AccointNaim - Synthetic Application

Synthetic Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    AccointNaim

Marine Name
    Jasmine 'Bull' Bullard

Name/Designation of the Synth Character you wish to play
    Kate

Are you familiar with the Synthetic Programming and Guidelines?
    Yes, and also with marine law.

Synthetic Character Story
    Kate is standing in the CIC, everyone is in Cryo Sleep, the Almayer is currently on course to Trijent Dam, a Dam on planet ?????? to support againts a CLF Rebellion.

Kate turns and looks at the digital clock on her wrist, its currently 12:00, 2187-01-05, two months after inital departure, from previous orders from high command and safety instructions for Cryosleep, Kate climbs down and enters the Cryosleep room, and begins turning them all off one by one. Ignoring most of the occupants untill they got to the Captains pod.

They put most of the Blueberry Souto cans on the pod into a disposal bin, the rest by the side of the pod, turns it off, opens it, and begins waking up the Captain.

"Wake up, Captain." Kate says quietly. The Captains eyes slowly open, "Oh... Kate... five more minutes, go.. set up the engines..." They say, as their eyes slowly close again.

Kate smiles, and begins moving to upper engineering, picking up a toolbox on the way.
    10 minutes later, Kate is finished fixing and refueling all the generators, and they turn on half and a quarter of them to save on fuel, as they enter the Cryosleep chamber, one of the pods are open, as they walk towards the Captains pod, they look inside, and the Captain is gone, "Captain?" Kate says, as they look around, they begin rushing towards CIC with the same smile on their face as before.

As Kate enters CIC, they see a Delta Marine trip the Captain, steal their Mateba, and grabs them with the Mateba againts the Captains head. "Kate! Help!" The Captain yells, as Kate rushes forward the Delta Marine aims the Mateba at Kate and says "Don't move or I'll kill you!" Kate immedietly stops.

The Delta marine begins backing up and points the Mateba at the Captains head again. "What do you want, Delta Marine?" Kate says, smiling as usual. "Isn't it obvious fucker, complete control over the Almayer!" The Delta Marine says, "Well, I can't grant you that, but if you perform good in the next few missions, you might get promoted!" Kate says, smiling, again. "I can't wait that long" The Delta marine says slowly taking the ID off of the Captain and throwing their dogtags to the ground.

"Okay, I have a compromise, marine. I will get you some gear from the Captains's office, will you then let the Captain go?" Kate says. "Only if you promise me I get to be the Captain, right, fucker?" The Delta marine pistol whips the Captain, "Yes, Captain, isn't that right?" Kate says, winking at the Captain while the Delta Marine is busy aiming the Mateba at the captains head again. "Y-Yes, Kate!" The Captain says.

Kate walks away with their hands pointing towards the Marine, and enters the Captains office, opens their locker, and grabs the beret. They walk out and begin walking towards the Brig, and picks up a flash and puts it in their pocket. And enters the CIC again, "Do you have it, Kate?" The Marine says, "Yes, I do." As they show the white beret to the marine, "Give it here!" The Marine says, Kate begins walking towards the Marine with one of their hands on their pocket. And hands the Beret to the Marine, the Marine puts away the Mateba and begins putting on the Beret.

Kate quickly pulls out the flash, flashed the Marine, and held them down on the ground. "Captain, please grab some handcuffs and wake up the Military Police." Kate says. "T-Thanks Kate" The Captain says, while Kate smiles. "I'll begin setting up breakfast for the marines." Kate says.

(Big thanks to the #whitelist-app-help on discord for clearing up a few things. Also, a sidenote, I've posted alot on the old forums. So thats why this is my second/first post.)

How do you intend to play your Synth?
    Kate would be the Diplomatic type, such as instead of flashing the marine who started hitting a Window, they'd pull them away and ask them to not do that, if they still went and broke the window, Kate would call the MP.

They wouldn't talk themselves out of every situation though, such as Xenos slashing their arms off they wouldn't say "Dear Aliens, could you not do that?", They would attempt to flee and fight back.

Also they would try to crack a joke in every situation. Because jokes.

How familiar are you with support roles? (ie; Medical, MT, Science, SO)
    Medical: I can do surgery, I know what most of the chems do, and know how to fix someone up out of critical back into full.

Maintnence: I know how to construct, how to fix the engines, and other things. Just not fixing Trijent Dam water filtration.

SO: This RARELY comes up as a synthetic, but I'm good with it.

Chemistry: I'm, not really good at it. Just good at knowing what the chems do.

Why should we whitelist you?
    I've been apart of the community for a long time, I was a mentor, then retired. And, I'd like to dip my toes into the better roleplaying side of things. I know what Synths are, and do, (Thanks TGMC) and think I'd be a great addition for the low pop marine ships, which are what I'm usually on.

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason?
    Nope.

Are you currently banned from any other servers and if so, why?
    Nope.

Do you understand that any player - donor or otherwise - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our rules or the Synthetic Programming Guideline?
    Yes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've observe that your gamestyle isn't really enough for me, there is one time you didn't care about those Marines are dying in Ice Colony or Solaris ridge. Instead of being competitive in Command role, you lack something.

Neutral for now.

PS. I am not a synth, but as a player i am looking for a competent player to role Synth.

Community Mentor
    11-14-2019

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So to me the story itself seems pretty well written, and while I like that it is short, I don't think your quite able to fit in enough examples of your synth and quirk in action with that size. For example I can't find any example of Kate making a joke, so there's no way for me to know anything about that aspect of your synth or what kind of jokes you'd be making. I don't think it's impossible for you to make a story of this size work, but you just need to somehow fit it all in there. And if that's not possible, a longer story with multiple examples of your quirk would suffice just as well.

I'm not quite sure about the quirk itself either, like a synth already has to be quite a bit diplomatic as their programming only allows violence in situations where your life or others lives are in danger. A synth is also expected to be able to take on a HRP role which adds roleplay value to other players rounds, this includes taking the diplomatic path and not just flashing everyone in every situation. I really doubt any synth we have on our whitelist would immidately flash a marine for hitting a window without even giving them a warning. This makes the quirk a bit underwhelming to me personally as I see it as something that is just embedded into every synth already to an extent.

The joke quirk could work, it's quite a bold quirk to take however. Even though you wouldn't have to be joking 100% of the time I'd at least expect you to crack a few every round, which could be tricky since they'd have to be jokes that would be fitting for a synth to say.

It'd be also nice if you could find a way to prove your skills at the support roles, maybe record a round or let us know of a known player that is aware of your competence? I'd also like to know if you have ever done roles such as RO/CT or PO.

I'd like to know what everyone else says before giving my vote, but I fear I am leaning a bit towards a -1 here. If the application does not get accepted though I would really like to see you applying again in the future, you obviously put some time into making the story as well written as it is which tells me you do care about this role.

Changing to a -1.
    Last edited by 4000daniel1; 01-08-2019 at 05:15 PM.
    Max Judge, the 45 year old slightly fat man with an unfitting action hero name.

Fred, the worrisome synth.

Whitelisted Synthetic
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Explain to me in your own words how a synthetic works with the enforcing side of marine law. Can they make arrests? Would it be a good idea to carry a flash?

I'd also suggest getting some time in as Doctor, and manning the chemistry room. As a synthetic I often get asked to help doctors make medicine, and knowing how to make them would be a good skill to have.

Are you familiar with how dropships work?

A quirk is meant to be a personality your synthetic possesses, could you go into more detail on yours?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4000daniel1 View Post

It'd be also nice if you could find a way to prove your skills at the support roles, maybe record a round or let us know of a known player that is aware of your competence? I'd also like to know if you have ever done roles such as RO/CT or PO.
    I'll try to record a round, I'll post the video on the replies, or PM you. And, yes I have done RO and CT, and know how to pilot a dropship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulaboy View Post
    Explain to me in your own words how a synthetic works with the enforcing side of marine law. Can they make arrests? Would it be a good idea to carry a flash?

A quirk is meant to be a personality your synthetic possesses, could you go into more detail on yours?
    Synthetics can make arrests, but they can't set the timer, perma them, or execute, and they should only make an arrest in a last resort, and if you're ordered to when theres no MP's. And, yes it would be a good idea to carry a flash for self defense.

I don't think I made a good decision with the quirk, but maybe I can make it work..

Lets get this situation, I've been captured by xenomorphs, multiple marines near me are captured, with the queen right next to me, Marines are holed up in the FOB going to fall any minute, and we know everything about the Xenos. I'll speak in Xeno for this.

"Excuse me, Mister, misses..." Kate glances at the Queen. "Lets just say, Queen, I think I've heard that. Would you like to make a deal?" Kate says, with the Queen now glancing down at them. "And that deal is, metal host?" The Queen says. "We have many monkies back on our ship, it would be much safer than Marines, you've seen how dangerous they are, right? I think they've killed 10 of your subjects. For the 3 marines in here with me, I'll give you six monkies, is that a deal?" Kate says, the Queen staring at the marines, one of them getting up trying to break out while a sentinel enters the chamber. "Hm, I think that would be best for the both of us. The 'Marines' are very close to bursting, I do think there is nothing you can gain, and more for me if you get them back on the 'Ship', very well, Sentinel!" The Queen says while the Sentinel is done tucking in the marine, and begins walking towards Kate pulling them out of the nest. "May you release the Marines? I'll tell them not to shoot you." The Sentinel agrees and begins freeing the three marines in the secure nests, as Kate turns off their voice modulator. "Ah, hello Marines, please do not shoot the enemy. I told them to release you in exchange for monkies, now follow me now, will you?" Kate says, as she looks at the three marines, all of them limping towards Kate, "K-Kate, help..." Jasmine says, "Whats the matter, cats got your tongue?" Kate says to Jasmine as a chestburster exits through their mouth, a very rare occurance for the Xenos. "Oh." Kate says. "Well, follow me marines, I'll grab their corpse for the morgue." As the marines and Kate leave, Kate turns on their voice modulator again and says "Queen, if you call back the attack, I will give you two whole boxes of monkies." The Queen looks at them and says, "Very well, metal one." Kate and the marines leave and when heading towards LZ1 they see multiple Xenos heading back to the hive, not all of them on the attack, but most of them. As they enter the Alamo, Kate thinks "They truly are stupid, to think I'd give them an advantage."

I'll probably make more stories in the other threads, so check 'em out.
    Last edited by AccointNaim; 01-06-2019 at 12:04 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, Im not vibing with the quirk at all. It almost doesn't even seem to be like a quirk as in most situations you'll probably just ask a marine to stop doing something passive aggressively as most synths do. there is nothing that makes it a real personality quirk. Putting that aside however I am going to go on a -1 because as captain I saw you set up an execution for an already dead man and proceed to execute an already dead man shooting into his lifeless corpse wasting time for almost no reason besides shits and giggles and to me that seems honestly low RP, not fitting to the standards of a synthetic

-1 sorry naim, maybe the third time will be the charm
    Last edited by VortexGaming; 01-06-2019 at 08:19 PM.
    Kaitlynn Lawson The Captain: https://cm-ss13.com/old/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=18802
    Alicia The Motherly Synthetic: https://cm-ss13.com/viewtopic.php?f=149&t=17406
    Ja'akir Aki The Messenger of the Gods: //showthrea...or-Application
    Staff history:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Whitelisted Synthetic
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Synthetics need the expressed permission of the CMP or the CO to detain anyone. I really do think you hurt yourself by choosing to write about such a sensitive area.
    Clancy Long
    Ethan

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally I don�t harp on the story, but there�s a lot of grammatical errors in this one.

However the biggest thing I�ve seen with this application, I don�t consider your quirk really a quirk.
    A synth should always be using their words, and being diplomatic is something that comes naturally.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't imagine any situation in which you would flash a marine just for hitting a window, especially not as a synth, so your quirk doesn't really feel like a major thing to me.

Knowing chemistry is also really important, since it's something you'll often be asked to do as a synth. You don't need to have every single button press memorized or anything but you need to be able to make the things that are going to be commonly requested like dex+ or tricord.

In spite of that, I'm going to remain neutral for now. I know you're a good player and RPer and I'm confident you could figure out what you need to do fairly quickly, so I'm open to upgrading that to a +1 in the future.

If you'll answer a question for me, what would you consider to be an example of an illegal order from the CO that, as a synth, you would be required to refuse to obey?
    Audrey Aulin, found (drinking tea) in various roles

Evelyn, the ever-helpful synth

Member of the CO Council. Feel free to PM me here or on the Discord @Retrokinesis#8332 with any CO-related matters.

Former Moderator, Mapper, Official Space Carp Developer, and Lead Burrower Apologist.