Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Easy Peasy Medic Squeezy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Easy Peasy Medic Squeezy

Medic Made Easy

Medic isn't as hard as it's made out to be. At first it can look overwhelming, particularly when the bodies start piling up and you have a million people screeching SPLINT CHEST IDIOT FUCK all at the same time, but with proper preparation and planning you can make your life a lot easier.

--- --- ---

1. - Loadout

Helpfully, loadouts for squad medics are a lot easier to set up these days. The default loadout is very kind straight out of the vendor, but there's still a whole ton of room for improvement. Here's what you want to end up with -- this loadout assumes you duplicate splints in a NanoMed (hold the stack in one hand, click it with your other hand to take one off, click and drag it into the NanoMed to restock it, repeat) and don't get any custom meds from medbay. If you don't use the NanoMed to print more splints, you may not have enough points for all of this.

Bear in mind that this is an example loadout. I don't consider the medical storage rig any good because you have to 'reload' it too frequently, for example, but I've seen other medic players who swear by it. Either way, I've been using some variation on this loadout ever since the big medical rework last January (or whenever it was) and it hasn't let me down yet.

• Medic satchel (backpack) -- one roller bed, one medevac stretcher, one advanced FAK*, one regular FAK�, one defibrillator. This leaves you one free space for another small item (e.g. custom med bottle from medbay)

• Lifesaver bag (belt) - 2x Dex+ injectors, 4x adv. trauma kits, 2x adv. burn kits, 4x splints, 2x bicaridine bottles, 2x kelotane bottles, 1x dexalin bottle, 1x dylovene bottle, 1x peridaxon bottle, 2x Quick Clot bottles

• Medkit pouch (pocket slot 1) - one advanced FAK*
    • Medical pouch (pocket slot 2) - 1x tramadol pill bottle, 1x inaprovaline pill bottle, 1x health analyser

• Webbing and armour - 5x ammunition of your choice. Put the more valuable of your ammo (e.g. AP) in your webbing so that it doesn't get lost when you inevitably lose your armour after being defibbed.

*every advanced FAK should contain the following: 3x advanced trauma kit, 1x advanced burn kit, 3x splints

�use the regular FAK for storing extra supplies -- pill bottles, stasis bags, syringe cases full of injectors, etc. I usually bring at least one spare bottle of bic, kelo, and tramadol at the very minimum.

This loadout covers everything you'll need. Your most used resources are bicaridine and kelotane pills (by far), closely followed up by splints and adv. trauma kits. As such, we bring a good few pill bottles and a metric asston of splints, since we only get 5 splints per stack compared to 15 pills per bottle. Even when subjected to heavy usage, this loadout should last you the whole way through all but the very longest rounds.

As far as non-medical equipment goes, I usually bring an M41 as my primary weapon. You can make an argument for the M39 or M37 if those are your jam, but even after its buffs I find the M39 too weak (at least it's not a total pisstake like it used to be) and the M37 doesn't have the burst damage it had in the past. It can't even crit a mature lurker reliably anymore, meaning its reliability as a last-ditch personal safety stick is pretty much gone.

Don't forget to stuff two protein bars in your helmet and bring a boot knife.

Obviously, if medbay is making you custom meds, you can slot those in in place of existing injectors, pill bottles, or some of the ammo magazines. I'll go over what custom meds are and which ones you should look out for later, but none of them are vital. The basic medicines in your vendor work perfectly well; custom meds mostly just make healing people faster.

--- --- ---

2. - How to Play

Now that you have your stuff, go with your squad and follow them to whatever objective command has saddled you with today. Do not miss first drop if you spawned roundstart -- I have seen almost entire squads go braindead because their medics were busy crying at requisitions or at chemistry instead of dropping at first drop like everyone else. If you don't have enough time to get your special gear, tough luck. The chemists aren't obliged to make you your 6 bottles of imialky, bictric, keloderm and 20u oxy, and the RO isn't obliged to hand you a HPR either.

Eventually, as you waddle around the map in a clump (or sit on your ass at the FOB) you'll find something that needs healing. I'm not going to go into detail about what chems do what or anything like that -- that's covered on the wiki anyway -- but there are a few main things to note any time there's someone to be fixed.

• Did you see what happened to them? If someone gets spat by a prae and their health bar turns yellow, you don't need to waste time analysing them. Just feed them a kelo and move on. Be proactive with your treatment.
    • Spend pills and splints liberally. Any decent loadout has a metric shitton of both -- act like it and feed people pills for anything over ~15-20 damage of the appropriate type. You will not run out except in exceptional circumstances.
    • Even if your patient self-diagnoses, check with the analyser. Lots of people will say to splint their arm when it's actually their hand that's broken, for example.
    • It's better to feed too many pills than too few. If someone comes up to you with a broken chest and you're not quite sure if their lungs are damaged or not, feed them a peridaxon pill anyway. Same goes for if they have severe (>60) damage to one body part -- consider doubling up on bic or kelo doses for these. As far as I'm aware, 15u of either won't fully heal big damage numbers all stacked on one body part.
    • Triage is important -- revivable dead marines are top priority, followed by the actively dying. PFC Baldo with 13 brute damage can wait.
    • Defibbing is covered here in great detail.

In the early game, stick with your squad. Don't run off to help out somewhere else unless it's an actual emergency. As the round progresses, though, you can feel freer and freer to act as more of a squadless entity, roaming around the battlefield helping whomever you can. There's no real defined time for this, you just kind of get a sense for when the marine team has transitioned from 'four separate squads doing separate things' into 'big clump of marines parked at Hydro/Lambda entrance/Ice excav'.

All the while you're healing people, keep one eye on both the chat log and the screen itself. It's really easy to tunnel on your patient and miss important things being stammered, screamed, or shouted at you over the radio or by someone dying right next to you. Be aware of other medics in the vicinity, too -- if all 12 medics are clumped together healing one group of wounded, you'd probably be better off going somewhere else and filling a gap in the team's medic coverage. Likewise, if there's nobody else around and you're buried under 20 bodies, start screaming on the medical channel while you have a lengthy action buffered (defib, splint, etc.) so as not to waste time.

I can't really stress this part enough -- be where you're most useful. Often, this is actually where a lot of other medics aren't. Deep pushes and flanking manoeuvres can easily collapse if a quick and efficient medic doesn't follow them in, and similarly people can time out and go braindead at LZ1 if all the medics are clustered further up towards the front. Every medic has their own preferred playstyle and position to take up -- I play very aggressively and like to be in the second line, right behind the initial advance -- but ultimately you want to be somewhere where you're actually contributing something and not just competing with other medics for patients. Sometimes you don't have a choice, but in these cases you should still always be vigilant for a change in the round flow that will give you somewhere more useful to go.
    Last edited by Omicega; 01-07-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    reserved in case this forum has a character limit for posts or something

more to come soonTM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you for teaching me medic

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    horrible guide because omi doesn't realize medic loadouts are subjective fucking libtard

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where is oxycodone
    I don't see oxycodone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oxy is shit and you should never take it unless a doctor has, for some reason, made some and stuck it in the chem fridge.

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to fill a standard FAK with three stasis bags and four splints, and that usually sees me through a round pretty well. I take a satchel and fill it with said FAK, a defib, a spare AFAK, and a fire extinguisher. Roller bed and analyzer goes in medium general pouch, and another AFAK in the first aid kit pouch. With the points left over in my vendor I buy spare bicard and tramadol pill bottles. Combat lifesaver bag with the default, but if chemistry is active ditch the dex+ oxy and QC autoinjectors for dex+ pills, ImiAlky, keloderm, and maybe tribica and iron, but dex+ and keloderm are the priority.

Retired Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Replace these disgusting waste of a slot dex+ autoinjectors with dex+ pills and iron pills. Now all your low blood problems are solved.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    imagine using the dex+ autoinjectors.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine using injectors after MarineMed got locked to Doctors only.