Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Decker100 - Commander Application

Commander Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    Decker100

Player Name You Use Most?
    Decker Alsimia

Make a list of links to all of your applications and (job)ban appeals, including whitelist and staff apps, within the last year. Also, provide "Ban reason; Verdict" beside each (job)ban link
    This is my first application for anything. I have never received a ban.

Have you received any ban within the last month? How long was it and what for?
    I have never received a ban.

Do you understand that any player - even donors or staff members - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our Server Rules or Roleplay Guidelines?
    Yes

How do you view the tool of Battlefield Execution to be used? What circumstances do you think it would be necessary to BE a member of the crew? Where do you think the Battlefield Execution Mechanic Differs from regular Execution and why?
    The infamous Battlefield Execution is a way for CO's to either remove someone quickly who is a direct problem to the USS Almayer and her Marines, or as the most extreme response to enhance the roleplay experience in the theme of the CO or general situation.

I personally see it as an outdated method for military command to exert dominance, however I do understand it is necessary as a way to prevent utter chaos and insanity that can come during a round. As such there are only three reasons I would ever battlefield execute anyone.

First, if I was being attacked and needed to defend myself, in order to preserve the chain of command and my life.

Second, if someone had directly caused the deaths of numerous fellows, simply failing to support is incompetence and doesn't warrant being shot, but a mistake or action that directly results in casualties, such as friendly-firing an OB, going on a killing spree or massive friendly fire all are reasons someone could very easily be shot and killed in the real world by their superior.

Third, if someone was knowingly taking actions that can harm the USS Almayer and her Marines over all. For example, a medic intentionally Over-Dosing their patients, an Engineer intentionally using explosives in such a way it would kill Marines or even if a Researcher, for whatever reason, released a Xenomorph from containment to "see what it would do". Whilst these scenarios can easily be handled by Military Law, specific situations can warrant a Battlefield Execution.

The difference between Execution and Battlefield Execution is that an Execution is the result of Marine Law, where the law permits the execution of an individual for a specific action. Battlefield Executions are determined by the Commanding Officer, who has the power to end an individuals life for a reason they see fit, rather than having to use the justice system. A Commanding Officer is entrusted to determine when a Battlefield Execution is necessary over a regular Execution, which is usually under specific circumstance or when time is not at hand.

In real life, Summary Executions are banned and as such, in order to stick with the more "realism" vibe I am going for, I cannot see myself using it all that much.

How will your Commanding Officer run his/her ship? Provide a detailed explanation on how he would handle situations that might commonly occur such as, a insubordinate engineering staff, a Staff Officer who cannot do anything right, an Executive Officer wh
    Decker Alsimia is a man of starship experience and military doctrine. This defines his decision making and in turn, defines himself. That is to say however, he is not the very essence of doctrine. Military doctrine exists not as a reason to be unnecessarily strict or get in the way, but rather to be applied on the tactical level and used to complete objectives. For example, coordinating squad movement would be impossible without a Chain of Command.

I aim that this mindset will reflect in Decker Alsimia's character, the ship will be ran as true to the doctrine as possible. Though with flexibility
    for players to learn their role and breathing room to prevent the overbearing authority a real life military structure has. Insubordination will be handled
    as it would realistically, an individual or unit who are insubordinate go through the proper legal channels even if their actions have compromised the operation,
    it is not reason for an execution.

Incompetence can be a major issue, especially in important command or support roles. Inability to preform is both a hindrance to the unit In-Character and hinders game play Out-Of-Character by not making use fully of assets provided. However this does not mean an individual should be shut out entirely, instead they should be taught and shown the how of things and why, time permitting. Of course someone totally incapable, as long as they are not negatively affecting the objective, can be bypassed should they fail to learn or simply ignore. Those who's incompetence leads to negativity should be dealt with appropriately, such as dropping an OB instead of a Supply Drop or failing to construct things properly as an Engineer.

In conclusion, I take alot of inspiration from Sci-Fi such as Battlestar Galactica, Star-Trek and Aliens itself, and I want Decker Alsimia to run the ship as any Naval officer would.

What do you think is the job of a Commander?
    The Commanding Officer is the ultimate in communication and support for the Marines. Though not as empowered as the Xenomorph Queen is to her hive and can be replaced by their Executive Officer, they are players who provide guidance for the rest and in many occasions provide a unique spin of their own taste to the scenario at hand. Be it a personality quirk, speech "impediment" (accent), their actions or a combination of the three.

At the end of the day, the Commanding Officer is there to support both the In-Game mechanics of the Marines via communication and action, as well as support the entertainment value of the game by emphasising achievement or shunning bad actions in a way that guide players to improve whatever aspect of game play they like to play.

As a player what do you think could be added for Commanding Officer to benefit the role?
    I believe the Commanding Officers role could use some better oversight. It's an opinion I have double for Military Police. I've experienced some rounds where the CO has either disregarded the rules or simply thrown them out the window in a manner not beneficial to the round. For example, not coordinating the CIC very well, ordering evacuation before the Xenos even launch the dropship, so forth. I think more fierce moderation would cut down on the issues sometimes caused by CO's.

What do you think you could contribute by being whitelisted?
    I believe I can bring a very clear-cut and commanding figure to the role. Whilst the ultimate objective of Colonial Marines is
    to have fun, some people, myself included, find enjoyment in immersive roleplay. I aim to bring the gritty realism of the 22nd
    century into the light, how the USCM is, at it's core, a Military force with strict chain of command and can overcome almost any
    obstacle it prepares for.

I am fully understanding of the entertainment value and indeed the necessity for the "wacky and outlandish" nature of some rounds or
    situations, I do intend to play these out as intended for what they are. I find it interesting and funny to ponder about what a Military
    Officer would do if something totally absurd happened, such as say, Kittens everywhere.

Choose one of the following story topics to write about
    June, 2165: The Tienstin Campaign, USS Talamanca
    The Captain of the USS Talamanca, a Conestoga class, had made a fatal error. He kept the vessel in low
    orbit and the UPP in high orbit simply dropped Kinetic-Kill rounds onto the dorsal side after they spotted the Talamanca's silhouette against the backdrop
    of the planet. This mistake was paid for with the obliteration of the Combat Information Centre, as well as numerous other compartments, along the uppermost
    deck. With the Marines on the surface, the Staff Officers being forced to suck vacuum and the Pilots still airborne, and the Chief Engineer nowhere to be found, the
    four Maintenance Technicians, huddled in the main engineering, were struggling to keep on-top of the plenty of critical system failures across the Talamanca.

Technical Sergeants Decker, Maxwell, Joseph and Clara loomed over the technical readout on the last functional terminal in the compartment.
    After a thorough reading, Decker rubbed his forehead. There were so many things that needed doing and probably alot of people dead. Now was not the time to panic, Decker thought.
    He had to keep it together, nobody else was stepping up and he knew if something wasn't done now, they'd all be dead by the time the UPP zero in.

Decker turned his head,
    "Clara, Joseph, check the SMES and put them on minimal outpost as possible, we need to conserve what power we have left." He commanded.

"Shouldn't we check the reactors?" Clara asked.
    "No, if the Reactor casing is cracked then they'll be a tritium leak and we don't have time to bust out radiation suits. We need to conserve what we have left."
    Clara nodded and turned to the ladder heading below deck, Joseph paused and glared at Decker.
    "Hold on why are you suddenly giving orders!?"
    "Joseph, the bow of the ship has a hole in it the size of a house and you're worried about the Chain of Command?" Decker responded.
    Joseph hesitated a moment, then nodded, understanding the situation. Decker then turned to Maxwell.

"I need you to head to the telecommunications array and get them back up, fire a general distress beacon whilst you're there."
    Maxwell shuddered, "That's at the very bow...there is a decompression right above it, the hull might not hold."
    "If the hull was going to cripple it would of gone already, I need to be here to return fire or we're all dead regardless, you know
    Telecommunications better than me, you need to get there, now." Decker clenched his teeth, if Maxwell refused he'd have no right to
    force him and he'd have to take a gamble to do it himself.

Maxwell inhaled, swallowed and said "Right, I'm on it." He then turned and ran, slipping between the yellow hatch doors being held open by a crowbar.

Decker rubbed his eyes and turned to the terminal once again. The UPP we're closing for a killing blow else they would of fired again already. He knew he had to act fast.
    He brought up the weapons interface and dialled in the estimated position of the UPP vessel.
    He then quickly double-checked to make sure he wasn't going to mistakenly fire a supply crate at them instead. He jabbed the ENTER key and there was a loud whirr as
    the remaining dorsal rail-gun rotated to its target. Then a thud as the Kinetic Kill round was auto-loaded, followed by a shudder as the rail-gun fired.

January, 2179: Georgia 525, Chinook 91 GSO Station
    Decker tugged at his green uniform, straightening it beneath his belt. Being requested to the Vice Admiral's cabin meant either a medal or a promotion.
    A promotion meant reassignment, command of Marines and less time coordinating gun crews. He did not like that idea.
    He sighed and then stepped through the blue hatch into the Vice Admirals office.
    Giving a sharp salute, Decker announced "Commander Alsimia reporting as ordered, sir." The Vice Admiral tapped his cigar, "At ease".

Decker rested his hands neatly behind his back. Out here, discipline was in high demand.

"Now then, your Commanding Officer has put forward this rather lovely commendation, I happen to know the Commodore quite well and he's not that easy to
    impress. Quite a thing you did, coordinating the attack on that Anti-Corporate group." The Vice Admiral put the cigar in his mouth and puffed, keeping his
    eyes trained on Decker as if expecting a sort of response.

Decker waited for the Vice Admiral to continue. Decker's belief held true, to disturb the Vice Admiral now would not only be rude, it'd be disrespectful.

"Now you're not getting the commendation. I have something much more interesting for you than a shiny round medal." The Vice Admiral slid forward folder, to
    which Decker picked up and flipped open. A silver eagle was pinned to the first page, acting as an over-glorified paperclip. The paper was a technical dossier and
    crew manifest of the USS Almayer. A transport ship. A vessel considered under-powered by modern Starship standards and certainly carrying less ordinance than the Conestoga
    class vessel of Decker's previous assignment.

"Yes, she went under a retrofit last year and she has some lovely fresh Officers that could use your personal touch." The Vice Admiral took another puff of his cigar.
    "Of course you've done all the command courses when you weren't on deployment and if your time as Executive Officer has shown anything you're more than capable at adapting
    to situations. I'm sure the command of some Marines, instead of some state of the art, high-powered anti-ship weapons will be easy for you to come to terms with."

Decker looked up from the folder. "Thank you sir. I'll take this challenge in stride, sir." He said and gave another salute. The Vice Admiral nodded and gestured his
    cigar to the hatch.

As Decker stepped out and the hatch whirred closed behind him, he flipped open the folder and looked at the crew manifest.
    His suspicions we're correct, a large Marine unit placed under his Command. He had led ground operations before, from the high-tech
    environment of the Combat Information Centre that is, and whilst he was certainly capable; he could never get rid of his space-legs.
    Still, you don't say 'No' to a challenge, it's not what Officers do. They take it in stride and do their best. Or so the pleasant thought went.

In actuality, Decker thought only one word, which he let slip under his breath.
    "Bollocks."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did Like your story, I'd say to be careful with your "quirk", you're an awesome XO to have when playing CO, I believe that you're more than capable of performing well in the role. I'll miss you as XO. Good Luck, Captain! o7 +1
    Marine: Mel Kim
    Captain: Mel Kim
    Synth: Yuki
    Mentor: 12/13/2018 - 02/07/2019 -> TrialMod: 02/07/2019 - 02/22/2019-> Moderator: 02/22/2019 - 01/xx/2020

Ex-term 3 synthetic councillor.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'll played a good amount of Rounds with you has XO to known you will be a CO, has Pedro says, we will miss you has XO, either.

You story was good and for me a bit interesting, and the way you describe the BE is neat for me, good job.

Although,i have a question for you.

�How you would handle if a researcher suddenly kidnaps a marine and uses him has a host for a xenomorph larva?

For now +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi edgardo thanks for the +1.

Reading that question reminds me of Alien: Covenant and David leading the Captain to his egg room. Or in Aliens when Burke tries just that.

Assuming the Researcher doesn't take further hostile action, the priority would be ensuring the Marine received medical attention with the Military Police apprehending the Researcher. Only if the Marine dies does it become a murder charge nor would the Researcher be viable for execution under a Military justice system, however it is certainly grounds for permanent confinement and would bring their sanity in question due to their total disregard to ethics.

Should the Researcher take further hostile action, for example using a weapon against the people apprehending them or trying to impregnate them with Xenomorph's it is a clear cut case of hostility, where a proportionate response is required such as said Researcher being shot and killed during their apprehension. A decision would have to be made to revive the Researcher or leave them dead, likely the former, resource and time depending. I would not approve of the Researcher being revived only to face execution.

At the end of the day, the legal side of things are handled by the Military Police and if the situation were dire or on the spot action needed, the Researcher would likely be thrown in the brig.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can actually Execute someone with the charge of Sedition, attempting to impregnate a marine goes agaisn't the USCM and the Humanity and shouldn't be Pardoned.

For my part, your answer was good.

keeping the +1

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only downside I can see to giving you a CO whitelist would be the server losing such a good XO.

+1

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, The same thing Carson told me when I put up my whitelist app.

"We would be losing a really good XO."

Well Captain. The answers, story and the app overall looks beautiful. You earned it.

+1

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An easy +1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1, good app.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He puts effort into his role and takes it seriously.

Just watch out for the CO burn out.

+1