User Tag List

Thread: DingleFlop - Developer Application (Coder)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DingleFlop - Developer Application (Coder)

Developer Application
    Byond ID?
    DingleFlop

Age?

Gender?
    Male

How would you define yourself? (Coder, Mapper, Spriter):
    Coder

If Coder, what languages?
    C#, .NET framework, some embedded C

Any previous experience developing with SS13?
    Yes! I worked on LLA for a while, back when it still existed, but found the dev process very restrictive.

I had a few things I was working on for /tg/ but didn't end up implementing too much due to time constraints back then.

Proof of any previous or current work:
    Willing to provide some stuff in private, as most of my work is tied to my IRL identity which I try not to link to my BYOND key.

How well do you know Git?
    Pretty well, I understand how pulls, branching and commiting works. I tended to use a GUI for my stuff, but I have use git-cmd for rebase and other more complex operations.

Your primary job is server development, not policing the server. You may be given Moderator-level of access but you should *not* be invoking any administrative actions unless there are no moderators or Admins online. Do you understand?
    Yes

Anything else you'd like to add?
    I do software development as my full time job, and I am looking to do this as my "me" time for coding. I don't get hardly any creative freedom in my day to day work.

I am also interested in mapping, and will make a seperate app if I need to. I've used the mapmerge tools and such before.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hello there, thank you for your interest. We'll be going over the app in the upcoming dev meeting this week. When you apply for coder, you are also free to work on mapping or spriting, if you so wish.

Do you have any ideas on what you would want to work on? what are they?

What is your favourite feature and what feature could use work?

Which side do you play the most in CM?
    A small part of the Synthetic Council

with Jakkk, AcuteCircle, Pedroca2lucas and Kineem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampmare View Post
    Do you have any ideas on what you would want to work on? what are they?

What is your favourite feature and what feature could use work?

Which side do you play the most in CM?
    I am kind of OCD, and I would like to patch the random little quality of life things that I have noticed. Things come to mind such as PMC Smartgunner being bugged, helmets not being in the auto-equip container list, even when other slots are exhausted, the equip from armor function only being available in Hotkey-mode.

CAS is currently my favorite feature, so I was heartbroken when it was being finnicky during the last update. It'd be one of the things I'd like the make improvements to.
    A feature I think needs work is the xenomorph health paradigm. I'd like for Xenos to have a little bit more in the way of bleed and revival mechanics. I think it's sorta outdated how Marine can be delimbed, experience internal bleeding, organ failure, four types of damage and brain damage, but aliens just.... get hurt, and magically healed by weeds, and their armor just recharges, again on weeds.

I mostly play Marine, but I do still play a ton of xeno, I'd say about 2/3 marine, 1/3 xeno.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Alright, I would personally like to see some proof of work.

I know you have some work related stuff, but very preferable something you have made in SS13 instead.

An option is finding our old leaked codebase and coding a quick feature to show off.

Show off some images here or pass on the code to a dev, both will work.
    A small part of the Synthetic Council

with Jakkk, AcuteCircle, Pedroca2lucas and Kineem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is just a start, easiest thing I could find that I ended up implementing.
    I'm probably going to write something quick to demonstrate actual code knowledge, but I'd like to do that on a codebase I know, such as /tg/, since I can't find a working leak of CM code, currently.

EDIT: Keep in mind this is over 2 years old at this point, it was just a thing I did since I played a ton of pAI on LLA due to shit internet and enjoying it quite a bit. I wanted a more pretty UI to look at than the BLINDING blue on white of default UI stuff.

EDIT 100: I realize that this probably needs more explanation- It wasn't just a re-skin of the UI, I migrated it to the Datum browser that was in common use then, I embedded the "tablet" UI into it, since we used Tablets instead of PDAs on LLA, I reworked the airlock hacking code to give you full control over the airlock until you were disconnected from it, I was working on allowing pAI to interact with consoles and cameras, and I had allowed pAI to take radio keys. This stuff is all irrelevant with a modern codebase I suppose, but yeah, this was two years ago, before LLA reforked /tg/, (and died).
    Last edited by DingleFlop; 09-17-2019 at 02:47 AM. Reason: COMPULSIVE EDITING

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We will have a dev meeting soon. Expect a reply afterwards.

How to become senior dev.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Send the coder test through forum pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdydoodly!

Not trying to rush or anything but I really am excited to meet everyone and get to work.
    Any chance I could get an update on this?

Thank you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I shared your test replies with the other developers.
    Standard procedure is that we discuss all apps during developer meetings.
    Ill turn up the heat a bit and see if we can get a reply sooner.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the record this is accepted by the development team.
    Awan out!