User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Synthetic Rework

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    Those traits aren't really that OP against benos, so why bother?
    Synthetics are very strong against Xenos if you simply equip them with a fireaxe. Not only do you have to slash them far more than you do a marine, they don't suffer any degradation of their combat abilities due to all the damage they've sustained. Even when you kill them, you only need to recover the corpse in order for an engineer to rebuild them in their entirety and go in for second round. They're also immune to several Xeno abilities, most notably pounce. At their best, they can slaughter an entire hive if that hive can't focus enough DPS on them to completely eliminate them. At their worst, they're a painful damage sponge that can advance well forward of the front lines, tanking slashes while IFF rains over their head.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Youbar View Post
    Synthetics are very strong against Xenos if you simply equip them with a fireaxe. Not only do you have to slash them far more than you do a marine, they don't suffer any degradation of their combat abilities due to all the damage they've sustained. Even when you kill them, you only need to recover the corpse in order for an engineer to rebuild them in their entirety and go in for second round. They're also immune to several Xeno abilities, most notably pounce. At their best, they can slaughter an entire hive if that hive can't focus enough DPS on them to completely eliminate them. At their worst, they're a painful damage sponge that can advance well forward of the front lines, tanking slashes while IFF rains over their head.
    Preds can't do it with cloak, HPC, better melee weapons etc, but synth will? I doubt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the end of the day, a Synth will be engaged in a combat scenario at least once a round on average, irrespective if they actually start fighting or do start fighting.

Fire axe is dubious, I struggled to deal significant damage against some T1 and T2 xenos when I was cornered in the CL's office. The E-Tool also seemed useless, I hit a Runner (can't recall its age) trapped on the Dropship half a dozen times to no ill effect.

Synthetics are absolutely a minor threat in melee combat in regards to Xenos. With such concerns as...
    • Melee across the board is terrible against armoured xenos, or xenos in general.
    • Acid attacks, from spit to vomit to melee splatter, is extremely punishing.
    • Self-healing is atrociously slow, around 5 to 10 seconds to heal around 10-15 points of damage per limb, at a time. Synths have no natural health regeneration.
    • Hard to follow combat rules that encourage Synths to just run away from any combat scenario to avoid getting into trouble, this is despite the fact Synths should be willing and able to help/fight off threats in practice and in lore.

Just looking at the combat rules. It states that you can fight, but you can't fight in a combat/frontline scenario, the issue comes that the 'frontline' is a undefined term. BUT then the rules go on to say you kinda might be able to fight xenos on the frontline (wherever the frontline is) but that doing so enters you into a grey area.

Also, fighting also encompasses as self defence, so you better hope you don't get attacked by someone near or on the frontline or else you are encouraged to not even defend yourself. Again, the definition of frontline is non-existent that you are encouraged to, again, not fight and try to run away even if you have to abandon equipment/people.

We may as well just teleport Synths away if a xeno gets within 2 tiles of you.

----------------------

I feel a Synth should be able to offer some effective resistance in 1v1 circumstances on lower tier xenos, and I'm sure the powers that be are working/discussing how to approach this combat issue.

At best, I'd like to see the CQC threat of Synths increased to the level where single xenos would be wary of engaging a Synth, although groups of xenos would have little issue. I also think the absurd 'self heal' times should be loosened, it can take upwards of five minutes, or more, to repair basic damage sustained from just running away from xenos, let alone fighting them. Tidying up the combat rules would also be great.
    This is war, survival is your responsibility
    Captain Alan Bentway
    Synthetic: Nicholas
    Hunter Kwei Ikthya-de

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'll give you my opinion on Combat Synthing.

Synth is a role truly dedicated to purely support and there are rules in place to only allow combat in specific situations. There are a few benefits to this,
    Synthetic becomes a reliable support role and you are certain it wont be off ramboing or doing some other stupid shit to get killed. It will support, as that is what the guidelines tell it to.
    On the dev side it can be balanced around not being a combat role, that means more utility tools, better armour and what not.

Synths should be able to defend themselves, but they should never be viable in combat to discourage it.
    A small part of the Synthetic Council

with Jakkk, AcuteCircle, Pedroca2lucas and Kineem

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampmare View Post

Synths should be able to defend themselves, but they should never be viable in combat to discourage it.
    Just like Queen... Oh wait.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just like Queen... Oh wait.
    The queen is definitely meant to be viable in combat, though...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without her screech, the Queen can hold her own well (generally) in 1v1 circumstances, however for every additional opponent you throw at her, she becomes far more vulnerable. She's not good at crowd control without her screech ability. I think her biggest strength in fighting large groups is that she can't be stunned outside of AT rockets so she can neuro stun spam and run until she finds help or gets her screech back.

Which I think ironically makes the Queen seem closer to how Synth is intended, good at self defence in 1v1, very poor when a group of people gang up. Except queen can screech, Synth can just scream but that won't do any good.

--

Do we want Synths to be combat gods? No one is arguing for that.

I think we just want Synths to be able to defend themselves well enough that a Xeno will think twice in solo engaging a Synth. Right now Synths present no tangible threat to Xenos.
    This is war, survival is your responsibility
    Captain Alan Bentway
    Synthetic: Nicholas
    Hunter Kwei Ikthya-de

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cakey View Post
    The queen is definitely meant to be viable in combat, though...
    Yet as the only command role for benos, it's more beneficial to benos to have Queen in Ovi, instead on frontline. Not discouraging Combat Queens leads to fast beno defeats and then admemes have to spawn another because "it's not fun when combat lasts shorter than prep time".

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet as the only command role for benos, it's more beneficial to benos to have Queen in Ovi, instead on frontline. Not discouraging Combat Queens leads to fast beno defeats and then admemes have to spawn another because "it's not fun when combat lasts shorter than prep time".
    Do you have any actual evidence of staff spawning queens in or are you saying shit for the hell of it?

The queen's actions are situational and are entirely up to the player to decide if they want to grow the hive or play aggressive. The original point of this was that the Queen should not be compared to the Synthetic as they are two drastically different roles in both purpose and playstyle.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cakey View Post
    Do you have any actual evidence of staff spawning queens in or are you saying shit for the hell of it?

The queen's actions are situational and are entirely up to the player to decide if they want to grow the hive or play aggressive. The original point of this was that the Queen should not be compared to the Synthetic as they are two drastically different roles in both purpose and playstyle.
    I have actual witness and suspect in the same person of such pratice of spawning additional Queen when original one made a mistake of building hive in Medbay predrop on Big Bread (ask on admeme furscord channel about it). Entire Hive was flanked and 90% of benos killed. What was made in order to keep the round "fun for everyone" because some combat Queen made a mistake of bad spot and dying? Spawning additional ancient benos and new Hive Queen at Elder (if I remember correctly). Marines got a tank. A tank that couldn't go to Caves. Spawned Queen also made a mistake, rushed tank pretty much alone, died to a tank, but also destroyed a tank. Benos made comeback.

So this means that what you say is a bit BS. Queen actions are not entirely up to the player, if he makes pretty bad mistake, benos have to get another chance.

Queen should be what entire Ship Crew is for marines and Synth is in that group of Ship Crew. However losing synth means pretty much nothing to Marines, just one less Doctor/MT and he has combat restrictions. Losing Queen can fucks benos over, no combat restrictions. Discussion about Combat Queen was brought up on old forum and it's still relevant.
    Last edited by CABAL; 10-11-2019 at 11:25 AM.