User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we do something about the metarushes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we do something about the metarushes?

Everyone talks about them. Either if it's a Delta main saying that they only pushed xenos back to their hive, or a xeno main complaining that they got wiped in 30 minutes.
    It's time we talk about the...

Metarushes. This includes "Ramboing" - Chasing down aliens immediately after the first contact, directly to their hive.; cited from the CM rule page itself.

Metarushes are horrible to play against as Xeno; despite the recent Structure buff, the marine rush is merely delayed, especially if you've got Delta coming in from an unguarded flank. They're horrible to have when being a CO too; there always must be that round where a certain squad ignores all their orders, bumrushes the hive, and their SL may even take the dropship and deploy early, without the tank, PTU or even other squads. Yes, I saw it happen twice.

If you're the CO or aCO and a single squad rushes, you're automatically forced to re-route other squads to support their push or you risk losing the rushing squad. This usually means abandoning works on mini-FOB's and frontline defenses, or abandoning the IO's, leaving them by themselves, at the mercy of lurker gangs. Oh, and don't get me started on the many, many announcements you're forced to make to at least try to stop the marines from rushing; ignore that and you'll likely get bwoinked, and you surely don't want a job-ban.

Rule 6 is one of the harder rules to implement, in my opinion, due to the difficulty in finding out exactly who led the rush, or started it. You can't blame the CO/XO for a single insubordinate squad, and you can't blame the SL either for a group of marines rushing by themselves, and if this group is rather sizeable, pinpointing the members would be rather difficult in my opinion.

I believe that either we should get more anti-rush mechanisms, like the upcoming Xeno Special Structures, or the LV fog (but without any gaps), or Rule 6 should receive either a re-write or be subject to much stricter implementation. Apart from a handful of PFC mains, I believe that everyone can agree that metarushes are rather stale, and not enjoyable for anyone.
    Claire O'Reilly, the vitriolic Corporate Liaison!
    Cassie, the helpful Synthetic!
    Kre'Zuhl, the self-declared greatest worshipper of Thardha!

HRP Main to the Bone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remove LV is the answer.
    Ok, that's a joke but that map is metarush incarnate. Every round the Marines will go to Hydro and build a secondary FOB there and wait the fog to fall down (without any good RP reason), unless they chase the aliums to the fog gaps. Basically one of this two will happen in every round.

Whitelisted Predator ChainsawMullet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LV-624 is the only map I consistently see metarushes on, it happens on lowpop Prison as well but lowpop is basically its own unique gamemode.

How to fix LV-624 metarushing:

-Extend LV-624's river and change the bridge to always be fully constructed
    -Guarantee one fog gap/always have a bridge gap so fog doesn't drop instantly (more gaps there are, longer it takes, iirc)
    -Make xeno side of the river more busy with actual walls or obstacles instead of being absolute empty space

Honestly on any other map it just comes down to xenos being absolute cowards and being afraid to have a fight because they might lose their precious survivor killstreak.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an idea to forcing marines to get defcon 4, to get you can use good ol intel or recover a black box to get defcon 4, it would only give 5% so if you get defcon 4 but need 10% and only had 5% or whatever you just in negative defcon for next one. Till you get defcon 4 tank is locked in the alaymer and other restrictions to slow down marines.

If you don�t get defcon 4 and wipe aliens it is xeno major as the lore reason be you don�t understand the colony fell to a interstellar hive mind, the marines will leave thinking they just killed some bugs. Maybe even there was hidden xenos that never get finished off as the marines wouldn�t know better.

Got to slow that ugna rush somehow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see metarushing on LV, Prison, and Solaris all the time. I'll give you that the latter most was the ayys fault just as much for melting their podlocks, but the fact that that was the first place two squads attached to the tank went was rather rushed.

Prison is just behind LV in how bad it is, but people have talked about this a lot over time. Prison really doesn't have enough directions to go, so if the xenos aren't ready and making forward walls and turning the place into an autism fort that will make the tank cry they just get eaten alive from one of the two ways into Civ Res. Without making more podlocks on an already often too small map is one of the few things I can see helping, but even then as we see on Solaris that's just a stopgap.

LV, seriously, is a simple fix as far as I can tell. Just stop the gaps in the fog, please! There likely isn't going to be a good way to stop Hydro being the forward emplacement for the marines, it's the edge of 'their territory' on that side of the river, but all the metarushing can at least be mitigated if the fog is always there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prison it's because the map tight corridors, forcing the movement of marines in certain direction and a few points of interest that are far away enough from the LZ that Marines can go there with a justifiable IC reason and find the benos midway through. (E.g: Tell the Marines to go to the crashed ship, which is halfway across the map and you have a good reason to check a fucking crashed ship). So sometimes it's not even a metarush as much as natural progression of the map;

Anyway, LV problem is that the fight will always revolve around hydro and a tug-of-war between Marines pushing the river to reach the caves and xenos pushign through hydro to reach the nexus, ignoring like 70% of the map. There will always be a metarush to wait in Hydro, twidle your thumbs until the marines/xenos can push.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont get it

people that dont play marine simply cant comprehend the fact that xenos get stronger over time, we don't.
    rushing is the best strat in order to win, if you delay as a marine you die.

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok

yes

but

whats my incentive to not meta rush besides getting noted (which isn't relevant 90% of the time omegalul)

Whitelisted Predator ChainsawMullet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanchee View Post
    i dont get it

people that dont play marine simply cant comprehend the fact that xenos get stronger over time, we don't.
    rushing is the best strat in order to win, if you delay as a marine you die.
    Marines don't need to metarush to win at all.
    Why does winning even matter if you just meta unga the hive so that they can't oppose you with any decent force?
    What you described is also basically metarushing, which is against the rules, that's like saying Xenos should all wait at LZ1 to kill all the marines while they're stuck in the dropship, because "that's the best strat to win!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What? You think marines are the only ones that has to build a FOB?

How about hivelords actually spamming wals inside the caves, that should be the xeno equivalent of building a FOB.