User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xenos Not Capturing Hosts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Xenos Not Capturing Hosts

Last time I played Colonial Marines was in the peak of facehugger combat, where slapping a facehugger on a marine's face was the most optimal method of winning a fight. As a byproduct, captures were common enough that Xenos didn't rely on burrowed larvae to buffer their number. Now, the only castes that I know of that are capable of placing a facehugger on a marine are drones, Queens, and carriers, the former two scarcely seen on the frontlines, and the latter one all too rare to make a significant difference in capturing hosts. Taking the host directly to them is further made difficult by the fact only warriors are truly capable of making a successful capture without the aid of other Xenos, with a capture otherwise requiring a full circle ofXenos disarming and a runner devouring in order to pull off.
    What, then, is the best method of incentivising captures? It's far easier to kill marines and have them respawn as burrowed than it is to actively capture foes, which is a dangerous crutch for Xenos to rely on. Yelling "capture, don't kill!" does little to change this, so what's a possible gameplay mechanic that could be adjusted or introduced to help alleviate this problem?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't help when lurkers are always slashing every marine in sight whether or not they are capped
    Supposedly I'm a "senior mentor"

Community mentor 10/5/2019 - present

Spoiler Spoiler:

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont even bother capturing anymore unless its a lone dude surrounded by xenos. Only reliable way to capture is knock someone down near a carrier.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShakeEZ View Post
    I dont even bother capturing anymore unless its a lone dude surrounded by xenos. Only reliable way to capture is knock someone down near a carrier.
    What about warrior, huh? Not reliable?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a problem but sadly one I am not sure can be fixed. You see this is tied to "getting good" something most players have trouble with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just spam tackle and hope the other xenos catch on and stop killing the host.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My crappy internet dropped the other day when I was on the frontline as a marine. I was SSD for ten minutes, and when I got back I had been slashed to death. That was a freebie capture that was completely ignored. When I play xeno there's usually only a few captures. It seems rare for a hive to have capturing Marines to grow the hive as their primary purpose, which always seems weird to me given that RP wise that is pretty much their entire purpose.
    Last edited by UnwaveringGrey; 09-23-2019 at 09:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only ways I see benos making an honest attempt at capturing is I'd there is a tangible benefit to it. With burrowed larva and the spawning pool xenos don't have any incentive to risk it, doesn't matter where a larva came from it's just another larva.

If host spawned larva had buff, they might try to go for more captures. This could be the larva starting closer to evolution so they get into the fray quicker. Or something along the lines of a implanted host that is nested providing some benefit to the hivemind such as counting as a larva for determining how many tier 2/3 castes can be supported. Other wise we'd need some hostborn buff that grants stat boost based on caste similar to how aging works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spawning pool exists in like 1% of rounds, it's not important.
    Capturing solo is difficult because you have to stand next to them and they can use their meme macro to instakill you if you miss a tackle. If you inflict enough pain to make them pass out they will die.
    Capturing as a group is difficult because a group is as smart as it's dumbest member, meaning if 6 xenos surround a marine and 5 spam tackle, the dumbest one can still slash it to death and you get no capture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidChan View Post
    If host spawned larva had buff, they might try to go for more captures. This could be the larva starting closer to evolution so they get into the fray quicker. Or something along the lines of a implanted host that is nested providing some benefit to the hivemind such as counting as a larva for determining how many tier 2/3 castes can be supported. Other wise we'd need some hostborn buff that grants stat boost based on caste similar to how aging works.
    Another idea might be to add an "infant" upgrade stage prior to "young" for burrowed larvae evolving into Tier 1s, sitting at about 50-75 ticks. This would represent the reduced nutrition available for larvae born from monkeys, and allow the game to simulate their growth to a form more capable of matching human-born larvae. It'd also have burrowed larvae serve as a long-term buffer more than a way of quickly plugging holes in the frontline.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkermain View Post
    Capturing solo is difficult
    The greatest difficulty I've seen in capturing somebody seems to be the act of devouring them. If this were reduced somewhat, capturing a marine would become a lot more viable. Otherwise you're left tanking shots from pursuing marines as you drag their buddy off, which is a little difficult when you've just exhausted most of your health securing the capture in the first place.