his rants about being a HEFA Knight.

My personal experience tells me that arresting a unhinged, violent, potentially deadly character and then releasing them of all things to do kitchen duty is a bad idea. What�ll likely happen is they are released then the issue occurs... again. In short you didn�t solve the issue and to top it off provided a IC RP idea that not only won�t work but will lead to more issues.

Brief edit: personally didn�t have an issue with the BE, but i should mention that your criteria are purely OOC. That�s fine and part of why we have BEs but it would be a failure on my part to not mention that you will encounter situations IC which don�t need a BE OOCLY, but do IC.

If you want a RP resolution, you could involve the researchers as mental health caretakers for example. But releasing the CL, someone who opened fire on MPs with deadly force? While you could pardon a major crime, it�s clear this is not a situation that would merit or need it. What�s more, it�s one you wouldn�t want a pardon of any kind.

RP resolutions are fine. But a blatant disregard for the facts IC of what happened to create a new line of RP based out of a naive belief is not.

I�m sorry, but I saw some issues with your application and, while I don�t fully trust all the people here, was surprised when I saw someone I consider �easy� in their +1 giving you a -1. Coupled with further investigation and this response i foundI am giving a -1.

I don�t believe you are quite ready. You need more experience in the role and understanding of the difference between reality of a round and naivety. Like I said. RP situations are fine - even creating one from a bad situation. Ignoring what happened though to pander to the player who caused the Ic situation is not. Play off the event. Not ignore and create your own out of nothing and expect people to IC go along with it.

Last edited by Vispainius; 09-19-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vispainius View Post
    Ok. So Number 3 is blatantly incorrect in my opinion of the handling of the situation.

In a round, a situation where someone has opened fire, especially on MPs, usually means the person is intentionally trying to kill. To top that off, the character is clearly unhinged with his rants about being a HEFA Knight.

My personal experience tells me that arresting a unhinged, violent, potentially deadly character and then releasing them of all things to do kitchen duty is a bad idea. What�ll likely happen is they are released then the issue occurs... again. In short you didn�t solve the issue and to top it off provided a IC RP idea that not only won�t work but will lead to more issues.

Brief edit: personally didn�t have an issue with the BE, but i should mention that your criteria are purely OOC. That�s fine and part of why we have BEs but it would be a failure on my part to not mention that you will encounter situations IC which don�t need a BE OOCLY, but do IC.

If you want a RP resolution, you could involve the researchers as mental health caretakers for example. But releasing the CL, someone who opened fire on MPs with deadly force? While you could pardon a major crime, it�s clear this is not a situation that would merit or need it. What�s more, it�s one you wouldn�t want a pardon of any kind.

RP resolutions are fine. But a blatant disregard for the facts IC of what happened to create a new line of RP based out of a naive belief is not.

I�m sorry, but I saw some issues with your application and, while I don�t fully trust all the people here, was surprised when I saw someone I consider �easy� in their +1 giving you a -1. Coupled with further investigation and this response i foundI am giving a -1.

I don�t believe you are quite ready. You need more experience in the role and understanding of the difference between reality of a round and naivety. Like I said. RP situations are fine - even creating one from a bad situation. Ignoring what happened though to pander to the player who caused the Ic situation is not. Play off the event. Not ignore and create your own out of nothing and expect people to IC go along with it.

I do agree that involving the researchers to RP with him is a good idea. It was just not in my mind as I was writing the response to that answer. But I think my intentions were clear enough, I always try to don't punish with death to those who are trying to make more RP (If is possible and don't break the IC).

Now about the BE criteria, Perhaps I expressed myself in the wrong way but I pointed out in past comments that as the only "OOC criteria" for me using the BE will be if the player is trolling. With that removed, I think I was clear enough to let everyone understand that I will still use the BE if the player is under the correct IC circumstances.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a few times as an XO, I think you've responded quite well to the criticisms in this thread and I honestly like you as a player.

As long as you've cleared up the BE thing. The tool is meant to be used as an IC way to resolve problems. Its different in that it requires no warning or firing line. But its the most extreme response to anything and its a slippery slope as it is very easy to misuse. So make sure you're certain before you do it.

However I do share some of the concerns that others have put forth. So after a few more days of playing I think I can make my decision than, but I am leaning towards a +1.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bancrose View Post
    I have had a few times as an XO, I think you've responded quite well to the criticisms in this thread and I honestly like you as a player.

As long as you've cleared up the BE thing. The tool is meant to be used as an IC way to resolve problems. Its different in that it requires no warning or firing line. But its the most extreme response to anything and its a slippery slope as it is very easy to misuse. So make sure you're certain before you do it.

However I do share some of the concerns that others have put forth. So after a few more days of playing I think I can make my decision than, but I am leaning towards a +1.
    Thank you for the BE advice, to be honest, they will have to push me a lot to use it but if the scenario demands it, I will not hesitate to use it.

Hope we can play a few more rounds in the future and thanks for the answer!