User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Col.Rice - Commander Application

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get it why your account on the forum is totally new when you're already playing for months now. Anyway, you may be new for others, but seeing as you're picking up the way of things and the good reviews, I am willing to have confidence in you using that fresh blood energy to doing a great job as a Captain. Feel free with the BE however, to deal with any immediate shittery that asks for an immediate response. And aim well too. Solid +1! Do the Captain role proud.
    Last edited by Enyonggg; 10-11-2019 at 04:28 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rice is a a good role player and a decent player. Therefore if my opinion matters, I give Rice a +1.

Whitelisted Captain ScreamingIdiot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Though you have decent community support, this app is simply not up to snuff quite yet.

A number of your answers are concise and mostly technically correct but not descriptive enough to fully answer what's being really asked.

In particular, your plan on applying BEs lists crimes that are already delineated within Marine Law (Sedition, Assault, and Hooliganism/Disorderly Conduct respectively) as either not severe enough to warrant a BE or have procedures for a standard execution. You failed to explain exactly why and when BEs are necessary as opposed to processing criminals through SOP, which leads me to conclude you don't have the initiative, confidence, and knowledge to correctly utilize this tool exclusive to COs. Answering this question satisfactorily is essential in a CO application, and I cannot in good faith accept any application that falls short of this requirement.

Furthermore, from what I've gathered you plan to play as a strict but genial and hard-working CO; however, your answers to the BE and methodology for handling Insub stand in contrast with your professed leadership style. To be specific, you say you plan to simply order MPs to brig marines who get into fights or mishandle of explosives without involving yourself or investigating the matter further. I'm not sure how familiar you are with Marine Law, or if you've played MP/CMP because this exact plan of action has been the cause of many a player report against COs, MPs, and CMPs. This is because, in 80% of cases where there is no clear-cut offender or evidence of ill-intent, a failure to investigate the incident at hand and be lenient with bystanders or Minor Crime offenders leads to unhappy marines sitting on their asses in the brig or just going SSD out of outrage.

Being a good CO requires an understanding of not only the letter of Marine Law but also its spirit. You need to be able to consistently give marines a fair chance at explaining and defending their actions without letting people go for provable and unforgivable infractions without being overly-lenient OR tyrannical. However, as you said, the CO should not have to directly involve himself in MP matters barring extraordinary circumstances (or an absence of MPs in the first place), but if you play as CO the time WILL come where you will have to arbitrate a complicated and nebulous situation effectively enough where there is little to no chance OOC infractions occur on your part or of those involved. Your application does not assure me you are capable of this just yet.

Beyond the previously mentioned ways your app falls short, your application also displays a poor grasp of the English language. Unfortunately writing and speaking English decently is a requirement for any role expected to RP often, as good grammar is essential for efficiently conveying orders and holding conversations in CM SS13, particularly so for a role like the CO.

This language issue becomes particularly glaring in your story as the sentence structures, grammar, and syntax displayed are lacking. Due to this, your story was often hard to follow and understand. Additionally, your story tells the reader a lot about who your character is, but it rarely if ever shows this. Showing rather than telling is almost always a superior way of portraying situations, characters, and concepts in creative writing.
    Well-received stories in CO apps almost always follow three basic rules:

1. Not writing from the 1st Person perspective
    2. Including dialogue where your character is the focus but NOT the narrator
    3. Having a topical and believable in-universe setting

Though you maintain the narrator as a 3rd person perspective (then to 2nd) and present a believable backstory for your character, he has no speaking role whatsoever.

The reason these three rules are used is that they allow CO applicants to properly portray who their CO characters are and how they would act in-game. Of course, decent writing is also necessary, but in essence following these three rules is a good start to making your story accomplish a couple of essential goals: display competence in RP and illustrate an interesting, competent, and professional CO.

Given my disagreements over this app, however, I believe it is very promising regardless. You have a good grasp of what goals you must meet during any round as a CO and you have a decent amount of practical experience as a commissioned officer. Also, your understanding of some of the more abstract aspects of playing a leadership role like improving morale and maintaining good communication channels with your subordinates and peers is a big plus for me. Again, however, for you to really let these aspects shine you must be more descriptive and write in English better.

The CO Council and many past and current CO players are always willing to help applicants improve their apps, whether it's their first, second, or eight-time applying. We all went through the exact same process before getting the whitelist, and we're always looking for new talent like yourself.

If you want to apply again in a month, we'll be here for all your CO related needs.

Commodore Lorenzo Fiore / Sergeant Callisto Fiore / Synthetic Gary
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    4th Division, 4th Brigade, 4th Aerospace Division, 1st Colonial Support Group
    THE FALLING FALCONS
    USS ALMAYER

Part of the CO council. PM me for any and all CO related needs and I'll help you along.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen you in game and the app could use work. I suggest seeking out help from the council, looking up accepted apps and maining XO for awhile. Better luck next time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Writing from phone to all those who don't saw me as XO:

I'm GMT 7+ and i have no plans on playing on your timezone. Thats it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know my lacks of details is a concern according to the people here. Though, again:
    I can assure you that my skills aren't just a bunch of letters. I didn't serve for three years in the Army for nothing.

I can also say i read that Lawbook multiple times. I did not know i have to quote it over.

Thirdly, i asked a Councilor about my backstory template and its fine according to him.

Lastly, i do not need help. I can do better, From your tone: See you next month.

Other than that, i appreciate your advices and will improve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello! It seems like I've never seen you around before, and judging from your rather concise answers on your application I'd like to lay out some situations for you so I can get my personal opinion on you.

1. Your XO appears to have gone missing throughout the entire operation, hailing him on COMMS you find out he's deployed with your gear and had forgotten to tell you, you've got 2 SOs who are competent, but it appears command is rather falling apart as each squads provide its own individual problem. What do you do?

2. Your operation comes to a failure, you've lost a good half of your troops, then you hear the words on comms, "Meeting in R&R, I've got something to tell you.", in little time you see marines pouring outside your door, they appear to be armed and have their guns out, you finally come to the realization, they want to mutiny. Your men demand for you to cease control of the ship and surrender to them. What do you do?

3. SO Austin Roe is drunk on the job, granted he's a brilliant SO, granted it's very hard for him to communicate because he's intoxicated, how do you approach this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1: Proceed with recall order. If not within timespan of 1 minute (Or does showing works of getting back to LZ), Proceed to deploy MPs. aswell request SOs provide constant survelliance on the offender if possible when the XO is within their squad's helmet visual.

But to be frank, i wouldn't really care. I would review to whether his existence in the field is assisting the situation or not.
    Aswell if i really needs him in CiC, to me. A XO deployed with my gear is fine, i don't care. I'm the captain, i rather stay on my ship, After all i'm the mastermind, the leader. So If hes working hard, surviving and fighting along with the ungas boys. I would be happy, Like they always say: A good general is the one who fights with his men even in the toughest time. It would shows that even Command fights with them. Sometime.
    So in the end, what i cares the most is that: Is he well? Is his existence in the field makes the men fighting harder, prouder? Is he commanding in the field with his full skills as he proudly wears the badge of the XO? To me, like in my Army unit in real life, the CO is the leader, but the XO is the man that take cares of us. Fight with us, die with us and lives with us. Hes the spokesman of the CO's wills, the bleeding heart of the unit. Who will scarifice leading us to glory or death.

2: A good leader would faces it head on. Without using force of the MPs, he made the mistake. He need to face it, face it without fear.

If i made such mistake, i would face my men. I don't need protection nor MPs. I will face them and i will say: I'm sorry, i'm sorry for the failure. But i expect you all to understand, thats if we fight eachothers now. Thats what the enemies wanted. Point your guns at those who made you suffer, killed your friends. Not at me. Cause i'm for every one of you falls to the ground. Abit of me dies too. You are all my brothers and sisters. Shoot me if you will, I made a mistake and i will face it, Either in death or glory.

3: As i have been intoxicated as SO before ingame. To communicate with such intoxicated, just tell the man to stop responding and follow my signals. Maybe because i usually get too friendly or too close to my SOs as XO ingame so they understand my plans and requests.

A intoxicated officer doesn't mean he can't understand me.
    He can, he just can't respond. Just make it a simple order. I trust all my SOs with full potential that they will not fails me. Just like how they trust me.
    Last edited by Col.Rice; 10-12-2019 at 07:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I editted the first question abit too much so i decided to write a new one thats add up to your first question:
    I'm a soldier in a modest army somewhere in Southeast Asia.
    My Platoon Sergeant is a modest man, he wears a modest uniform like us, he carries the same backpack, the same rifle, the same helmet and the same motivation. He fight with us and motivate us to fight on.

Our Battalion XO are also a modest man, he marches with us. Sing with us. Ride with us and cares for us. He shed tears when we dies. And he salute to our casket as we are being sent home. He watches the new enlisted joins and the veterans go. But truely, If those men are like that.

Our captain are the same. We may never see him nor talks to him. But we knows that when one of us dies, abit of him dies too. He cares for us and he will retreat against order from command if he sees that we can't win. He scarifice alot for us so thats why we can stand in the frontline proudly without caring about whats going on behind.

The Neverplayer Commodore
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen you break the chain of command countless times. Still I believe you know how to lead, you just have to learn when to lead and when to follow orders. I will stay neutral until I see your progress since I only remember seing you play Command roles from a few months ago.
    Captain Morgan Young

Charlie Squad Medic main and the worst nade Thrower you Will ever see.