Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hoboe7 - Commander Application

Commander Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    Hoboe777

Player Name You Use Most?
    Nina Wahad

Make a list of links to all of your applications and (job)ban appeals, including whitelist and staff apps, within the last year. Also, provide "Ban reason; Verdict" beside each (job)ban link
    (The appeals were on the old forums so I cannot find the links for them, naturally, I will answer you if you wish to inquire) | "Metacomming; Perm" I made two appeals and the second one was accepted. This was half a year ago more or less. I cannot say for sure.

Have you received any ban within the last month? How long was it and what for?
    Just so I am completely transparent and honest in this application. I did receive a minor 1 day ban for Metacomming on the SS13 World Server recently. If that causes concern I will try to clear things up with you in the replies. (My friend is still IP banned from CM)

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

How do you view the tool of Battlefield Execution to be used? What circumstances do you think it would be necessary to BE a member of the crew? Where do you think the Battlefield Execution Mechanic Differs from regular Execution and why?
    This is a rather tough subject for me. I see the power of BE as one of the most legitimate authority force/power present in the setting of the game. So as such, the person wielding that power should be trying to promote roleplay and increase enjoyment for everyone. I believe that BE is NEVER "necessary" (Because if it was a situation in which it would be, the person causing a problem would be griefing and it would be an admin issue haha) but is available as option to enhance roleplay by whatever our brains can think of.

I don't believe that BE and regular execution are that different, sure they have their own restrictions, ideal spirit/intent , and are basically different things but at the end of the day you are still removing a player from the round because they did something bad and/or for roleplay.

How will your Commanding Officer run his/her ship? Provide a detailed explanation on how he would handle situations that might commonly occur such as, a insubordinate engineering staff, a Staff Officer who cannot do anything right, an Executive Officer wh
    I will try to run the ship and operations in an unorthodox way, and try to change the status quo of things, nothing drastic but no promises, yeah? Also most situations (shipside at least) can be solved by the on board MP by request, if the MP are incompetent I can deputize some SOs, and if that doesn't work and I have the time, I will apply NJPs such as teaching the perpetrators how to address officers in proper language and keeping them there until they get it right. (The staff officer situation depends on the context, so solutions I would use can range from teaching the SO to BEing him/her.

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    To command combat personnel based on gathered intelligence to achieve a goal/objective/mission ordered from High Command.

To manage and/or coordinate the most pressing issues during operations and perform responsibilities required of other staff if NEEDED.

As a player what do you think could be added for Commanding Officer to benefit the role?
    I wish that Commanders can personally ENFORCE marine law like MPs or the CMP. It should be frowned upon doing this and avoided if possible, but let them at least have the option to personally arrest someone without relying on the MP or the threat of battlefield execution.

What do you think you could contribute by being whitelisted?
    I believe I can achieve a great deal of change by being on the top, something that gets rid of the mundane repetitive rounds we get again and again. This is all hopeful rhetoric but I wouldn't have wrote this application if I didn't believe that yeah?

Choose one of the following story topics to write about
    Born from two Baltic parents, one of which was an American Citizen, Nina Wahad had an unnoteworthy childhood preferring rugby and smoking over academic excellence. After highschool, she was accepted into a reserve officer training corps in the regional Military College. She was commissioned into the USMC two months after her graduation. Nina was completely inept in political maneuvering inside the USMC and was haughty and cutting in nature. Because of this, after crossing one of her superior, they thought she was better suited as a Fringe Patrol Transport Commander of conscripts rather than a cushy comfortable Sol Force Station 1st Lieutenant. Whatever, a promotion is a promotion.
    Last edited by Hoboe7; 01-06-2019 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Grammatical Mistakes. I had to redo everything because it logged me out mid application and deleted everything.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay a few things I want to talk about, We are the Commanding Officer. Enforcing marine law isn't something we do, we have an entire department dedicated to it. We can brig people and we already have the final say on marine law. Your duty is to your operation first. You should delegate arrests to the MP's.

The story is a bit small but it doesn't tell me much about your Character.

I've seen you in the Command roles but mostly the MP side of stuff. I'm going to need to see you in the role before I make a decision.

Neutral for now.

(edit)

Rarely seen you in a Command Role.

Last edited by Bancrose; 01-15-2019 at 11:46 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Stated by Bancrose, "We are the Commanding Officer. Enforcing marine law isn't something we do, we have an entire department dedicated to it. We can brig people and we already have the final say on marine law. Your duty is to your operation first." That's a pretty good way to sum it up.

Answers were subpar at best in my opinion and sound to me as if you want to play the role of CO as CMP+. Wanting to uphold Marine Law is fine, and you should do what you can to abide by it as CO. We gave the role a bigger say in how Marine Law is upheld and functions, to be fair. However you have staff under your control that are dedicated to maintaining Marine Law and thus you yourself should only deal with issues regarding Marine Law when they begin to interfere with the Operation, as your primary objective as CO should be to do everything you can to have the Operation go as smoothly as it can under your command.

Story was rather short, and while it doesn't need to be an Essay, in making it short, it shows less effort put forth in most cases, and means you have to really work had in making every word count to show off how you will play your character. From your story, I learned a little bit about their backstory, and that they weren't very enthused in receiving a promotion to Commanding Officer. Overall, it sounds as if your character could care less about their position, which at least in my opinion is pretty unbecoming of someone in the role. That could pass for other roles of less importance, but as CO, not so much.

Maybe I'm just being overcritical however. If I can see you in a few Command roles other then CMP here soon, depending on how you perform I may change my mind. However as it stands, I'm neutral leaning -1.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much of the above points are how i feel as well, i think you need to participate more in command roles and show us how your character plays in command roles.

Neutral

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going with -1 don't believe much effort was put into this application.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Separation of CO and MP is an important part of CM, also I think you could have put in a bit more effort. Sorry chief but it will have to be a -1 from me for now.

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    low quality player low quality application -1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry but as everyone said, put more effort into it, your story isn't that great, same for the app. I'd recommend checking our accepted apps. -1
    Marine: Mel Kim
    Captain: Mel Kim
    Synth: Yuki
    Mentor: 12/13/2018 - 02/07/2019 -> TrialMod: 02/07/2019 - 02/22/2019-> Moderator: 02/22/2019 - 01/xx/2020

Ex-term 3 synthetic councillor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frans_Feiffer View Post
    As Stated by Bancrose, "We are the Commanding Officer. Enforcing marine law isn't something we do, we have an entire department dedicated to it. We can brig people and we already have the final say on marine law. Your duty is to your operation first." That's a pretty good way to sum it up.

Answers were subpar at best in my opinion and sound to me as if you want to play the role of CO as CMP+. Wanting to uphold Marine Law is fine, and you should do what you can to abide by it as CO. We gave the role a bigger say in how Marine Law is upheld and functions, to be fair. However you have staff under your control that are dedicated to maintaining Marine Law and thus you yourself should only deal with issues regarding Marine Law when they begin to interfere with the Operation, as your primary objective as CO should be to do everything you can to have the Operation go as smoothly as it can under your command.
    I did write that MP should be requested to deal with shipside situations such as unruly crew or officers. And that I would take action if the MP fail to handle it. The CO enforcing marine law thing was just a suggestion to be an open option that is available if MP aren't available and a BE would be considered too drastic. I did not intent on suggesting that idea for the CO to run around busting people, that is why I wrote how it should be avoided and frowned upon. And by "enforce" I just mean detaining someone for breaking the marine law nothing more.

The Helllbanian CO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don�t really think you know the meaning of unorthodox. In any case the BE is a right that is to be used, not necessarily avoided. Have some confidence on that. Most of your application is focused on how to deal with shipside issues and marine law enforcement which are things mostly up to the MPs.

I will tell you one thing though. As the Commanding Officer, you have a higher calling. And that is focusing on the operation and managing to make in sucessful and of course make the round enjoyable.

This application is fundamentally flawed. Perhaps you need some more experience or especially some new insight on the CO role itself.

Good luck in the future. -1