Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wrong about hedgehog, it's okay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for all of them the slowness hurts more than the lack of armor/health

you mess up going forward too far and you won't have a chance to retreat before you get shot up

that being said they're ok
    although base is probably the hardest to use since they don't have any way to do anything outside of melee range and they slow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I predominantly play Ancient Spitter, but I've started trying to pick Rav up again, and IMO Hedgehog is really good. Veteran and standard have the same troubles that Ravs always have.

Hedgehog, though is excellent. You get that ranged harass that lets you contribute in relatively static fights without suiciding (and it works really well for tying up marine resources, especially against baldies who keep running around with shrapnel in them). Spin slash is amazing, it's guaranteed stun and damage against anyone you can get close to, more than long enough to kill them or drag them off, and if you ever get into a pack of marines it's disgusting.

You have to play really carefully, since you're still essentially a lurker with a bigger sprite and lower speed, but if you're good enough to reliably survive to ancient you will shred marines with hedgehog. If the Queen is deovi'd, you should be following her around. Any time she goes in to screech, you should be following up by running into the crowd of downed marines and spin-slashing them. The chaos of that combo is more than enough for other xenos to get in and kill/hug.

Like all beno roles, it depends on the player. If they can git gud and play carefully, it can do very well. If they're hasty and incautious, they'll die like young runners in nexus.

e: I think a lot of bad beno play and early deaths comes from people who are relatively new to CM (and maybe SS13 generally), whose experience has been with playing marine and not being able to kill xenos -- they're too fast, too sneaky, too tanky, whatever (exacerbated by an inability to reliably shoot them), so people come into the role thinking that xenos are basically unkillable, so they play really cocky and recklessly, inevitably getting into bad situations and dying. You can play successfully and kill/cap as any caste, even as a drone under the right circumstances (if you're robust enough), but it's always predicated on your ability to accurately and quickly assess your situation and how you should act, in terms of when to engage, when to back off, where to find and how to exploit vulnerabilities in the marine backlines, when to retreat in anticipation of an OB or marine flanking attack, &c.
    Last edited by Flying Dice; 10-10-2019 at 11:00 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I�ve been outlawing Ravs as Queen recently, they�re just a real waste of a T3 slot at the moment.

Boilers, praetorians hivelords, carriers, and crushers are all that�s really needed for a good Hive. (fun fact when I typed in hive auto correct wanted to change it to Home lol)

Garret Dalheart reporting for Duty!
    Captain Howard Dalheart Captain of the USS Almayer Deceased
    Ckey: TheDexfiles
    Joined the fight 19 Dec 2017

Current Record holder for most dead in a single OB at 25
    Sorry mates

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hedgehog rav is incredibly tanky right now, and with the ranged attack it's quite good at frontline fighting if you don't overcommit
    Goosen Dagen-casual marine

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirMandrake View Post
    Hedgehog rav is incredibly tanky right now, and with the ranged attack it's quite good at frontline fighting if you don't overcommit

YOU'RE TOO SLOW

I'm not sorry
    Last edited by TheDexFiles; 10-11-2019 at 03:18 AM.

Sorry mates

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >outlawing castes

shit queen detected

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lurkermain View Post
    >outlawing castes

shit queen detected
    git gud

Sorry mates

Whitelisted Synthetic themaskedman2's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hedgehog ravs aren't that bad but still not amazing compared to other T3 choices.

Base Rav and Vet are trash.

Vet Rav has lurker tier health, it's basically useless.

Base Rav is too slow to really catch up to anyone, despite its tankiness, i'd argue Base Rav should get Dancer tail impale. (Without the buff that makes it proc twice, just a single longer range stab)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best rav strain is the purple acid spitting one called the praetorian