Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TheDexFiles - Commander Application

Commander Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    thedexfiles

Player Name You Use Most?
    Garret Dalheart

Make a list of links to all of your applications and (job)ban appeals, including whitelist and staff apps, within the last year. Also, provide "Ban reason; Verdict" beside each (job)ban link
    N/A

Have you received any ban within the last month? How long was it and what for?
    No

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

How do you view the tool of Battlefield Execution to be used? What circumstances do you think it would be necessary to BE a member of the crew? Where do you think the Battlefield Execution Mechanic Differs from regular Execution and why?
    In all honesty, I have always believed that a battlefield execution is uncivilized and should only be used in the most of extreme cases. Howard is a man who is all for fair trials and due process, as well as letting the MP's do their job.
    Circumstances for a BE would be if a Player is actively trying to disrupt the mission's objectives with terrorist activities, and or is ruining other player's enjoyability of the game with low RP antics, and or major griefing problems (I would aHelp first if this was the case), then a BE may be in order as a LAST RESORT if there is no other way of correcting the issue through IC RP or LOOC.

Battlefield execution and a regular execution differ in the way that a regular execution involves the MP's arresting the accused player and is authorized by the Commanding Officer or with Both of XO and CMP's consent if there is no Commanding Officer. Then an announcement over CIC's PA system must be made beforehand explaining the player's crimes against the USCM. The Commanding Officer, XO or the CMP must be present, and the accused must be allowed a final word and or a last cigarette.

A Battlefield execution is quite different from a regular execution in the sense that it lack the due process and formality of the latter. I would only use it as the maximum punishment if a marine breaks a law that has a death penalty, if there is no time to waste on due process; or if there are no MP's available to perform the arrest and go though the correct channels for a regular execution to take place (My Preferable Option), since time is critical during CM's simulated military operations.

I fully understand that executing a player would remove him from the current round, so I would first ask myself if the Player's actions were so reprehensible to warrant such a swift and informal removal from the round. (I.E. Is the damage done unrepairable? Did this player actively and maliciously try to ruin the round for other players? Was this event a total misunderstood accident? Is this player new and just in need of some RP/Gameplay advice? ECT.)

How will your Commanding Officer run his/her ship? Provide a detailed explanation on how he would handle situations that might commonly occur such as, a insubordinate Req, Engineering, MP, or Command Staff
    Commanding Officer Howard Dalheart will run his ship by being clear and concise with his orders, he's an old military man and understands that the more simple, short and frequent his orders are to his staff officers and marines, the better they will be followed and understood. His general view on standard operating procedure onboard the USS Almayer is lenient, but fair; preferring warnings and short brig sentences for most minor infractions as opposed to some of the more strict Commanding officers of the USCM.
    The years and mileage of deep space military service have taught him that being in a platoon of marines, all shoved into one vessel, barreling through the void of outer space, with the only reprieve being awoken from cryosleep to engage in combat operations, can take a harsh mental and physical toll on the human body and is understanding that marines can be a bit ornery and volatile from time to time. That being said, he does not tolerate insubordination among his Officers and Marines and is impartial with such punishments preferring NJP's in the form of push-ups. Mutinies and murders are not tolerated, and Howard will not hesitate to call upon the MP's to handle such situations, as well as make the hard decision of Battlefield executions and formal executions; in which he takes no pleasure in doing.

In terms of his general tactics, Howard Dalheart approaches any given operation with what the crew of the USS Almayer currently has available at the time; due to a steady decline in enlistment numbers in recent years. He is a patient old man, not one to correct his enemies when they are making a mistake, and leans towards defense in-depth and encirclement tactics. He does not hesitate to point out falsehoods and stupidity among his Staff and Marines when he sees or hears it. This culminates in the form of simply roasting the offending party, and most importantly, setting them straight and in the right direction. He is very adamant about listening to his onboard command staff and other members of the crew before making big decisions. He has a great respect for the USCM and prioritize any mission directives over his own personal ideals or morals; but he is not one to mindlessly send people to certain death, always opting for a more strategic approach.

As for insubordination situations listed, here are my responses.

Insubordinate Engineering:

Firstly if possible I would contact the CE or the MP's to handle the situation.

If that is not an option, I would make contact with them personally either via comms or in person, depending on my availability, and remind them that we are precariously drifting in the cold, dead vacuum of space with only the Almayer's Hull, engineering reactor, and atmos facility keeping us from a violent death of decompression; and that he or she has a duty to themselves, the USCM and every other crew member onboard this vessel to do their job that they are paid to do as a member of the engineering crew to ensure that the USS Almayer stays powered up, and full of oxygen.

If they are still insubordinate, then a swift arrest is in order followed by brig time or in the most extreme case, an execution.

If their actions are griefy, I would Ahelp the situation just to make it known to staff that this might be a problem player. If they are simply a new player I would direct them to the wiki, ask them to Ahelp for a mentor, or assist them myself if I must ( Example: New Player having a hard time setting up power at the round start).

Insubordinate Command Staff:

First I would contact the XO to defuse the situation (given that they are not the person in question) and or contact the MP's to have them defuse the situation in my stead, or to have them on standby for arrests if at all possible.

I would pull the insubordinate command staff member aside or contact them via comms and ask them why they believe such behavior is acceptable. If it is due to them believing that my orders are "stupid", or that they believe that they can command this operation better then myself, I would indulge them by asking what they think we should do in relation to the operation's tactics, and have them devise a plan on the spot.

If I agree with their plan and reasoning, I would let them know that if they ever have any ideas concerning our operation's strategy, that they are free to approach or contact me at any time in a civil manner to ask me about it; and that such insubordination of a superior officer is treasonous. Then I would issue NJP in the form of push-ups and warn them that I will not be so lenient on their second offence, insinuating an extended stay in the brig.

If I don't agree with their plan, I would remind them that if they ever have any ideas concerning our operation's strategy, that they are free to approach or contact me at any time in a civil manner to ask me about it, and that such insubordination is treasonous and issue NJP or brig time depending on the offender's temperament.

If they are actively trying to undermine my command in a way that threatens the success of the operation, putting the lives of marines and ship staff at risk, my first choice would be to have them brigged, with my secondary choice being that a BE is in order.

If the player is simply new I would kindly assist them with learning in the in's and out's of SS13 CM personally, or direct them to either the wiki or a mentor.

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    The role of Commanding Officer onboard the USS Almayer is to provide high roleplay standards to other players, while at the same time making sure that the operations run smoothly, and by the numbers.
    As the commanding officer you are held to higher Role-playing standards, while at the same time given the task of commanding and coordinating troops and mechanized armor on the battlefield via over-watch and command staff to ensure victory for the USCM. In certain situations he may leave the ship in control of the XO and join the marines on the battlefield to boost moral and lead the marines to victory over the forces of darkness, be them Xenos, UPP, CLF, or Company Deathsquads.

While the Commanding Officer is just a single entity, he can make use of the Almayer's facilities and noncombatant crew to lead his marines to victory, such as the Command Staff, Medical staff, engineering crew and Military police. I've always believed that a wise Commander knows what he knows, and what he doesn't during an operation. He should call upon and listen to his Officers and staff frequently, and heed their advice until a final decision is to be made concerning the operation. This could come in the form of a Staff officer informing him of a possible flanking position, an MP catching wind of a mutiny, the engineering crew needing assistance setting up the ship's reactor, or the CMO's discovery of the parasitic nature of a planet's fauna.
    Contacting High Command in times of need is also an option, but should be done sparingly due to it being a costly function.

As a player what do you think could be added for Commanding Officer to benefit the role?
    Perhaps a Commander Datapad that could be used for Announcements and Overwatch functions while the CO is away from the CIC.

A Unique set of Orders that only the Commanding Officer can issue, or extra bonuses to the preexisting Orders when given by the CO on the battlefield.

Different Uniform options would also spice up the commander's look, and help make them look more distinct.

Maybe the ability to publicly flog insubordinate Marines and command staff, I.E lashes.

What do you think you could contribute by being whitelisted?
    In all honesty, I just like the role-playing aspect that comes along with playing on the command staff and wish to continue doing so with a new roll that has higher role-play standards as a key feature. I tend to play on Low-Pop a lot due to my timezone and have been apart of way too many Role-playing rich rounds with valiant victories and tragic ends against the forces of darkness where none of the marines I commanded as XO or SO were acknowledged and given medals due to the lack of a Commander. While it's nothing big, I've always felt it just adds to the fun of CM rounds to hand out medals and acknowledge acts of valor that most times go unnoticed.
    I want to inject my character's backstory as an old veteran of the USCM who is close to retirement, into every aspect of my roleplaying with the players I interact with (Not in a way that is invasive to other player's rounds however), and I want to insure players genuinely have fun and enjoy the rounds that I join as a Commanding Officer.

Your story (potential topics listed below)
    I've chosen a Character Dossier

SUBJECT: Lieutenant Colonel HOWARD DALHEART
    ID NUMBER: DCX-4512-S9
    � GENERAL DATA

Name: Howard Moses Dalheart.
    Aliases: "The Grey Alligator".
    Position: Commanding Officer onboard the USS Almayer.
    Date of Birth: February , 4th, 2119.
    Nationality: American.
    Languages: English, French.
    Birthplace: Olympus, Olympus Sector, Mars.
    Height: 6'1".
    Weight: 153 lbs.
    Hair color: Grey (Blond).
    Eye color: Green.
    Martial status: Married.
    Family
    Captain Reginald Dalheart (Father)
    Kate Dalheart (Mother)
    Maria Dalheart (Wife)
    Albert Dalheart (Son)
    Garret Dalheart (Son)
    Notable Marks: Grey Hair, scar across his left eye & face, faded USCM Tattoo on right arm.
    Personal Items: Walking Cane, Polaroid camera, pain medication.

Likes: - The United States Colonial Marines, His wife, his walking cane, BBQ's, Mars, traveling, a quiet life, smoking cigars, Old Music.

Dislikes: - His son Garret Dalheart, insects, the dead void of space, the cold, mud, swamps, bogs, unreasonable marines and crew members.

� SERVICE HISTORY

Howard Dalheart enlisted for the Colonial Marines at age 18 in 2137, and first served onboard the USCM Corvette USS Nan-Shan.

In 2160 Dalheart was transferred to the Frigate USS Tremolino, and promoted to the rank of Major at age 41.

In mid 2165, hostilities broke out between a USCM Task Force, which included the USS Tremolino, and a Union of Progressive Peoples' Expeditionary Force during what would be later known as "The Tientsin Campaign". A Major at the time, Howard Dalheart famously broke & routed the UPP's blockade of the planet Tientsin. He valiantly led a small strike team that destroyed UPP Colonel Ganbaatar's capital ship "Razumov" in orbit, while the Colonel engaged in planetside operations. He later conducted planetside evacuations during the "Battle of the Bogs", saving the lives of over 500 Colonial Marines; earning him the nickname, "The Grey Alligator'.

In 2166, Howard Dalheart was awarded the Medal of Exceptional Heroism & Medal Of Valor, promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel, and given command of the USS Verloc for his achievements during the Tientsin Campaign.

In 2171, the USS Verloc was decommissioned, and Howard Dalheart was given command of the newly christened Arikara-class patrol transport, USS Almayer.

As of 2186 Howard Dalheart is a few months away from the USCM's mandatory retirement age of 68 & continues to serve onboard the USS Almayer as the Commanding Officer.
    Last edited by TheDexFiles; 09-18-2019 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen you in-game, but your application, and forum join date, more than makes up for that. The application is simply great; I enjoyed reading your answers, and especially the Dossier. I really liked that your Dossier wasn't yet another PFC jumps to CPT situation, so that's a plus.

That being said, I do want to point out some of my very minor issues with the app itself:

Circumstances for a BE would be if a Player is actively trying to disrupt the mission's objectives with terrorist activities, and or is ruining other player's enjoyability of the game with low RP antics, and or major griefing problems.
    I like your BE answer; it clearly shows that you know what's up with a BE, and when you should use it. Do know that you'll likely not have time for an ahelp, and, if you're available, a BE is a way better method to stop a terrorist or griefer from dragging down your ship into chaos.

If they are simply a new player I would direct them to the wiki, ask them to Ahelp for a mentor, or assist them myself if I must.
    Once again, you'll likely not have enough time to instruct them to the wiki. Mentors are also being phased out. Know that, as a Captain, you'll have to delegate people mostly; if a MT is incompetent, delegate the CE. If they're incompetent too, send the XO. If they're incompetent aswell, only then you shall go there yourself.

Also, your character seems to be yet another generic, calm and competent Captain, but this is no issue for me.

Overall, it's a +1 from me. Good luck!
    Claire O'Reilly, the vitriolic Corporate Liaison!
    Cassie, the helpful Synthetic!
    Kre'Zuhl, the self-declared greatest worshipper of Thardha!

HRP Main to the Bone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know Garrett, trust him as a player and for the role, enjoyed the application and believe he not only knows the role but knows CM lore and has the ability to implement it.

In other words.
    Trustworthy for the role, good player, can RP, and his answers show a level of tact and consideration of consequences and subsequent response that I can only approve of.

For a small example, his BE answer while it follows a philosophy on BEs I don�t agree with, does acknowledge a variety of considerations he would make before doing a BE.

An easy +1 for me.
    I hope to see a Captain Dalheart soon commanding
    Last edited by Vispainius; 09-19-2019 at 03:31 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are a good player and have been around for awhile now, so that is a plus. The answers on the app are also pretty decent.

Say you were CO and the SL from alpha squad took his squad, went off somewhere and ignored your orders.. How would you handle it?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffith78 View Post
    Say you were CO and the SL from alpha squad took his squad, went off somewhere and ignored your orders.. How would you handle it?

I would first want to make sure that there wasn�t a good reason for such insubordinate behavior, such as collapsing front line with a reasonable retreat. If there is a good reason, I would inform alpha SL that he should always run his current plan of action to me before, during, or at the first possible chance he or she has; simply to keep me informed of the troop�s movements and progress so I can devise plans of action with more Precision. I would make the SL do some push-ups if I saw them later in the round while out of combat as positive reinforcement.

If i�ve determined that there is not a good reason, I would contact with the Alpha SL and his squad, informing them of their current objectives, and in what ways they are not complying with them. If belligerent or unresponsive, I would make it well-known to all members of alpha squad that such behavior is treasonous; and as a staff sergeant of the United States colonial Marines, the SL has a sworn duty to protect the United Americas and all of her colonies from foreign and domestic threats. I would continue by informing the SL that if he or she continues with this behavior, I will have no choice but to mark him or her as AWOL, and consider the SL in question as a threat to the United Americas.

If the behavior remains unchanged, or if the squad leader is belligerent, I would swiftly mark & order his or her arrest, demote the SL, and assign a new squad leader after discerning which marine in the squad is fit for command. I would also like to discern whether or not any other squad members were willingly disobeying orders, or simply following their squad leader�s orders.

During this I would also keep my command staff and MP�s informed of the situation as it develops, in order to swiftly carry out the arrests if need be.

I would order his removal from the battlefield in a non lethal way to the new aSL or a different SL if able.
    My very last resort would be to send down the CMP and or the MPs to locate and detain the squad leader, along with any of his compatriots that willingly and knowingly disobeyed orders.

Garret Dalheart reporting for Duty!
    Captain Howard Dalheart Captain of the USS Almayer Deceased
    Ckey: TheDexfiles
    Joined the fight 19 Dec 2017

Current Record holder for most dead in a single OB at 25
    Sorry mates

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice answers, just what I was looking for.

Happy to give you the ol' +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesus Christ it's like you did a walk in interview and got the job that very day! The answers are spot on, and I would absolutely love to be a Grey Alligator,

+1

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you aware that in this role, If you lose the round regardless if it was in your control or not. That you'll be blamed/heckled by other players?

Are you aware that people might try and fuck with you to try and incite a BE or bait you into doing something dumb?

And lastly do you have thick skin?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bancrose View Post
    Are you aware that in this role, If you lose the round regardless if it was in your control or not. That you'll be blamed/heckled by other players?

Are you aware that people might try and fuck with you to try and incite a BE or bait you into doing something dumb?

And lastly do you have thick skin?
    I�m fully aware that blame of any lost rounds I Command for will fall fully upon myself, regardless of my best laid plans, efforts, and good intentions. My commander understands that in war you do not always emerge victorious, and will always take full responsibility for the round�s outcome. Part of my character is that he is an honorable old man who goes down with the ship; but would encourage those who wish to stay or evacuate to do so on their own accord if the situation becomes that dire.
    I have always considered that losing a round of CM is nothing to get upset about. Loss is always a possible outcome no matter how hard you try, and it should be taken with stride and mindfulness of what you can improve upon. My time playing Colonial marines has taught me that losing, while it can be disappointing and disheartening; is a feature of the game, and can lead to very intricate and fun role-playing moments between players in their final moments.
    I always like to keep in mind that you will always have another chance to win in the next round.

As far as heckling goes, I see unwarranted harassment as part and parcel of playing in command rolls. Being able to shrug off, and or discipline such heckling Marines in the correct and LAWFUL manner is a major part of playing the roll of the commander. I would go as far to say that such a mindset and professionalism should extend to any command or MP rolls.

Those who would try to incite a BE would not have much luck; I am not a big fan of battlefield executions unless they are fully necessary, with no alternative options possible. As for those who would try and bait me into doing something dumb; i�ve learned that asking myself the question of �Is doing this either going to break a rule, or ruin another player�s round?� is a healthy question to keep at the forefront of my decision making in game (and in life in general really). I fully believe that I�ve learned from my past mistakes throughout my time playing CM enough to understand what I, as a guest on this server can and cannot do.

I believe some players tend to forget that all of the other little sprites they see sliding around from square to square are REAL people sometimes, and that you should always try to approach them with reason and respect; granted they aren't on the enemy team that round.

Lastly, yes I have thick skin. This game has taught me that you shouldn�t take anything that happens during the round as personal. Be it death, in character insults, ic pranks, fights, disagreements, and even grief.
    I always do enjoy the end of round OOC segments where we get to talk about everything that occurred, and seek out people who interacted with, killed, or engaged in an old fashioned fistfight with me IC, and have a good laugh about it OOC.

In end You should be having fun. I hope you find my answers agreeable, and to your liking.
    Last edited by TheDexFiles; 09-21-2019 at 10:40 AM.

Garret Dalheart reporting for Duty!
    Captain Howard Dalheart Captain of the USS Almayer Deceased
    Ckey: TheDexfiles
    Joined the fight 19 Dec 2017

Current Record holder for most dead in a single OB at 25
    Sorry mates

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, +1 man.