User Tag List

View Poll Results: Thoughts on the Expected Contact test?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Expected Contact (EC) is great with only minor improvements needed

89 64.49%
  • EC is better than First Contact (FC) but still needs a lot of work

24 17.39%
  • I don't care for either EC or FC more than the other

5 3.62%
  • FC was more fun than EC and I'd rather us improve it instead

14 10.14%
  • FC was better in every way than EC and we should go back

6 4.35%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expected Contact Poll & Future Plans

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Expected Contact Poll & Future Plans

If you don't know what Expected Contact is, click here for the original post.

The Expected Contact test has been going on for just over a month and we're setting up a general player poll, as well as refine a few things with the system (nothing major). So far a lot of people seem to be enjoying this, which is great to hear! Regardless, we do ask that everyone votes on the poll to help get a better idea of what everyone thinks of this RP style. With everyone seeming to enjoy Expected Contact more than First Contact, the plan is to refine a few things with updates to be announced upon EC's initial release.

While this post is not going to change any of the current testing rules, to keep things simple and everyone on the same page, the following are set to be updated:

• Corporate Liaison - General RP update. We hope to be able to give CL's a wider range of RP styles to work with under EC.
    • Researcher - Mostly unchanged. While we may add some minor RP additions, currently there is no impactful change we have in mind for it.
    • Survivors - Survivors are looking to be generally given some love here in the near future. While unlikely we'll have mechanical changes ready by the release of EC, we are looking to give them more RP options as well.
    • Predators - Currently predators are not filed under EC, as such they still operate under a FC RP style. Due to the rare nature of predator rounds (generally speaking), we may keep this style for them specifically. The possibility of adding predators to EC is currently under debate.

If you have any suggestions to improve EC and/or these roles, feel free to post below. I know a lot of suggestions have been given out on the previous poll but since we've all had time to experiment with EC, opinions and ideas will likely have shifted some. While I won't have the time to replay directly to all the suggestions here, I will go through and read all while working on the release of Expected Contact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Corporate Liaison - General RP update. We hope to be able to give CL's a wider range of RP styles to work with under EC."
    "Survivors - Survivors are looking to be generally given some love here in the near future. While unlikely we'll have mechanical changes ready by the release of EC, we are looking to give them more RP options as well."
    Yes! good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yass, nice things for survs would be nice. I love the concept, but the odds of getting beno ganked are crazy high and there�s not near enough RP when you reach the Almayer

Whitelisted Captain 50RemAndCounting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to seeing the survivor changes!
    Sheeesh this boy LRP as hell!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly think EC is solid, it eases the workload of RPing; you don't have the "oh, ****, I can't say that because I'm not supposed to know" happening.
    That said, not knowing the resources specifically required to run a SS13 server* I can't blanket statement with "why not have a server for one and a server for the other on a shared codebase." If that were POSSIBLE, the other concern I see in doing so is taking a small population and further subdividing it in that way. I personally would play both; but I sincerely doubt that to be common. Because I'm weird.

* I used to both run servers for a game community, and also leased servers, for several years; spanning everything from TFC, TF2, Killing Floor, Minecraft, Arma, Doom stuff (skulltag anyone?), Terraria. I was successful and fell out of love with it because of the workload. So I get the footwork side of it, I just have no specific knowledge pertaining to SS13.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate the very idea of adding preds so EC. They are a rare and unique RP adding thing that I don't think would benefit in the same way xenos have.

Like, as things are now the biggest issue with pred RP is marines being LRP and not taking their threat seriously enough. Mods should be addressing this but with pred rounds not being consistent I feel like it's hard to enforce, but not impossible.

EC would just give lrp marines an accuse to be angry at marines who get in the way of honour duels, they'll be like "Bruh we know they respect honour don't get in the way retard" when it should be "bro that thing is ripping our buddy apart, everyone dogpile the cocksucker".

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i cant speak for anyone else but holy shit EC is a huge improvement, the majority of PFC RP is discovery, which got old fast back when I joined

also yes, more CL and survivor shit is good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EC is much, much better in literally every way. There's no need to extend it to predators, though, FC is fine for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EC is cool. I like it. Sort of like the Aliens movie, we expect a xenomorph may be involved. Having to let a marine get dragged off before you could tag as hostile and engage with certainty was annoying. Some CO's need to attune their pre-written speeches though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like expected contact. From a gameplay standpoint it smooths out some of the LRP issues that come from having no idea what you're going in to fight. You can only die so many times due to being ignorant of facehugging before it just becomes annoying.

I also really love the possibilities from a lore perspective. If I recall, there's a time in the lore after the events of the second movie where colonies are just going dark, and remote space stations are exploding or crashing into the planets they orbit. There's rumors of these creatures, but the company moves to suppress them. The USCM has probably received cursory reports from the Sulaco or other ships in similar situations, but those ships went dark too. Those cursory reports allow for some knowledge of the xenos while still needing to investigate and research then.

The known nature of the threat also explains why the USCM is deploying so many troops. If I'm remembering correctly, a fireteam for the USCM is two Marines, and a squad is four. In the movie I think they're calling eleven or twelve military personnel and two civilian consultants a "platoon". The average CM game sees at least ten times as many Marines and support staff defrosted. It shows the USCM is finally taking the threat seriously enough to send it's most expendable warship and fighting unit to check things out