User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A discussion on hostile survivors

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Add hostile CLF/UPP/ETC as a possible spawn replacement for survivors.

It'd be far more engaging than current survivor gameplay.
    This is war, survival is your responsibility
    Captain Alan Bentway
    Synthetic: Nicholas
    Hunter Kwei Ikthya-de

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hostile survivors are more dictated on experience, that MP that tased and flashed you as soon as you got off the DS why wouldn't you become hostile? but it's the way that moderation enforces it.
    Chaotic puppet-master from hell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the whole CLF/remote sector aspect of the lore pretty much encourages survivor players to be skeptical towards marines at best and outright hostile at worst. Aside from the rule that allows it, every aspect of how colonies and colonists are portrayed in this server basically says "there is a huge divide between colonists, the military, and the corporation, and this divide can lead to low-intensity and very personally driven conflicts".

On the topic of rules and enforcement, seems like the biggest problem is that marines and survivors get too salty and a very simple fix (aside from just making it impossible for humans to decap other humans, when has that EVER been a pleasant addition to any round?) is to simply make survivors "free game" for marine violence and state this very clearly in the rules. Fits the theme of warcrime that seems popular with the Falcons specifically, but also gives leeway for survivors who want to be friendly and ones that want to be hostile without having the gameplay driven by roundstart role options.

As a hostile survivor main that hardly plays anymore, I would see this as the best solution simply because it makes less trouble for staff overall (aside from the first week of getting survivor players used to being pwned """for no rasin""" without smashing that mf ahelp verb) while still preserving the atmosphere of innate distrust between marines and survivors.

One side note: I also think living survivors on the Almayer should have a MUCH bigger impact on DEFCON if this rule relaxation was put into play, perhaps even taking into account the survivor's health status on first arrival onboard. Unless survivors are actually worth something to the marines what reason would they have to not just shoot first and ask later?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frankly it never made sense to me why they would be hostile. They've been trapped on this planet with all their friends and colleagues dying around them while hiding and fighting xenomorphs, but them being crazy already doesn't make much sense to me, it's been a relatively short time, or seems like it to me. Why they'd shoot their ticket out after sending a distress signal in the first place just never really clicked for me.

The verb to antag survivors would be the second easiest solution, right behind cutting hostile out entirely, but I still don't think they make any sense regardless. As a CL main I see survivors live to talk to me in my office just about... never, really. Why further decrease their lifespan like this?

As an aside, should the verb route be taken, I think it would be best to somehow timelock it to the first ten to fifteen minutes of the round so they can't hit antag after marines land. This should be a decision made either at the start of the round with a different preference or early enough to not impact it as a whole. This SHOULD stop people just being quiet to get onto the almayer then hitting the button and going nuts.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you completely remove hostile survivors, the role will kind of just die. They haven't got an update in ages and the recent medic update completely denied them the use of pill bottles. Even If you add legit hostile survivors with objectives and all that, 1-2 M4 bullets can easily go through your armor that is basically a fancier bullet vest in terms of protection.

Survivors are just being encouraged to hide and pray xenos aren't bored enough to check lockers. Just add a specific role for hostiles.

You are unlikely to survive first contact with marines, though. Bad armor/can't open pill bottles, especially the latter, is really punishing when only a handful of people even bother with the role.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To interject my opinion, being a hostile survivor does not necessarily equate to shooting marines at first contact, nor does it have to mean this. One of the most fun rounds I've had as a hostile survivor involved me never firing a gun, declaring myself as CLF, and just RPing with the CMP and XO before being executed. On an unrelated note, I totally agree with Cakey, hostile survivor as an option sounds cool, you would just have to have differences between antag survivor and normal to let people have preferences and prevent total stacking of one side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd slightly alter the setting. Hostile Survivor and Non-Hostile Survivor should be separate both in preference and in game modes. Marines should be unaware until landing if the survivors are hostile or not. It should always be all or none. Easier to moderate. Also easier to give hostile survivors better/different equipment on spawn.
    Last edited by Makkenhoff; 10-21-2019 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Added equipment on spawn idea for hostile survivors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by awan View Post
    I feel it is a dual sided issue. Marines can be bitches to survivors as well. Removing them should add more restrictions on what mp's and marines can do to them.

And those would be oocly enforced since mps seem to not care to arrest marines who mistreat survivors.

I prefer a dev solution though.
    ^
    I think survivors spawning as CLF/UPP would be a nice touch.
    Lets say like 20 people roll survivor? Then it 20 UPP/CLF in a hidden bunker in a colony with a timelock podlock that only opens when marines land.
    This way it could go from a three way battle with xenos/survivors/marines.

Like imagine this. They have a small bunker. They will prep defences before the podlocks open. Small CAS ship inside the bunker base so that they would have a fighting chance against the marines/xenos. They would have their own small CIC team. Intelligence room. They could get intel too to call for more defcon troops. Xenos would get more faster evo. Permakilling on the human isnt allowed. They should try to capture marines/UPP/CLF as bargaining tools. The RP potential is high.

Or lets say that a UPP ship crashed in the colony infested with xenos and the UPP sends a distress signal because the colonists failed to do so. Lets say the UPP had a ceasefire treaty with the USCM and the USCM responded to their distress signal.
    (Xenos would have FASTER evolution when an event like this happens) it means that the UPP should be getting sieged in their crashed ship before the marines arrive and they would have a small window to get stuff from the colony. A squad of UPP will spawn.

I think we should have more variety. Removing survivors will make the game more bland considering that we are always playing distress.
    Last edited by Sakuyoi; 10-22-2019 at 12:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, CM would lose a lot of it's fun for me and a good bit of other players if you just cut out hostile survivors entirely. I agree with the character creation preference / roundstart verb route, where you'd have CLF/Pirate cosmetics spawned on you. No fighting gear or armor (maybe the CLF hauberk because of how laughably bad it is) so survivors won't pick it every round to have a slight advantage on the initial loot rushing. Hostile survivors are fun, and being a marine would be a more engaging experience if you knew you weren't just charging in to frag xenos and spam your binds in their burning hive, but you also had to watch out for some angry colonist poking out from around the corner and blowing your arm off. CM has lost a lot of it's... tension and sense of threat. Mechanically enabling hostile survivors would be really fun gameplay.

If you're a fully kitted out USCM marine with your squad of professional badasses, and you somehow manage to die to what's essentially a sci-fi rice farmer, you really deserve it. Sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Allow those who toggle candidacy for survivor to be able to toggle candidacy for CLF and/or UPP. At roundstart, being a survivor is like pretty much any other SS13 server. Either you roll traitor (CLF or UPP) or you don't. If you don't, self-antag rules apply.

That way, those who want to be hostile have a chance at doing it, those who want to be peaceful survivors will get to do that. Self-antag rules provide a hard and fast guideline and admins/mods can easily check for role status to see if someone is an antag survivor. And, coding can limit the number of hostile survivors between 0-2 per round or something (maps can help determine this, for example a higher number of potential hostiles on prison station, also 0 hostiles a.k.a. extendedTM game mode on other servers should be an option to avoid any metagaming). At the same time, those who roll antag survivor are expected to play the role.