User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you allow MPs to get guns?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 35.09%
  • Yes, but only smartpistols

13 22.81%
  • No

24 42.11%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fellow CT/RO mains, do you allow MPs to get weapons from Requisitions?

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttly View Post
    I don't really give a damn whether or not the MPs have M41s or not, the moment they start shooting it at people instead of using tazers it's already an OOC issue with actual impact and should be ahelped as staff would say it, they're also not supposed to carry one but just carrying it doesn't really change anything.
    Irrelevant to the discussion

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, screw the MPs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    In this case why MP's can disregard PFC's orders to leave the Prep room? Since they are in different departments? Why SO's valid orders can't be disregarded by MP's since they are in different departments? It's all pretty BS, rank works overall, MP can order everything to lower ranks, higher and equal to MP can override such orders.
    Otherwise rank becomes pointless.
    I've always kind of hated the wrongfully perpetuated concept that bigger rank can order smaller rank to do X regardless of what bigger rank or smaller rank are or what they actually do in their respective jobs. It doesn't really make sense because you shouldn't look at rank as a measure of what you're allowed to do but rather as a measure of what you can be trusted with. Not to mention there's a large distinction between enlisted and officers in both how they're perceived by each other and how they're expected to interact professionally and casually.

If I were to take a shot at how an MP demanding attachies by pulling rank would go in real life it'd probably go something like this.

MP Snuffy: "Sergeant Pollard, I need a HPR kit."
    CT Pollard: "I can't do that, Snuffy."
    MP Snuffy: "Sergeant Pollard, as a higher ranking Staff Sergeant I am ordering you to give me an HPR kit."
    CT Pollard: "You'll have to ask your supervisor to speak to my supervisor, Lieutenant Commander Jones."
    Closes shutters.

When you're in the military you know who you're supposed to answer to. If anyone says otherwise, you direct them to whoever is in charge of you and wait for them to tell you what to do.
    The only time that can ever change or bring doubt into your mind is if you're an enlisted personnel and an officer approaches you with a request. Unless that request goes directly against what your superior officer told you to do or you know they aren't going to approve of it, generally you're expected to do it and the officer will be hit with the consequences if there are any.

But this is just a video game after all, so do what makes you happy.
    Last edited by Corocan; 10-21-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Ceyella
    MPs have to give me thier hats in fair trade. then i take note of which ones just do it and go get the spare hats, and which ones whine and bitch cause thier bald

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Screw the Military Police. LOL!

Community Mentor
    11-14-2019

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ceyella View Post
    mps have to give me thier hats in fair trade. Then i take note of which ones just do it and go get the spare hats, and which ones whine and bitch cause thier bald
    fucking deal, i hate the mp berets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The term everyone is looking for is "Positional Authority", and it's what lets a PFC tell a 4 star general to "fuck off" if he's the gate guard and the 4 star general doesn't have his ID, or doesn't have the tags on his car, etc. etc.

Another instance would be medical - an E4 medic give an order to an O3, if that order is medical related and there is no other medical staff of higher rank (pretty much a doctor) nearby. For me this happened when I was in the army. The temperature outside was 104 degrees in Texas, and I told the men that were breaking down tents to deblouse, which is to take off their heavy top of their uniform and work in their under shirts. They said they had already asked the captain (O3 in the Army) and he said no. I ordered them to deblouse, and then walked over to the captain and explained that I'm making the call. He didn't argue, and debloused. I get told "no" all the time when I say put your sunscreen on, change your socks, drink your water, and it's a losing battle every time (for them).

Cargo/Supply is one of the BIGGEST examples, and I feel like it should be reflected here in CM as well. Cargo/Supply is one of the more restricted areas and jobs and has a TON of accountability. If the REQ SSGT tells the captain to get out, the captain gets the fuck out. It's like at a big tech company the Datacenter technician can deny access to the CEO because of positional authority.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, why not? If they start shooting up marines with guns, that's on them! Plus a sidearm incase a nasty Lurker/Runner/Larva gets aboard is pretty handy for the MPs, for the ship's security, and for my own personal safety!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heretic87 View Post
    The term everyone is looking for is "Positional Authority", and it's what lets a PFC tell a 4 star general to "fuck off" if he's the gate guard and the 4 star general doesn't have his ID, or doesn't have the tags on his car, etc. etc.

Another instance would be medical - an E4 medic give an order to an O3, if that order is medical related and there is no other medical staff of higher rank (pretty much a doctor) nearby. For me this happened when I was in the army. The temperature outside was 104 degrees in Texas, and I told the men that were breaking down tents to deblouse, which is to take off their heavy top of their uniform and work in their under shirts. They said they had already asked the captain (O3 in the Army) and he said no. I ordered them to deblouse, and then walked over to the captain and explained that I'm making the call. He didn't argue, and debloused. I get told "no" all the time when I say put your sunscreen on, change your socks, drink your water, and it's a losing battle every time (for them).

Cargo/Supply is one of the BIGGEST examples, and I feel like it should be reflected here in CM as well. Cargo/Supply is one of the more restricted areas and jobs and has a TON of accountability. If the REQ SSGT tells the captain to get out, the captain gets the fuck out. It's like at a big tech company the Datacenter technician can deny access to the CEO because of positional authority.
    This is a quality post, but at the moment I'm not sure positional authority is explained well in ML. We need someone to work on this, I guess?

Also, as per SOP MPs are allowed to carry sidearms on green alert, but SOP does not tell you explicitly WHERE are MPs supposed to get their sidearms. Are they even supposed to procure them, or they COULD carry one on green if CMP issues them?

I just pick up a sidearm from squad prep or from the ground and feel like a LRP douchebag because of this.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Positional authority isn't used in marine law, as it is (or even the new edition)

CTs, within marine law can refuse to hand anyone below or equal to their rank equipment.

However if they're ordered to hand it over, they must.

Positional authority is unlikely to be expanded too much because staff are very cautious about turning it in to an unrealistic tome which players must abide by.

It's why old marine law was very loose and flexiable, and is why our server ruled were condensed. At the end of the day. Its a video game.
    <::The Provost is always watching.::>

Spoiler Spoiler: