User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Claymores

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Claymores

After yet another round dying to a well placed claymore, im starting to get frustrated by their current state. They can be hidden under a million things. Are we supposed to shift click every object on the ground to see them? There is simply no counter, you're just a runner or lurker hitting what appears to be a quiet flank and BOOM ko'd and some marine with a pump runs up and finishes you. Besides visually spotting something that sits UNDER objects there is no counter. I would prefer if the damage would take like 75% of your health but wont stun you for 7 seconds as it is now, giving the xeno player a reasonable chance to escape while still allowing any marines close by to kill that xeno easily with a single burst, slug, or PB. As it stands now, making a single mistake and not checking EVERY tile infront of you could result in a 1 hit kill due to the stunlock, and some engi could have upwards of a dozen hidden

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty40 View Post
    - snip -
    You have some old/fake news mate. There is special code on Claymores that always puts them on top. You can't hide Claymores no more, they are always on top of the anything (besides bodies). Resin traps with acid and benos on the other hand... Can be covered by 90% of the sprites in CM. Piece of trash from candy? Better right click it, or there might be resin trap. Also Claymores don't kill anything besides young runners I guess, you will get stunned and you will be at basically 0 HP, but you will survive without marine intervention.

What do you think about resin traps? Are they cool, always visible and fair?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    Also Claymores don't kill anything besides young runners I guess, you will get stunned and you will be at basically 0 HP, but you will survive without marine intervention.
    I can say from experience that any runner that isn't ancient can be dropped into crit from a claymore blast, which is a death sentence for a runner harassing a flank. Even if the Marines don't see you you'll still bleed out in crit. Resin traps are definitely a lot easier to hide than claymores, but I think that's somewhat countered by play style. Marines typically slowly and methodically advance, so if they miss checking for a hugger trap under a flowerpot as they clear a room I have no sympathy for them. Runners zoom around, and it's almost impossible to check for claymores. It sucks that one claymore reliably kills them, but claymores seem to exist specifically to counter them. I hate it every time I hit a claymore as a runner, but I think it falls under the rule of "git gud." Runners need to learn to spot claymores better, and Marines need to learn to check for traps.

That all seems to fall under "being robust" though, and I've heard it said that this would be a vastly different game if everyone was robust.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn, that's tough man, I could never imagine what it feels like to step on something that's hidden under a sprite and be taken out the game soon after. Dang man, that's tough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Claymores have their place and are criminally underused by marine side relative to how many req can for some fucking reason pump out
    Resin traps are INCREDIBLY turbo easy to spot, since they take up 80% of the entire tile in regards to their actual object vs the 25% that is actually visible, so you can just hover, no need to right click, over any tile with an object on it, to stop resin traps being any threat.
    Claymores are easy to spot...unless you're playing runner and going at 20000mph to gank some PFC in Nexus or some shit. They BEEP RED.

If you *really* wanted claymores to be less annoying, which I don't think is necessary, you could:
    A: make them beep and blink more often
    B: make them more costly or show up in ASRS less often
    C: make them only be able to be put down and disarmed by Engineering: 2 (SL) or 3 (engineer) marines
    Claymores have been the bane of my existence as any Xeno caste without explosive resist because I have a tendency to tunnel vision during battles and have always had horrible environmental awareness in any game I play, but I genuinely think they're fine as it is. If you nerfed their damage or stun they sort of lose their purpose; they are there to obliterate and deter runners/lurkers from turboganking the shit out of marine supply lines, but when mis-used can shred cades or kill marines dragging corpses of colonists.
    Waiting for lagless CM
    Manuel Conrad - Human
    Alexander Keys - Human (Command)
    SA-D5 - Xenomorph
    Har'Kittak - Yautja
    Thomas - Synthetic

I'm awesome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didnt believe CABAL so I went and got a box and set them up, and yeah I guess im kinda retarded. The last time I used them they would be under objects and bodies just like the hugger traps are used, it was aids as a non ancient lurker or runner. I guess that shit already got fixed. Claymores are fine as is
    Last edited by Sixty40; 09-23-2019 at 04:44 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the process of writing a guide about claymores, now that Kesserline left, I'm probably the last constznt claymores user. It will help marines to place those and xeno to avoid them. Just need my internet connection back for the last screenshots (exchange student life)
    The French Madmen: Capitaine Renaud 'Sierra' Chatillon

Almaric, the history teacher synthetic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard you can slash claymores to have them explode in a random direction, but never tried it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Do not run up to defences. Stop at a distance and observe them
    2. Always be at full health

All you can do.
    Slashing them used to work to trigger them without the stun but not anymore afaik.