User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M37A2 Ammo: The Final Debate (again)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

M37A2 Ammo: The Final Debate (again)

Old thread from the old forum brought back to life to be discussed in the present, last debate buckshot took the win over slugs.

This time we need to add flechettes; I�m aware we also have incendiary slugs but those aren�t conventional ammunition so tecnically doesn�t count nevertheless you can still add it to your statement.

Speaking for myself, as the creator of the Vanguard Manual my loyalty goes to buckshot and any slug user should be smacked in the head with CHUNK bars until death. Flechette is, eh.. they were deadly with the tri-shot from the MOU but because XENOS MAD it got removed. Incendiary slugs are also an alternative when the map has them, but bottom line, buckshot all the way.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slug is absolutely worse than buckshot, but at least it has a role now as opposed to being useless. Dual wielding with both types is actually pretty fun. Not optimal or anything but fun to try. Flechette is the garbage type now imo
    Goosen Dagen-casual marine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buckshot is, and always has been the best choice of all ammo types and weapons. Its too strong with a BC imo, 2 shot almost anything to crit if not a pile of gibs. Flechette was very good against non-armored xenos, T1's and Lurkers/Spitters, but since the nerf I cant verify damage yet. Slugs are trash now, not that they've ever been great. Incendiary slugs are the best but too rare to count

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty40 View Post
    Buckshot is, and always has been the best choice of all ammo types and weapons. Its too strong with a BC imo, 2 shot almost anything to crit if not a pile of gibs. Flechette was very good against non-armored xenos, T1's and Lurkers/Spitters, but since the nerf I cant verify damage yet. Slugs are trash now, not that they've ever been great. Incendiary slugs are the best but too rare to count
    Buckshot is nowhere as good as it used to be
    Flechette is trash
    Slugs are rubbish
    Inci slugs are garbage

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm gonna stop you right there.

Good slugger is what keeps squad fairly safe during rushes and retreats. Those pesky lurkers and runners pounce-slashing, or warrior grabbing your ass. All of that can be ended with swift slug. With perfect scenario of 3 good sluggers, marines have the ability to just "cancel" screeches. If everyone would shoot and hit rushing Queen in one tick difference, then she would not be able to screech, while her armor would be shredded. Crusher get their charge delayed, or denied if the timing is perfect. And it's possible to actually catch whatever you are chasing, since benos escaping are already beyond buckshot range. You won't rack up kills however, Slug is a tool, it has only utility. Every squad should have 2-3 dedicated good sluggers.

Incendiary slugs just add another utility, it tags benos, scares them off more and lets you even chase them, because they most likely have to drop and roll in darkness and we all know when they are on fire, they glow. Easy kill.

If I would have to choose what kind of ammo should PFC use the most I would pick... Buckshot, despite everything writed before. With buckshot you don't need perfect aim, you give enough damage for most benos to back off.

Flechette is good only against groups of benos, you can reliably damage HP and Armor of couple benos from fairly safe distance. Lack of any stun means it's primarly a "Behind a cade" defense. MOU is still good at it, it's not deadly at it, but three fast shoots will make force T1's to heal.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    Snip.
    Bruh just use Buckshot
    Head Developer & Marine Law Maintainer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slugs have a niche use but Buckshot is simply far more versatile and useful in more circumstances.

Slugs are only useful in a pure support capacity, you are not going to kill a decent leveled Xeno with the damage output of Slugs, I've observed many rounds where Slug damage simply is not up to snuff.

Flechette is just too much hassle to make work, it only works in a defensive position, and again, Buckshot is just more versatile.
    This is war, survival is your responsibility
    Captain Alan Bentway
    Synthetic: Nicholas
    Hunter Kwei Ikthya-de

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanu308 View Post
    Bruh just use Buckshot
    There indeed is a problem with slugs. It requires a decent marine with decent aim to use it to its full power, however the same marine would do more with buckshot.

I, however, will keep using slugs just to be a special snowflake in something different than bright-colored hairs, or wearing some piece of cloth instead of helmet. Also to flex on MP's during mutinies, who will think that every shotgun equals buckshot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flech sucks ass ever since the revert on MOU release, it was only good when used with the MOU

Slug is ok, but it requires 2 things. Good aim, and good backup. Both are hard to come by

Buckshot is good, and it's no doubt the best shotgun ammo type, even though it's a very bleak shadow of its former glory. With the acid blood damage nerf, you can use buckshot again without dying in 3 PBs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buckshot is and will always be the backline king. Slugs just cannot compete with the 'fuck off' factor of buckshot against lurkers and runners.

However, on the frontline buck's superiority is a bit less solid. Slugs are hella good at making combat T1s and T2s less dangerous, but as mentioned, lack the true damage output. One or two in a battle line can do wonders, just remember the role, don't waste your time on T3s if you have better targets, and if you have slugs only in the frontline, just accept that you need to pull back into second row.

Flechette is nice against armored T3s, to strip the armor. Afterwards, it's poor at best. Strip the armor and switch to buck.

TL;DR they all have their niches, but buck is the general purpose ammo. It can't go wrong if you're not fighting full armor T3s.
    Tyson 'Bunny' Sphere