User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hoboe7 - Commander Application

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I didn't do too much with the dossier section, It was difficult for me to create a background that's lore friendly, original, and something I can actually be proud of (something that isn't cringe when I think about this in the future). I literally had like writers block for an hour thinking about what to write. So I looked up the most realistic road of joining the real United States Marine Corps as an Officer at a young age, added to that.

Also thank you for taking the time to read my replies, I do wish for constructive criticism on what you think should have been improved on my Application besides the last part about character. I also realize some of my answers could vague because I am not the best at communicating my thoughts (people say I talk like Kanye sometimes).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbs View Post
    I don�t really think you know the meaning of unorthodox. In any case the BE is a right that is to be used, not necessarily avoided. Have some confidence on that. Most of your application is focused on how to deal with shipside issues and marine law enforcement which are things mostly up to the MPs.

I will tell you one thing though. As the Commanding Officer, you have a higher calling. And that is focusing on the operation and managing to make in sucessful and of course make the round enjoyable.
    I didn't say that BE shouldn't be used I said it was NEVER necessary to use BE because of better alternatives, and SHOULD MAKE THE ROUND ENJOYABLE. And I wrote that what I think what a Commander should do is to command combat personnel and manage urgent issues which is focusing on the operation is it not? And by unorthodox I mean starting the operation in ways that aren't build fob and scout aka "not ordinary".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must be a really shitty writer because I am too stupid to see where you guys are inferring these ideas. I do agree on how I should put more time into creating a better dossier and be more active as an officer. One of the reasons I made this application was because unwhitelisted commanding don't have very legitimate authority so getting marines to do something in critical moments is a pain in the ass, so I tend to avoid playing SOs or XOs because not getting responses, managing minor logistics, and redirecting information gets really dull and is unrewarding.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoboe7 View Post
    One of the reasons I made this application was because unwhitelisted commanding don't have very legitimate authority so getting marines to do something in critical moments is a pain in the ass, so I tend to avoid playing SOs or XOs because not getting responses, managing minor logistics, and redirecting information gets really dull and is unrewarding.
    This right here? This is a big part of what being a captain (or XO with no captain) is about. You're the only one guaranteed to have the full picture so redirecting information is explicitly your job. You're unlikely to have a 100% staffed crew with all essential roles so you need to be able to fill-in and do whatever menial things they're supposed to be doing. In lowpop, it's possible-to-probable that you'll be the only person in the CIC and also have to do everything engineering-related and also run the req lines. I seem to find myself super frustrated by MPs constantly asking me what they want me to do, so I can't imagine any CO who focused on administering marine law would be able to pay attention to the operation at all.

Neutral. I haven't interacted with you enough to know how well you RP, nor have I seen you in command roles frequently.
    Audrey Aulin, found (drinking tea) in various roles

Evelyn, the ever-helpful synth

Member of the CO Council. Feel free to PM me here or on the Discord @Retrokinesis#8332 with any CO-related matters.

Former Moderator, Mapper, Official Space Carp Developer, and Lead Burrower Apologist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retrokinesis View Post
    This right here? This is a big part of what being a captain (or XO with no captain) is about. You're the only one guaranteed to have the full picture so redirecting information is explicitly your job. You're unlikely to have a 100% staffed crew with all essential roles so you need to be able to fill-in and do whatever menial things they're supposed to be doing. In lowpop, it's possible-to-probable that you'll be the only person in the CIC and also have to do everything engineering-related and also run the req lines. I seem to find myself super frustrated by MPs constantly asking me what they want me to do, so I can't imagine any CO who focused on administering marine law would be able to pay attention to the operation at all.
    Yes I understand this. I said in my "What do you think a Commander does?" question that they should do the responsibilities of other staff if needed. I know that you have to direct Intel a lot among the squads during the operation being a CO because in my CIC experience, marines are 75% more likely to comply with an order if you supply them with relevent information along with the order. I'm only saying that being an XO or SO is exhaustingly unrewarding compaired to killing aliens yourself or as another role which isn't stuck in CIC the entire round being the Commander's lackey missing out on the shipside antics which is also why I prefer playing roles such as doctor or MPs rather than pilots and CIC personnel. Which, is also why I wish to be more engaging as an CO and taking advantage of stuff such as deputizing staff officers. But, I do still try my best when I play CIC personnel but it's just not that enjoyable after the marines deploy and stop bantering or flirting with me and it turns to telling marines to stop running off and directing the squad to the locations of their corpse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoboe7 View Post
    I must be a really shitty writer because I am too stupid to see where you guys are inferring these ideas. I do agree on how I should put more time into creating a better dossier and be more active as an officer. One of the reasons I made this application was because unwhitelisted commanding don't have very legitimate authority so getting marines to do something in critical moments is a pain in the ass, so I tend to avoid playing SOs or XOs because not getting responses, managing minor logistics, and redirecting information gets really dull and is unrewarding.
    This is concerning to me. Writing doesn't have to be a big deal IMO, but I do want to get an impression of who your character is on your application. I don't get much of an impression from your responses on your app - I don't really know what changes and play style you'd be bringing to each round as a CO. Frankly, your answers implied that you'd rather be an extra powerful CMP than a CO.

I want to see you more in CIC. I don't know if I ever have seen you in CIC, and I'd rather see how you handle leadership there first before just giving it to you as CO. Good XO's and SO's can lead marines well, so I disagree with your answer here.

Being CO doesn't alleviate the need for you to handle minor logistics, information, and manage unresponsive squads. I don't think you're ready for CO if you don't play or even enjoy the other CIC roles.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    neutral

literally never seen you in a CIC role, who are you?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know your name, but I haven't seen you in a SO/XO role
    Plus with other feedback, I'll say good luck next time. I suggest you XO/SO a lot more in the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing said here that isn't really already said.

I suggest you go XO more to get comfortable with heavy leadership. So is good... but not fully representative of the intensity a XO may have to deal with.
    I know you as a CMP, but that's not anywhere close to the same level of leadership needed. Logistics, Tactics, Shipside Issues, etcetra...

You definitely have potential, but need some more experience. Good luck.

Last edited by Vispainius; 01-13-2019 at 09:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You didn't really expand upon who you were going to play aside from wanting to step into law enforcement. I feel like you could've elaborated far more on the subject of what you'd do with your engineering department, lieutenant, and your XO than you did. Each situation has a different response, and you just gave a general, "Call the MPs," instead of what for, and why instead of trying to defuse the situation yourself through comms.

If you plan on applying in the future, I recommend flushing out your character's backstory a tad more and then elaborating on the few situations you were provided with more than you had. -1