Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: kooarbiter - Commander Application

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FGRSentinel View Post
    Right, so, the support on this is somewhat mixed, so I'll ask you a few questions before I make my decision.

1. Under what circumstances do you feel a BE is acceptable and under what circumstances do you think you'd likely get reported for a BE?

2. How would you handle the following disputes/incidents (beyond the obvious ones where an ahelp would be needed, of course):

Req, Medical, and the FOB squad are arguing over limited supply points. Medical needs more metal for to make replacement limbs and Phoron for medicine due to a careless mistake by a doctor. The FOB squad desperately needs metal and plasteel for cades. What do you do to deal with this situation and what do you have Req prioritize?

An MP calls for you on comms and reports they just arrested a PO for attacking a MT. The PO claims that the hangar Power Loaders are missing and the doctors told them an MT took one down the hallway past medical, so they went to confront the only MT on duty. The MT insists they didn't take the power loaders. How do you handle this situation?

The XO/CMP calls you down to the brig. When you arrive, they explain that they found the CL in your office and had them arrested for trespassing on the suspicion that he was trying to steal something from your quarters. The CL, however, insists that an SO asked them to talk in your office before trapping them inside. What steps do you feel would be necessary to determine if the CL is telling the truth or lying?
    Sorry about the wait, I've been a bit preoccupied the last couple of weeks and replies haven't been giving notifications

1. When a player loyal to the USCM (marine, civvie, friendly survivor, etc) bent on disrupting the round or usurping the legitimate command structure cannot be subdued with non lethal force, I think I'd most likely get reported for a BE during a non emergency when there are no MPs or staff officers to deputize, single handedly enforcing the law is difficult (I've done it multiple times across MP CMP and SO) and expecting a CO to reasonably lead the ground and deal with LRP bullshit may lead someone to think I made a bad call in a stressful situation, hence the report.

a. I would likely prioritize the fob squad, if they are in desperate need for metal and cades, no amount of replacement limbs and medicine would save the operation, and if a marine missing limbs is in medbay custody, it is a non priority, as long as there isn't a security risk on the ship, which the MPs can deal with anyways.

b. I would reprimand the PO for taking the law into their own hands violently, and tell the MPs to investigate if the MT in question had taken the powerloader. I wouldn't charge the MT with theft if they had, as it's perfectly reasonable for an mt to take the powerloader if they have a reason to (fixing up the drop ships, loading OB, transporting req supplies, or just getting familiarized with it) but if the CE or PO had ordered them to not take it previously, that would justify an insub charge.

c. I would have the CMP issue a full forensic search of my office, I would personally talk to the staff officer in question, I would tell the CL that they are not allowed in my office without my permission, SO or not. If it was found that the SO did do this (or they admitted to it) I would charge them with illegal confinement, minimum time 30 minutes, if they had intentionally done it to get the CL arrested, or they had caused problems already in the round, or had commited any other crimes during this incident, I would consider giving them the maximum time of permabrig. I would thank the XO for bringing this issue to my attention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And if CL was lying?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScreamingIdiot View Post
    Your BE response puts me off for a few reasons:

• You describe mutinying and other forms of brigading as actions worthy of a BE, despite such offences being delineated within Marine Law.
    • You also describe how BEs should be used when there is "clear evidence of malicious intent" despite the fact that, again, intentional harm of USCM persons or property are also delineated as crimes within Marine Law with clear punishments and their respective procedures.
    • You appear to be utilizing second-hand information about past BEs you have witnessed or heard about as a bible for when BEs should be used, as opposed to understanding why they exist in the first place and forming your own opinion and policy upon them.
    • Finally, you claim you will only use BEs in a "timely and appropriate manner," ignoring the fact that standard executions exist for this very reason.

Based upon the points you've made, I can't in good faith expect you to responsibly utilize BEs. Your response indicates a willingness to use this very specific tool for your own ends as opposed to serving the interests of the whole playerbase during any round.

I cannot in good faith accept any app that does not display a clear understanding of what BEs are and why they are used.

Try again in a month, and consult with the council and other veteran players about BEs and other pointers for your app.
    Despite being somewhat meme-y, kooarbiter’s response actually makes sense. If your requirement for a BE is that it is *not* specifically addressed in Marine Law then I would love to see examples from you of what a BE would look like. Sedition and Desertion in particular are capital offenses, particularly egregious in that they can disrupt the entire command structure and round as a whole. A BE in that sense would, in my opinion, be validated.

In fact, Marine Law specifically states that:

The Commanding Officer may perform Battlefield Executions. This means they may personally execute anyone under their authority on the ship or Area of Operations without warning or procedure, provided their words or actions fulfill one of the following conditions:

Threat to your command. Credibly attempting to or threatening to undermine your command or attempting to remove your command through illegal means.
    +1 to kooarbiter for a solid grasp of marine law and command structure.

Whitelisted Captain FGRSentinel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While the responses to the situations in the second question I gave were good, the response to the first one has me a bit uneasy. As ScreamingIdiot said, you can't just BE someone without serious thought and expect them to not report you for it. I will admit that you at least acknowledge that there's a possibility that you could mess up with the judgement and your other answers were, as I said, between good and excellent overall, so I'll let a few more Councilors speak up before I make my judgement either way.
    Retired CO Councilor (Winter 2019-Spring 2020, Winter 2020-Spring 2021)

Goddard Pearsall, the Pilot that (almost) always has Souto

Unofficial source of help for new/inexperienced POs. Message me here or on Discord if you'd like advise on anything.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CryoDrake View Post
    And if CL was lying?
    if it was found that the CL was lying, then have them brigged for tresspass. Although the charge of prevarication doesn't apply, and I obviously wouldn't apply it, I think prevarication should ideally include knowingly and intentionally framing someone for a crime/lying that they had done something criminal for a crime they hadn't commited, as it is within the spirit of this law.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright this has been up for about two months, Im gonna resolve it tonight.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, I do want to apologize for the significant delay on the council's part in getting to your app. The reason for this, however, is largely due to a lack of us seeing you play Command (XO especially), and the community feedback is so mixed that we can't really get an adequate idea of who you are and how good of a fit you'd be. And seeing as you've largely slowed down in playing, it left us in a position where there really isn't much to go off.

So I will say this; aside from your actual skill in playing Command, you are a pretty long-time, qualified player who has made it a point to contribute to the community. And while I have not personally seen you XO, I have seen you SO - I would say your performance was adequate. Your app is more-or-less standard. There's not much I would say is 'great' about it, and there's not much I would consider a red flag in it either.

So on the basis of everything in front of me, I'm going to give you a +1. And I want to be clear that it is really on the fence, but this whitelist tends to be generous in handing out the mantle to others, and I'm not gonna stray away from that this time. But what it is going to require from you is to be sure that you understand Marine Law, CO WL guidelines, and have a practical understanding of what is/isn't acceptable of members of the whitelist. Because once you're in the chair, there's no practice runs or grace periods. You're going to need to know exactly what you should be doing, when to do it, and how you should be doing it.

But with that, I'm going to leave this to the rest of the council members to give their verdict, and then we'll go from there.
    Trial Moderator: 4/18/19 - 5/2/19 / Moderator: 5/3/19 - 10/1/19 / Senior Moderator: 10/2/19 - 12/26/19 / Trial Admin: 12/27/19 - 1/11/20 / Mod Manager: 1/12/20 - 4/18/20

Cerwick/Balakura/etc
    Discord: noah#7322

Former staff member and long-time CO Council member, now I just wave my boomer cane at people when I want something to complain about.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going out on a limb here, I don't think you are personally ready for CO. I've observed a couple rounds with you as XO now and I have not been impressed, no hard feelings however.

Leaving a longer response about some things later tonight.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apologies for the late response.

Anyway, furthering the reasoning behind my vote, starting off by what I observed.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________

You seemed to have a lack of understanding in the basics of overwatch itself and even then, you freaked a little bit when you weren’t able to understand what was wrong and to me, this could present a problem in itself as a CO later on.

This started from a marine showing up as “dead” around or before deployment in which they actually just cyrod and overwatch shows them as dead once they are moved into hypersleep storage.

Another thing I noticed, a while back was you blaming the lack of MTs for not being able to make sure the generators were setup. As CO/aCO one of your main priorities is making sure all the departments are run smoothly and if a department is not running smoothly, you ensure it is by delegating or micromanaging it yourself.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________

A tool to be used when low RP marines are trying to meme the operation or when regular marines, usually delta, tries to usurp your direct authority. I think it should be used when there is clear evidence of malicious intent in regards to sedition/assault/murder/etc. and you can perform it in a timely and appropriate manner. It is different because only a white listed CO can do it, you must announce the details of it when available, and it can be done in emergencies or when someone is in custody during severe emergencies.
    As Scidiot said, this is a very weak answer, while it is a low RP tool in my opinion, it’s just not for low RP situations such as some guy disarm spamming you in briefing after you tell them to stop. There are times where you will run in RP situations such as a researcher growing xenos after being told not to. Not going into any further detail here, as Scidiot has left their premise behind on it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With everything said above, I'm gonna have to leave a -1 on this one.

I've seen you in game on numerous occasions, and while I do believe you have a solid grasp on ML, which is a plus, I'm not sure exactly sure about how you'd do in leadership positions. I don't think you're bad in leadership, nor do I believe that you'd be a terrible CO. However for the moment I believe you're not quite there. You show potential, but from what I've seen up until this point, I believe you need a little more time in Command positions to really show whether or not you have the stuff.

The app as well is a bit lackluster imo, at least in regards to story and your answer to the BE question.

Swagbag and scidiot said it better then I could, but I do agree with them. Give it another month and try again with a polished up app and I'm sure you'll do fine then. For the meantime though, I'll be leaving a -1.

Your 'Friendly' Neighborhood Captain, Frans Feiffer. Austrian Kommodore vith zie vorst accent, survivor of Space Vietnam, and Loving Caretaker of the Ungas Aboard the USS Almayer.
    Pred App that is now null lol
    Synthetic model Darwin

Spoiler Spoiler: