User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proposal for Expected Contact RP for Liasions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Proposal for Expected Contact RP for Liasions

Hey Gang, Wanted to get some feedback on some ideas for Expected Contact and how the Liasion keys into it all.
    My current proposal and headcanon is that as a Junior Executive, the CL may/may not have a vague knowledge of the xenomorphs. It's up to them as a player to decide the level of loyalty they have to we-y and knowledge of the xenomorphs to an extent. No CL is going to have colonist levels of knowledge, but they might know in vague passing about w-y's research projects with the xenomorphs.

My second head cannon is that Weyland Yutani, continues to be highly secretive about their research and that while the USCM knows of the Xenos, it doesn't know why they've caused the demise of 'colony-x'. For the USCM it's just a random distress signal, and they don't know the reason behind the distress signal until they land and find out. While the USCM might discover Xenos, which they're aware of, it could be attributed to any reason such as living in the caves (being awoken) a crashed meteorite with Xeno eggs, or any other reason, and not just immediately placed on the blame of W-Y.

W-Y Xeno research is the same as death squads just an unproven rumour.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been confused about what "expected contact" actually means since the thread seemed to only mention the OOC rules and it's hardly ever brought up ingame. Does it mean we know what xenomorphs are? Do we know that the colonies are used for xeno research?

It seems to me that it should be buffered out with some sort of "Xenobiology" book that spawns in research and contains fluff about the various monkey-type aliens like yirens along with some stuff like Arcurians. Something glaring that points out "Yes there are aliens but they're all dumber than us" as common knowledge to most people, which is how I always arrpeed before expected combat came out (funny enough the standard rules still have a part that says "The USCM only know about things that are human in origin." despite the inclusion of alien creatures from the baystation code and the Arcturians mentioned in the movie.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The level of knowledge the CL has about xenos is completely up to the CL to decide, mostly because it only really affects the RP elements of the CL along with those who he RPs with and lets on on the details (mostly survivors ofcourse as they are usually WY employees or they get hired/coaxed into signing affidavits of intent to preserve WY's integrity), again the CL is extremely flexible with the kind of RP knowledge you can have so long you don't do something silly like immediately telling USCM marines about every xeno and their capabilities aswell as basically admitting that WY is behind the infestation, it all depends on what kind of scenario you have in mind and on how you wish to interact with survivors or any other people you are working with such as researchers or MTs.

I like to think of the CL as a game master for a DND setting more or less, survivors and RP roles on the ship look up to you to make things interesting for them, how you do that is up to you and you have a lot of ways to approach it.

Whitelisted Predator ChainsawMullet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidofmk771 View Post
    I've been confused about what "expected contact" actually means since the thread seemed to only mention the OOC rules and it's hardly ever brought up ingame. Does it mean we know what xenomorphs are? Do we know that the colonies are used for xeno research?
    It means the USCM has encountered xenos before and has at minimum a basic knowledge of how hives function (you can RP not knowing, still, it could be your first assignment to a bug hunt). What this basically means is you can know the proper name of all the castes & their basic functions (ravs immune to fire, spitters spit, boilers gas etc.) and that huggers put larva in your chest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidofmk771 View Post
    Marines now know about Xenomorphs, their castes, their tactics and what they do. However, we don't know necessarly expect Xenos on Planetside, they can be CFL or Pirates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember years ago when either Feweh or Apop himself said that caste names were supposed to be ICly coined by marines, and I didn't think that changed. I never really felt like people actually got in trouble for calling runners "runners" or opting for surgery right after waking up from facehugging so I just don't see what this does beyond confirming these things as acceptable.

I even recall the debate over supposed meta-targetting of research labs and caves but it kinda just seems like the logical thing to do ICly, so I guess this whole thing is more just an attempt at straightening all this stuff out?
    Last edited by davidofmk771; 09-26-2019 at 02:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had an admin bwoink me once because I used "specimens of XX-121" in one of my faxes, this was late into the round mind you. they did a big stink of "YUO CANNOT CALL THEM THAT111!!!!"

Of course no faxes ever got replies before or after the bwoink.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentMountain View Post
    Had an admin bwoink me once because I used "specimens of XX-121" in one of my faxes, this was late into the round mind you. they did a big stink of "YUO CANNOT CALL THEM THAT111!!!!"

Of course no faxes ever got replies before or after the bwoink.
    Atleast you know someone has read them. That's good enough. However "XX-121" is a WY term and low-life pencil pusher on vessel with conscirpts isn't worth enough to know such dirty secrets.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly the CL is in a boring spot, let them rp it out. If anything, set minimal guidelines they would need to follow.
    Goosen Dagen-casual marine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    Atleast you know someone has read them. That's good enough. However "XX-121" is a WY term and low-life pencil pusher on vessel with conscirpts isn't worth enough to know such dirty secrets.
    Wouldn't a WY agent , given the current RP rules, sent to report on an operation into a WY facility that they know has been infested by xenos, be at the very least given the name of the species ?

But I mean sure, I can buy that. really, why would anyone care? why is that bwoink-worthy? It's not like it's gonna affect the round for anyone ever, it's not gonna meta them.

It just seeems like too much of a "no fun allowed" moment