User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: A discussion on hostile survivors

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like how people are pretending that hostile surv has anything to do with RP. What are you expecting them to do exactly? Stand ominously at 7 tiles and say edgy shit until someone slugs them? We already have predators for that.

Either turn them into pre-spawned hvh-lite or leave them as is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually made an account specifically in-response to this thread.

I tend to play hostile survivor. What does 'hostile survivor' mean to me? Well, it means a survivor who does not want to assist the USCM. That can be for a variety of reasons, but the most prominent ones are typically "the USCM are fascists who will literally execute their own men without trial or court martial, what will they do to me?"

It's Survivor, but you point guns at the Marines and tell them to go away. You don't want to be saved by them. The USCM hasn't been in this sector of space for years. That distress signal? Independent mercenaries could have just as easily responded to it, but for the sake of the story that is CM-SS13, it's the USCM that responds instead.

The last time I played a hostile survivor? I met a Predator, got shot by Marines, fought the Marines, a Predator scared them off with a roar, and then the entire Predator group decloaked and had me duel a Staff Officer that they captured. I was the "rebel" human. They viewed me differently. It was fun, enjoyable, and most of all? There was RP involved.

Now, hostile doesn't mean "kek the marines the moment you see them", and that's something important to understand. People act "hostile" and run around ambushing marines. That's just one kind of "hostile".

I would be all the way down for "hostile" survivors to be able to pick being marked as a hostile survivor through a verb at roundstart, giving them some equipment from the Independent Mercenaries, UPP or CLF. That seems to be the easiest solution, and one that Developers could include.

Outright banning "hostile survivors" is just a bad idea, my guys. The role hasn't been updated in forever and is already fairly unenjoyable. Limiting it even more is several steps backwards, instead of forwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutishcrab51 View Post
    I actually made an account specifically in-response to this thread.

I tend to play hostile survivor. What does 'hostile survivor' mean to me? Well, it means a survivor who does not want to assist the USCM. That can be for a variety of reasons, but the most prominent ones are typically "the USCM are fascists who will literally execute their own men without trial or court martial, what will they do to me?"

It's Survivor, but you point guns at the Marines and tell them to go away. You don't want to be saved by them. The USCM hasn't been in this sector of space for years. That distress signal? Independent mercenaries could have just as easily responded to it, but for the sake of the story that is CM-SS13, it's the USCM that responds instead.

The last time I played a hostile survivor? I met a Predator, got shot by Marines, fought the Marines, a Predator scared them off with a roar, and then the entire Predator group decloaked and had me duel a Staff Officer that they captured. I was the "rebel" human. They viewed me differently. It was fun, enjoyable, and most of all? There was RP involved.

Now, hostile doesn't mean "kek the marines the moment you see them", and that's something important to understand. People act "hostile" and run around ambushing marines. That's just one kind of "hostile".

I would be all the way down for "hostile" survivors to be able to pick being marked as a hostile survivor through a verb at roundstart, giving them some equipment from the Independent Mercenaries, UPP or CLF. That seems to be the easiest solution, and one that Developers could include.

Outright banning "hostile survivors" is just a bad idea, my guys. The role hasn't been updated in forever and is already fairly unenjoyable. Limiting it even more is several steps backwards, instead of forwards.
    The problem with hostile survivors is that most of their times they're just bad RPed. I played hostile survivor a few times as sabouter UPP spy that caused the events of the colony, some times I had the luck to be captured and resume the RP. The problem is most of the times Hostile Survs just shoot Marines then they are instantly turned into swiss cheese by an entire Marine squad.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the issue isn't hostile survivors, its a lack of anything for survivors to do

survivors have no long term goal, no DEFCON significance, no roleplay significance, no cool things only they can do (like a special item they have as a survivor scientist that speeds up surgery or some cool shit like that)

so most survivor mains gravitate to being hostile survivors because pew pew till horizontal is more fun than locker hiding or going up to the ship and cryoing out of sheer boredom

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone for your opinions.

Based on the discussions here, the overall community seems to want to allow hostile survivors, but wants them to have some kind of mechanic.
    At the moment, I want to remove the current system we have, and do agree survivors need a little bit of a rework.

I've created a gitlab here: https://gitlab.com/cmdevs/ColonialMarines/issues/8053

You may continue the discussion there

Thank you.