Thread: Predator Rework

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Predator Rework

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

The rework for Predators is something long overdue.

However it is something very daunting because while it is difficult to code. It is equally as difficult to find the equilibrium of gameplay and lore.

The purpose and intent of this rework is to fix the ongoing issues that players find themselves the most with predators. I will periodically update this document as the rework goes on.

This is your chance as a player to see whatever ideas you have come to fruition.

The only rule here is you gotta be respectful.

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two things that need to happen. IMO.

1. The Yautja need to have their lore expanded upon, significantly. I was in the middle of writing a backstory to the Yautja, to which is completely independent of anything done up by any official content producers for the series and can be our own. The previous ruling on this was that dev's had sole power over what would and wouldn't be lore, thus I stopped and never submitted my intent to run again on the council. With the department being radically overhauled as of late, I would like to bring this up for discussion again. My belief is that the Yautja council and dev team should work in unison to create the lore we so desperately need, with a vote being made up of the five Council members, five devs and a tie breaking vote resting in the hands of you (Bancrose). I don't speak soley of my work of course, but of any and all submissions that would be thrown the way of the council. I speak as a member of this community and as a passionate fan of the Predator franchise.

2. Preds are significantly lacking in RP options at this point. Outside of roaring, clicking, clacking, and screwing around with dead bodies, we find ourselves unable to interact with other players in a way that benefits them and us from a RP perspective. We need tools and the means to be able to be the fluff piece that this role is.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobBrown4PM View Post
    Two things that need to happen. IMO.

1. The Yautja need to have their lore expanded upon, significantly. I was in the middle of writing a backstory to the Yautja, to which is completely independent of anything done up by any official content producers for the series and can be our own. The previous ruling on this was that dev's had sole power over what would and wouldn't be lore, thus I stopped and never submitted my intent to run again on the council. With the department being radically overhauled as of late, I would like to bring this up for discussion again. My belief is that the Yautja council and dev team should work in unison to create the lore we so desperately need, with a vote being made up of the five Council members, five devs and a tie breaking vote resting in the hands of you (Bancrose). I don't speak soley of my work of course, but of any and all submissions that would be thrown the way of the council. I speak as a member of this community and as a passionate fan of the Predator franchise.

2. Preds are significantly lacking in RP options at this point. Outside of roaring, clicking, clacking, and screwing around with dead bodies, we find ourselves unable to interact with other players in a way that benefits them and us from a RP perspective. We need tools and the means to be able to be the fluff piece that this role is.
    I know you worked on the lore. So send that to a dev and lets not waste something you've worked on.

As for #2. I have absolutely no idea and am going to rely on you and everyone else in this thread to give ideas so I can put em forward.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What if predators had predesignated hunt targets outside usual hunting targets? Like a few PFCs are picked as valid targets for the predators and if the PFCs die without being made a trophy by a predator, permadie, then a new target is picked. Automatic hunting targets make the predators a more obvious bad guy that should be feared and not just the creepy weirdo outside the FOB.

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bancrose View Post
    I know you worked on the lore. So send that to a dev and lets not waste something you've worked on.

As for #2. I have absolutely no idea and am going to rely on you and everyone else in this thread to give ideas so I can put em forward.
    In-regards to #2

- Being able to skin and hang bodies from ceilings and or trees
    - Being able to choose a god or gods that we worship in our character creation profiles, and somehow being able to display that information in-game.
    - Being able to create totems, either out of materials or body parts, or a mixture of both.
    - Being able to mimic specific players voices via an item that can be attached to our bio masks or bracelet.
    - More significance given to clans. We have however many preds atm, but absolutely no organization in any way. We did try to form clans back in the day, but it kinda fizzled out. Perhaps re-organize Predator's in to clans, take a vote on what the clan's should be and then create them and make it so players have to choose a clan to be a part of, this way true competition and rivalry can be fostered.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Preds start with claws and clan swords. As they kill worthy prey worth more points they get access to more powerful weapons. I like the idea that if a marine or xeno is robust and gets lots kills, the pred comes in to potentially end that kill streak.

CM-SS13 Vice Host
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobBrown4PM View Post
    In-regards to #2

- Being able to skin and hang bodies from ceilings and or trees
    - Being able to choose a god or gods that we worship in our character creation profiles, and somehow being able to display that information in-game.
    - Being able to create totems, either out of materials or body parts, or a mixture of both.
    - Being able to mimic specific players voices via an item that can be attached to our bio masks or bracelet.
    - More significance given to clans. We have however many preds atm, but absolutely no organization in any way. We did try to form clans back in the day, but it kinda fizzled out. Perhaps re-organize Predator's in to clans, take a vote on what the clan's should be and then create them and make it so players have to choose a clan to be a part of, this way true competition and rivalry can be fostered.
    Vocal replication exists to a minor degree in legacy code so in theory it could be done relatively simply, it used to be within Telecommunications codes.

Hanging shit from the ceiling would be cool, but I don't see a viable way to represent that in a 2D game.

A Clan rework would be great, but it's going to require a great deal of work from the whole whitelist to be the change it needs to be. There have been propositions of naming gear for the clans before, and that might be somewhat interesting, but the difficulty remains that Yautja have a hard time recognising eachother until someone talks.
    Charles & Arthur Edwinson
    Synth Percival | Artyom
    Yautja Kjhute Luar-ke

Record:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Discord: forest2001#2001

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThesoldierLLJK View Post
    Preds start with claws and clan swords. As they kill worthy prey worth more points they get access to more powerful weapons. I like the idea that if a marine or xeno is robust and gets lots kills, the pred comes in to potentially end that kill streak.
    This is a feature that one would see in a TDM game, and we need TDM mechanics like we need a nail in the head.

This would also be a nullification of the lore, considering we're all blooded and blooded Yautja have all the gear they have earned by right.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just being able to skin dead bodies I feel would be a major improvement. Skinning dead corpses is a iconic feature of Predators and I feel that'd help somewhat achieve better roleplay if we can showcase the creepy factor of Predators more to the Marines.

In terms of 'hanging' them, just represent the sprite with a rope around their feet and them dangling upside down, if you examine the body it'll state they are being suspended on the roof, naturally you should only be able to hang bodies if there is a roof above you ( copy the mortar/CAS system for that ).
    This is war, survival is your responsibility
    Captain Alan Bentway
    Synthetic: Nicholas
    Hunter Kwei Ikthya-de

Whitelisted Predator ChainsawMullet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) I think step one could be moving Predators to being melee-focused, instead of letting them carry around a plasma caster, pistol, spike launcher, rifle, etc. we could have them all put in an armoury, unlocked when a "Red alert" requires them, such as gear needing to be recovered or an abomination. This would keep the iconic plasma caster present within the role, but make it so that "validhunting" with it is no longer really possible.

2) Having a chapel or its Yautja equivalent present within the ship would be a huge flavour improvement since pretty much every Yautja character has a God they favour & their own ways of worshiping them.

3) Giving Predators more building options and materials, and hashing out the lodge rulings in the honour code. Predators being unable to defend their lodge whatsoever honour code-wise feels so stupid and it should probably be more like, "If you hide your lodge and humans/xenos persist on invading it, you can get violent and defend it honourably." Presently the inability to protect the lodge whatsoever was a bandaid fix to the Yautjas before abusing the ruling to go hog wild for no real reason.

4) I'm not certain the best way to do this, but giving Marines and Xenos incentives to actually roleplay and attack Predators should be a high priority, especially for Xenos as they are basically a no-RP role when it comes to Preds and Marines. Ideas I have seen include making Pred gear give DEFCON, better protection, making the Clan Sword usable for Marines, and buffing Abominations since at present they are super underwhelming and don't really change a round.

5) Hunting as a whole probably needs some deeper inspection, presently most Predators hunt via mini "duels" where they challenge or are challenged by a Marine/Xeno to a 1v1 instead of the normal method of stalking a target, marking and jumping them. Especially since the latter feels completely random for the hunting target and isn't too enjoyable most of the time.

That's all I can think of right now but if I think of anything else I'll post it here, either as an edit or new post idk I'm not a psychic.