User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone like smoke?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone like smoke?

I thought that adding scattering acid to boilers was a step in the right direction but now we got red smoke added to praetorians so I'm wondering what kind of plans the devs have.

Is smoke a necessary evil to counter unga rushes and heavy fortifications?

Do gas masks even work?

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lurkermain View Post
    I thought that adding scattering acid to boilers was a step in the right direction but now we got red smoke added to praetorians so I'm wondering what kind of plans the devs have.

Is smoke a necessary evil to counter unga rushes and heavy fortifications?

Do gas masks even work?
    Gasmask only weaken the effects of green gas and maybe slowdown paralysis from orange gas. I have no idea about Red preatorian gas, probably no effect, or like with orange one. It also supposedly have a chance to counter neuro if beno spitting hits head.
    However welding goggles effect on vision is so cancerous that no one ever uses it at all. Like what is the point? Who from Devs/Heads/Admemes still think it's fine and balanced gimmick? If gasmask is that, then I'm afraid for potential new features, where balanced means unused.
    Oh, I'm supposed to fight sentinels with that? Oh well, I have 3/13 chance to ressist a neuro at the cost of 1/2 vison. I will take the entire stock. Oh, I'm supposed to use it in green gas? The only time gas kills you is when it hits you directly, but then you are stunned so you can't wear it. Oh, I'm supposed to wear it in any other gas? It's not like escaping is infinitely times better and they still work like the do without gasmask?

Unga rushes are better countered with acid spray type anyway, since marines can't just go there.

At this point it would be better to give every boiler ability to shoot normal smoke that doesn't harm so that they never lose their "siege status" while they can have fun with railgun, or scatter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. Definitely gas works.

I forget the terms, but between Gas and the shrapnel sequel acid that boilers fire... GAS does the locking down and Shrapnel Acid does the dmg I think.

They both have their usages but if we are talking about RUSHES here... then its gas which comes out as one of the best tools.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me, any kind of �bombardment � or cloud should be exclusively for boilers.

Also the fact praetorians are already a pain in the ass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still saying gas masks should just be ditched, and replaced with cosmetic m17 gas masks.
    Wanna rock that sweet inline filter mask 24/7 just to look cool.

Also has 'nam vibes

Synthetic Council Member QuickLoad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    However welding goggles effect on vision is so cancerous that no one ever uses it at all. Like what is the point? Who from Devs/Heads/Admemes still think it's fine and balanced gimmick? If gasmask is that, then I'm afraid for potential new features, where balanced means unused.
    Oh, I'm supposed to fight sentinels with that? Oh well, I have 3/13 chance to ressist a neuro at the cost of 1/2 vison.
    This is a really good point that I wanna add to a bit.

I've seen exactly ONE person who has used the gasmask extensively; it was on a solaris ridge defence in medbay and he was able to continue manning his M56D with gasmask on against a horde of xenos while everyone else was displaced.

Even the SWAT mask, which by the way costs SIXTY points from req for 2, has the exact same damn vision debuff.
    The vision is so limiting it's laughable and completely expected that barely anyone brings the mask when you could instead just waltz away from it or at worse, take the damage in that one specific situation rather than having no vision elsewhere.

The mask still has its uses but that vision is atrocious haha

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the problem with gas/gas masks is that if you buff the gas mask to actually do its job against gas and not make it impossible to see then everyone will just wear gas masks and ignore boilers when on offense making it even harder for xenos to slow marines down (which is already pretty hard.) Theres no easy way to balance it. You will say something like filters that get used up but that don't matter if you unga all of delta through the gas and kill all the aliens before you need a new filter.

I would be willing to try buffing gas masks to actually work and not block vision if they made gas wider (like old meme mutators) and made gas transparent for xenos. So while INSIDE the gas marines have fucked up vision and xenos have a huge advantage for charging into the gas and fighting marines. But marines can sit in gas with gas mask better for fob defense or whatever. Maybe make gas slowly slowly slowly damage cades over time (not just the one it hits, I think that's how it works now) I think this might be a fair way to balance it.
    Last edited by MasterShakeEZ; 10-07-2019 at 08:10 AM.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make it so that you are much slower when you use gasmask (as that you have difficult breathing trough filters). Also make that breathing from airtank works against gas, but negates the slowdown penalty (still a disadventage since you have to use pocket slot, or belt for airtank). This way you can balance this with few lines of code and it will also eliminate need to buff boiler gas.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    Make it so that you are much slower when you use gasmask (as that you have difficult breathing trough filters). Also make that breathing from airtank works against gas, but negates the slowdown penalty (still a disadventage since you have to use pocket slot, or belt for airtank). This way you can balance this with few lines of code and it will also eliminate need to buff boiler gas.
    that would just make fobs impossible to break. No need to move while in FOB. Everyone would just wear a gas mask and boiler would be completely useless in a siege (literally what its made for)

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShakeEZ View Post
    that would just make fobs impossible to break. No need to move while in FOB. Everyone would just wear a gas mask and boiler would be completely useless in a siege (literally what its made for)
    You still wouldn't see what is inside gas and that is enough. Gas covers benos who can freely melt cades and escaping with minimal damage since no marine could focus melters. This is why gas is so effective at sieges, not it damaging property. Orange gas is much better at siege than green one anyway, but boiler mains have too smol brains to understand it.

Maybe make something to prevent building when having gas mask on your face, or just in gas to reduce engineers repairing those melted cades. Two boilers would give enough firerate of gas to prevent most repair attempts.
    Last edited by CABAL; 10-07-2019 at 08:49 AM.