Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

popjin - Commander Application

Commander Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    popjin

Player Name You Use Most?
    Roswell Weeter

Make a list of links to all of your applications and (job)ban appeals, including whitelist and staff apps, within the last year. Also, provide "Ban reason; Verdict" beside each (job)ban link
    N/A

Have you received any ban within the last month? How long was it and what for?
    No

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

How do you view the tool of Battlefield Execution to be used? What circumstances do you think it would be necessary to BE a member of the crew? Where do you think the Battlefield Execution Mechanic Differs from regular Execution and why?
    I think that BEs are a last ditch tool used to bring order to chaos and immediately shut down unacceptable behaviour. It should only be used if a crew member is being disruptive to a point where MPs and other crew cannot reasonable deal with the issue. For example, it could be used for borderline OOC issues on lowpop where normal procedures aren�t available, and certainly shouldn�t be commonplace as you are taking people out of the round without any appeal or oversight. In this way, it also differs to a normal execution as there are no processes for appeals or pardons other than a player report or ahelp.

How will your Commanding Officer run his/her ship? Provide a detailed explanation on how he would handle situations that might commonly occur such as, a insubordinate engineering staff, a Staff Officer who cannot do anything right, an Executive Officer wh
    My CO, Roswell Weeter, would run the ship with high standards and expectations of his staff and marines. Ignorance is fine, but incompetence is not.

In the case of insubordinate engineering staff, I would warn them and remind them that I am their acting commander. If they continue to be insubordinate, I would attempt to RP with them to find out what the issue is and perhaps shame them over command announcement. If they simply don�t know how to load an OB or setup the engine, I would get someone to teach them, perhaps a combat engie or synthetic if present. If they�re simply doing this because they�re chucklefucks, I�ll threaten them with arrest and follow up depending on if they continue.

If a Staff Officer is continually messing things up, I would again attempt to RP and work out the issue. If it turns out they are doing this intentionally, such as deliberately fucking up an OB, I would demote them and perhaps chuck them planet side to provide intel.

In the case of an Executive Officer, I would have much higher standards. If they were constantly ordering things disruptive to my plan, I would pull them aside to my office and give them a stern talking to and discussion. If it turns out they knew something I didn�t or that they acted correctly, I would apologise and request to be kept better informed. If they don�t cooperate or ignore me, I would raise the stakes by ordering them to my office publically. If they continue not to respond, I would call in MPs to deal with the issue, perhaps demoting them if it was pushed that far.

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    I think the job of the commander is to set the overall tone of the mission, using their skills and rank to generate much more ship side RP. I think a good commander isn�t necessarily the commander that wins the most rounds, but the one who opens up opportunities for crew and marines to do things outside of �wait, shoot, die�.

As a player what do you think could be added for Commanding Officer to benefit the role?
    I think that giving the CO greater control over radio channels via a special CO comms console would be interesting. This would allow for much greater range of tactics and styles to be used, especially for RP or lowpop. For example, want to merge everyone into 1 giant squad? Use the console to merge alpha, bravo, charlie, and delta radio channels. Want a private line with the CL? Assign them onto a private channel. This is already possible with the aSL system, where assigning an aSL would automatically grant them access to command frequency. I think that being able to directly message people via overwatch style messages and manage comms would be a powerful tool for the CO, and has great RP potential.

What do you think you could contribute by being whitelisted?
    If I were whitelisted, I�d be able to try out tactics and strategies I otherwise wouldn�t have been able to as XO. Often, I find that the XO is often very limited RP wise, especially without a CO. For example, you can�t leave the CIC to go and deal with paperwork for the CL, as doing so would mean the marines not having command announcements and you not being informed for the situation for a bit. By being whitelisted, I hope to be able to do more RP, and lead to better rounds for the crew such as by bringing the WY conflict more into the round and giving other crew members more to do.

Choose one of the following story topics to write about
    Executive Officer Roswell Weeter looked around the bridge, a sorry sight. Only one other member of the four man command staff had woken up and the CO was still in cryosleep, the system probably acting up after decades of use.

As if on cue, the communications console started beeping. Transmission logged from a nearby WY colony, what had triggered the initial wakeup sequence. Barely supressing a yawn, Roswell played the transmission back. A dark haired man with a beaten Colonial Marshals jacket faded in, static invading the transmission.

�This is WY Research Colony X-23 sending out a general distress call. Mayday, Mayday! We�ve been getting hit by UPP forces, and we�ve had some sort of leakage or breach down in the WY Research labs. Requesting immediate evacuation of the colony, and a Hazmat Team down. Mayday, Mayday! This is WY Research��

�Sir, should I initiate wakeup for the marine squadron?� Roswell signed, knowing that they were legally obligated to respond. �Thank you Newen. Initiate standard wakeup sequence and get them ready for briefing at 12:25.� The SO nodded, and left the bridge to start the wakeup.
    45 minutes later, the operation was well underway and going well. The USS Decimate was a smaller vessel, housing only 2 squads.
    �This is alpha lead, we�ve secured the colonial marshal headquarters. Little resistance from the remaining UPP forces. We�re bringing the survivors back, ETA 10 minutes.�

�Roger that alpha lead. Bravo lead, report.�

�Bravo lead here. We got this, uhhh weird thing that the UPP were defending pretty harshly. I had it sent up on the last drop pod run, along with all the data from the colony�s black box. Putting down a supply beacon now.�

�Roger that bravo lead. Suppl-�

As if the Decimate�s orbital cannon had fired, a similar warning popped up onto the Decimate�s main displays. �The heck?� SO Newen looked at his XO questioningly, by Roswell was just as confused.

�Bravo lead, what was that?� The power cut out just as the screams came over.

�You did fire the supply drop and not the OB right?� Roswell glanced at his SO suspiciously through the darkness, not putting it past him to do such a thing. This would be a lot of paperwork later on.

�No Sir! I haven�t even - � His protests were punctuated by the definite sounds of an airlock being forced open. Before he could even turn to look, several soldiers in white fatigues rushed in, weapons drawn. One of them forced the SO to the ground as he tried to protest. Another aimed a battle rifle at Roswell. �You the commander here?�

Roswell shifted, his hand edging towards his trusty Mod 88 holstered on his belt. �I am. And you are?�

�We work for the company. You got a CL on this boat?� The man gestured to another soldier, and power started whirring back.

�No, but I will have to file a - � His words were cut short by the other Mod 88 now being aimed at his SO.

�Here�s the deal� � The man squinted at Roswell�s rank slides. �Commander. We�ve got the samples we came for. We�ve dealt with all your crew. As far as anyone is concerned, you misfired an OB, killing all of your enlisted troops. If this got out, you�d be court martialled the moment you got to space dock. Now, we just want your encryption codes. We�ll take the colony data, wipe your systems, and make this all go away. How�s that sound?�

�I don�t suppose I have any choice, do I.� Roswell rose up, walking over to the communications console, the barrel of the battle rifle tracking him the whole time. Reaching for his ID, Roswell drew his Mod 88, ducking down and firing it at the fire alarm. Instantly, the room switched over to emergency lighting, giving him a chance to active the ship�s distress beacon. The shock wearing off, the soldiers grabbed him and forcefully shoved Roswell into the ground, rifles pressed into him.

��Damn f_cker.� Cheek pressed against the floor, Roswell saw the corpse of his former SO slump into the ground, bloodied M4A3 in his palm, useless.

�Bring him up.�

Dragged to his feet, Roswell came face to face with a slick, well suited man with a fancy PDA.

�Roswell Weeter� rank of Commander aboard the USS Decimate. Years of good service. That was pretty smooth, I have to say. Of course, we�ve already disabled your ship�s transponders and beacon. But, WY could use a man like you.� He smiled. �If you accept, we�ll keep your old CO alive on an escape pod. Apparently you quite like him, eh? None of this will have ever happened. We don�t even need your codes anymore. What do you say?�

�What sort of deal?�

�Well, WY needs its interests protected. After what happened here, I don�t imagine you�ll like us very much. But if you accept, you�ll be assigned your every own command on the USS Almayer. How exciting! All you�ll need to do is keep this a secret, and maybe give us a favour or two down the road. What do you say?� He raised his eyebrows.

�How do you know I�ll keep my word? And how do you I know you�ll keep yours?�

�Simple! WY has lots of contacts. We�ll simply pull a few strings! And as for this, it�ll just be written off as lost in space somewhere. You and the CO will be the only survivors of a tragic accident. And if you talk�� He made an expression of mock horror. �We�ll simply be forced to� amend things.�

Roswell looked around his bridge one last time. There was nothing else left.

�I accept.�

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going for neutral since you use net speak when I was the Bravo engineer yesterday (my timezone) and you cannot communicate well.

While we are building the FOB you already push north at storage dorm without any marines with ya. The Lt. told us to get your dead body and I was shock how did you went there without any support.

My advice. If you want to get capt whitelist, improve your roleplaying and avoid using net speak like you did yesterday 'WTF' cause there is a bug issue for you. Also focus in command role.

Good luck. -Cheng 'Monk' Chan
    Last edited by ChengChan; 01-05-2019 at 04:22 PM.

Community Mentor
    11-14-2019

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally haven't seen you much but that may just be my timezone and stuff. Gonna remain neutral but netspeak is a issue. I highly suggest you avoid using that period. Captaincy or no. Personally, whenever I see someone using netspeak in game it usually* shows the person is newer in my personal view.

*Sometimes netspeak is fine... but generally all of it is kind of OOCish and breaks character. In other words, avoid it like the plague.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChengChan View Post
    I am going for neutral since you use net speak when I was the Bravo engineer yesterday (my timezone) and you cannot communicate well.

While we are building the FOB you already push north at storage dorm without any marines with ya. The Lt. told us to get your dead body and I was shock how did you went there without any support.

My advice. If you want to get capt whitelist, improve your roleplaying and avoid using net speak like you did yesterday 'WTF' cause there is a bug issue for you. Also focus in command role.

Good luck. -Cheng 'Monk' Chan
    Thanks! I will admit that my SLing skills aren't the best, although I'd like to point out that I did have marines with me at the time we were scouting the storage dome. I can see why you might have thought I pushed alone, as I was the only one "killed" while I was giving orders, the other marines were captured or fell back, leaving me alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Vispainius View Post
    Personally haven't seen you much but that may just be my timezone and stuff. Gonna remain neutral but netspeak is a issue. I highly suggest you avoid using that period. Captaincy or no. Personally, whenever I see someone using netspeak in game it usually* shows the person is newer in my personal view.

*Sometimes netspeak is fine... but generally all of it is kind of OOCish and breaks character. In other words, avoid it like the plague.
    I agree, I never thought of that as an issue before, but I'll make an effort in future to avoid that sort of speech.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just watched a round with you in it, your application is well made and you answer well enough.

I think I just need to see a few more rounds of you as an XO or SO before I make an opinion.

Neutral for now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Bancrose here. I faintly recall seeing you around before, however I can't quite recall exactly as to how well you've performed in Command roles in the past. If I could see you run any here soon, it would help a lot.

As for the Application itself, your answers are fine in my book. What really sells it to me is the story, as it's pretty unique compared to most, and I found it to be enjoyable all the way through.

With all that out the way, I'd say for the moment I'm Neutral, leaning towards +1.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I havent seen you around enough to make a good call and i trust the opinions of of my fellow councilmen.

Neutral.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say your application is above average compared to others. Though I'm gonna go with neutral on this for now, and will update it at a later time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can really see the work put into this application. The answers show that you have a good understanding over the role, and the story's definitely a cut above the rest. I want to see you IC more often, though. I can give this a +1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't really recall playing with you in game. I don't know if it comes down to timezone or scheduling, but your answers on this app are solid. I'd like to hear more opinions from people who've played with you, but I feel like this app is good enough to justify my support.

+1