User Tag List

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Expected Contact RP Test

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I LOVE this update. I got so, unbelievably tired of the same shit over and over again, with "haha there's a lizard oh shit its hostile" every single round. It got irritating, this adds a lot more dynamic to the RP, talking with other marines about the xenos and your experiences with them, or your non-experience with them. Please just tweak this as needed rather than removing it
    Joined the fight November 2015

A strange voice says 'F@c3 m3 1n m0rt@1 c0mb@t'.
    PFC Charles 'Ajax' Hayes says, "Nah."

Long time CM and forum lurker, change character names and appearances as often as putting on a new pair of socks.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^^
    Ex- Predator Council Senator, Mentor Manager, Discord Moderator and Moderator Trainer
    My wall of medals: https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    Discord: Novacti#0505

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been unironically the worst change CM has ever decided to adopt. Survivors are now functionally useless as are RP roles, all they do now is function like support roles (they still don't work) and instead further alienate the server from what it was made for, specifically roleplay in a combat environment. Instead, the game has become much too mechanical. The solution to this is remove moot features like winning and losing (because they should not matter in a roleplay environment) and start handing out bans to people who think it's fine to completely break the roleplay atmosphere because they're "robust". In conclusion I'd like to state that in the current state, CM is only going downhill. It's very apparent to see this as we accept more and more self-loathing and self-destructive people into the staff team and help protect self-destructive individuals. This is not the way for long term success.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameajeff View Post
    This has been unironically the worst change CM has ever decided to adopt. Survivors are now functionally useless as are RP roles, all they do now is function like support roles (they still don't work) and instead further alienate the server from what it was made for, specifically roleplay in a combat environment. Instead, the game has become much too mechanical. The solution to this is remove moot features like winning and losing (because they should not matter in a roleplay environment) and start handing out bans to people who think it's fine to completely break the roleplay atmosphere because they're "robust". In conclusion I'd like to state that in the current state, CM is only going downhill. It's very apparent to see this as we accept more and more self-loathing and self-destructive people into the staff team and help protect self-destructive individuals. This is not the way for long term success.
    I DO think that the extended contact is a good thing (having to continuously repeat first contact was headache inducing after the first 5 rounds, and being able to refer to xenos by their actual names is refreshing), but I do somewhat agree with you. The real problem is that roleplaying is practically suicidal. Xenos will see stopping to talk as an opportunity to gank your ass. Marines will kill any Xeno that stands still for 5 minutes. Your allies are likely to be mutes that ignore you unless you're telling them where the Queen is. On the ground, there's no chance to talk or emote because it's not a free action. On the ship, it's better, but rounds are too fast and dangerous to build any true relationships, friends, enemies, etc. Unlike Baystation where you'll likely get to work with your coworkers for at least a half hour or a hour before the antags start striking, here it can be a hour into the round and the round is nearly over.

The server has always been a TDM server, duh, but the focus of the server shifted to gameplay a long time ago. I can't pinpoint when but I would have to guess it was a bit before Apop left. If you want to RP, I recommend playing a shipside role or just playing a different server. Those are my two cents anyways.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameajeff View Post
    Well, I guess it's time for you to play a different server then, like Bay or Para; because if you've been paying attention to the thread, everyone enjoys it, veteran AND new players. Hell I say that it's BETTER for RP now that you're not confined to stuff like "RED DOG" or "BLACK STEALTH BUG" for xeno. You can actually use their names. Not only is it so much better for communicating due to you not having to pass your information through the "FIRST CONTACT YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT" filter; but it's also better because now you can actually SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE about the xeno with your squad, instead of making up some samey stories about CLFs and UPPs. It's like xeno with "tallhost, turtle, bird, smartspitter, autospitter, longspitter, boom tube, boom rocks, ...". It's fine if you wanna use it (hell, some even use it in OOC), but if we're confined to only using those terms for marine's stuff, the flow of information will be restricted heavily (though I bet you'd love that because you're all for empty and shallow RP where people stand around and talk about random stuff, not the kind that people actually enjoy and are willing to repeat it). RP shouldn't be confined into the same old stuff over and over and over again; THAT was what ruined CM RP in the first place and made long time players only care about gameplay (because there's nothing new to have with First Contact RP), not "server bad" or "admins bad" or "streamlining stuff bad"

Also, oh boy, you actually think that survivors had something in the past. I can't say how it was for survivors in 2016 (if they had existed then) or 2017, because I started playing CM on January 2018; but I'll gladly tell you that survivors have almost always been ignored after they've spilled out their "secret info about xeno". Do you know why? Because EVERYBODY ALREADY KNOWS ABOUT THEM AFTER 4-5 ROUNDS OF PLAYING, and they only needed survivors to let them off the hook from meta rules. Survivors have always and will always be ignored if they go to shipside, because there's one simple thing you're forgetting. THE MAIN FOCUS OF THE GAME IS THE PLANETSIDE FIGHT BETWEEN MARINES AND ANOTHER FORCE. It's not about the shipside roles like traditional SS13 server, and it's definitely not about some random antags that try to screw the ship over (that's why we don't even have any antag role by default).
    Last edited by DefinitelyAlone0309; 11-20-2019 at 02:53 PM.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2016 boomer veteran here, thank god for expected contact, anyone that says otherwise should go to bay or on the ship they should stay

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the release of Expected Contact, this thread has been closed. Thank you for the feedback everyone and we will continue to attempt to improve upon this roleplay style moving forward!