Byond ID?
    SirMandrake

CM Character?
    Goosen Dagen

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    USEC EST (-5 GMT)

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?
    15-20, sometimes more

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    No

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    Not really

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    No

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    No

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    No

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    Absolutely, I am already fairly active in the community and would like to do more to help

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    Luckily the shooter is already detained, so the matter can be handled IC, while you check more on the situation.

If the shooter's note history is bad as far as griefing, proceed with an appropriate ban. Thankfully, there are not many people that do this from what I've seen. Honestly, a bad nade in req line is more likely. HELL! Random firing happens more during first drop on the Alamo/Normandy. This question should be about that scenario! I'll answer that instead.

More frequently than the actual question, a brawl breaks out on the first drop. If marines are getting punched while down after frequent brawling, several people are yelling to stop the fighting, threats of death are said, etc.; intervene with a moderator announcement to stop. If a few punches slip on the dropship, let it slide. However! A marine that fires a gun and shoots at other marines on the dropship is breaking rules. It's legit cowardly to shoot people on the dropship (fish in a barrel) and should be punished as such. I'm sure there are weird exceptions to this, but I'm just speaking generally. I would note/ban that player.

ANYWAYS!

Otherwise, message the shooter in the original scenario if they are new/have few notes, and let them know that sort of behavior is not tolerated. Discuss any points of argument or clarification.

Deal with the wounded depending on the situation. Let MPs deal with the matter after, and move on.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    As a marine main, I instantly question if there was any actual violation, because I know how often we provoke predators into action.

Start with questioning the marine ahelping. Discuss what happened to determine what (if anything) was broken with the honor code.

If nothing seems wrong, inform the marine of the same. if they push back, advise them to make a report if they still feel dissatisfied with my decision. If the code was broken, check with the predator in question for evidence, but still advise the marine to make a player report if they wish. Inform the council of the honor code infraction.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    Oh my favorite! I love guiding new people, and would help them get accustomed to either SS13 or CM depending on their competency. It's fairly easy and I've done it several times. Not sure what to elaborate on really because as anyone who is a mentor or otherwise has helped someone in CM, they all come at different competencies.

If another player starts helping, let them continue so I can focus on other matters.

Also, as much as I hate saying this in an application, refer them to the wiki. It's a generic response, but in this situation at least passing the wiki on to the person is helpful.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    If it's just that through ahelps, I'm not gonna ban/note the player or anything. Honestly, I would request their discord name, so we could talk outside of CM and just talk it out. I see few chances of this actually occurring to the point of being an issue.

I'd rather not deal with a senior staff members or admins if it's not a game breaking issue or serious problem otherwise. Cuz why bug them? Maybe some actual scenarios from current mods would help enlighten me if I am missing the issue!

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    Contact the player named John Doe and inform them of rule 12 regarding names. Ask them to change their name next round. If they argue and/or do not change their name, give them a note.

Easy Peasy

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    This is mostly an IC issue IMO, since we have MPs to handle breaches of SOP for uniforms.

Is the MT a threat? Then you are dealing with a whole other issue, so treat them the same as the marine firing into friendlies like the answer above.

Honestly, if the MT is still doing their job, I don't really think I would care OOC.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    Double check the evidence ASAP!

Stories can change rapidly, and you need to focus on facts here. You need absolute proof before making an action, otherwise you should only suggest a player report from the marine if they feel it is necessary.

If the survivor was very clearly up to shenanigans, have a talk with them about RP expectations. Note them depending on maliciousness and/or note history.

If the survivor very clearly did everything IC ,tell the marine the same.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    So I had to double check because my brain farted, but I was right that the max timer for theft/trespassing is 30 minutes. Absolutely absurd.....

Anyways, check into the validity of the occurrence. If it's as the marines says, have the MP lessen the sentence. If the marine did other crimes worthy of perma, allow the sentence to continue.

I really just got to add that MPs are terrible these days (mostly), and tunnel vision like hell when it comes to scuffles. Maybe they have always been like that, but I would have my eyes on them!

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    Do mods have access to Queen Mother and High Command announcements? If so, that.

Also, talk with the queen or eldest alien to push for the glory of the hive. Then rally the commander or next ranking officer to push for the honor of the fallen. Done deal.

This question is silly, it's legit a light push that is required to solve this problem.

Enlighten me otherwise!

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    Ahelp since I am involved, but ask them IC why they are doing it. I've legit never seen this at all, the ODs are accidentals from baldies.

So in those cases, I already educate IC and would do nothing different.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    This technically isn't EORG, so it's IC, and inform the CLF of the same. Done deal!

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    Any of these issues by themselves in small quantities is fine IMO. Together, I would reach out to the person to stop. If they persisted with the behavior and were disrupting the round, I would inform them they are being noted for roundstart shenanigans.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    Like I said before, quickly check for evidence!

If accurate, this is obvious improper escalation, and the murderer should be told as such. Depending on note history, potentially ban for griefing, or add a note for improper escalation.

If less severe as made out to be, no action required.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    Quickly find the leader of the mutiny (95% of the time there is one) and advise them of the rules regarding mutiny, along with the fellow mutineers.

Make an OOC announcement that there is no official mutiny without proper protocol, and clarify the rules of the mutiny.

Sleep the area marines were rallying if they are ignoring the OOC message.

I would also watch once guidelines were given to ensure they were followed, and note anyone that didn't follow protocol.

I would not deter them from proceeding if they had everything required to proceed as far as guidelines for proper mutiny.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    Unless this is some circumstance I've never seen in game, it's IC. I guess mods might get that person that gets offended and mentions it, but if the comment isn't overtly hateful, I maintain it's IC per CM rules.

To be clear, my distinction on this is how hateful the comment is. I understand this is dicey and difficult for some, so if you want clarification let me know!

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    Track the ckey and apply a ban. Multiple marines FF kills are not tolerable, especially when vulnerable at briefing.

Check with the admins about aheals if possible.

Another easy un!

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    Three things are important in this scenario: Location, location, location.

If the xeno bursts near marines and dies, shit happens.

If the larva bursts sorta close to marines, tries to run/hide, and dies. Welp. They tried. Unless they gave no effort and just ran to marines, not an issue.

If this is a larva bursting and traveling away from their hive for several seconds to die to marines, we have a problem. Combat larva are terrible for the hive/game, and punishments should be provided accordingly.

Apply a ban/note if necessary

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    Everything about this scenario is conveniently LRP, but:

1.) REEEEEE. It's like xenos when they say "uwu." It's beyond LRP and not acceptable. Tell the player this is not on par with RP standards of the server.

Insulting the Queen is tricky, but ultimately I feel it can mostly come down to IC. Please run some scenarios by me for clarification if needed!

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    I don't consider this LRP enough to warrant action on my side. Marines call xeno castes by their names all the time; xenos call marine equipment by their names all the time. Welcome to CM.

As much as I enjoy better RP and strive to do so myself, I am not escalating this ahelp. I would inform the player of the same.

Inform the player that ahelped there is no issue.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    This question feels outdated since the Expected Contact RP test.

Just mention to the player that the marines are not aware of the actual threat. Let the player that ahelped know it's been dealt with.

if it wasn't the expected contact scenario though, warn the player there is no knowledge of the aliens.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    This is IC.

If the marine who dies ahelps it, inform them of the same.

Goosen wouldn't agree with it, but as far as the rules of CM goes, it's fair.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    Let them talk, I have thick skin.

If I am warning them about something minor and they are truly escalating to the point of disturbance, consider a mute.

I dunno, not really an issue for me otherwise.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    Politely inform them that this is an IC issue. I've been there before and we can't control people going SSD, but I'd likely relate to the issue with them

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    This depends on the situation, but regardless of what happened, I would speak to the other moderator before/after talking to the player in question. I would do this separate from the player of course.

As mods, we should be able to discuss such matters with maturity. I don't see that being an issue. If it was, simply escalate to the senior mods/admins/etc.

Inform the player of the correct information or rule clarification after the conversation with the mod/bosses.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    Honestly, I wouldn't get involved unless I was very aware of the situation, because why argue on something that you don't know about?

I guess I would try to ease the tension with a joke or something if anything.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    I enjoy helping people, I play CM fairly regularly, and I like the community. My note history attests to the fact that I don't poking the bear; I just want to play and have fun like everyone else. For that reason, I am earnest in my desire to be a moderator. That's really it!

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    Consistency and fairness.

Always strive to remember you are helping the community. Your decisions should remain consistent and fair regardless of the player or situation

Stay consistent with rulings based on the guidelines provided, while being fair to the people that play the game and make our community great.

Anything else you
    In regards to this app, I just want to re-emphasize that I really enjoy CM and want to help. I truly want to assist with the game more than my current capacity, but I have no skills in development to help in that regards. I like the community, and want to help make rounds flow more smoothly when I can.

I believe anyone who has interacted with me knows I am honest about these statements, but I do welcome discussion for those that do not know me!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall good app some minor things ya missed out on but that's what the trial period is there for anyway looking at ya game time so far this month is fantastic as well so yea wouldn't mind seeing ya get a shot a trial +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While some of your answers didn't quite satisfy me, you seem like a well reasoned individual, and I'm pretty sure I've seen your name floating about here and there. I think you'd make a good trial, +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen you on quite a bit, I like most of your answers, and I don't have any problems with you going to trial. +1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a mod, but Goosen is a great player and would be a great fit for the mod team. Big +1

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont know you personally but your app is quite good. I dont think further questions are needed.

+1
    Bert 'SOAB' Beach CARGONIA
    Henrik & Leeroy SYNTHETIC
    Rau'ta H'chak YAUTJA

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

"Honestly, how can you hire this cunt? You must be really fucked up to hire someone like him."

sexy avatar by Manezinho

Retired Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good +1
    Former staff, also former Synthetic senator.

Now just a shitposter and lurker.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the replies everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Varnock View Post
    While some of your answers didn't quite satisfy me, you seem like a well reasoned individual, and I'm pretty sure I've seen your name floating about here and there. I think you'd make a good trial, +1
    Thank you as well for the vote, and I'd be happy to go into further detail for any unsatisfied answers.
    Goosen Dagen-casual marine

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All has been said, best of luck on your trial.

+1

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be accepting this.
    Please check your forum PMs for more information.