Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vicacrov - Moderator Application

Moderator Application

Personal Information

Byond ID?
    Vicacrov

CM Character?
    April (Synthetic), Cassandra Chester (Captain)

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    GMT+2

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?
    10-15

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    I have been a moderator before in smaller communities (80-120 people). Mostly done work over voice chat (Teamspeak times).

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    Not anymore.

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    No.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    No.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    No.

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    Yes, as long as I don't have to endure jake's moth memes.

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    Nothing to do here if it didn't take out anyone of the round, it was handled IC.

If he had successfully decapicated his victim, aheal them.

If said shooting wasn't accidental (read: emptied a mag into someone), then PM the guy and figure it out whether he is new or there is something else to it. If the latter, ask the shot person about the incident as well. It might be a grudge held over last round. If it is, note them for it.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    Ask him to do a player report on the forums. We can dig up logs but it's the council members' job to handle such situations.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    Ask mentors whether they have the time/mood to deal with them. If not, I guess I could do it myself.

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    Had several of these before, customer service is a fun job. Stay calm, explain it to them why they were given the answer that angered them, then ask them if I can be of any help in other matters. If they keep arguing with me about a decision, refer them to the forums where they can make a complaint about me and tell them the decision, for that moment, is final. Adminshopping is nowhere tolerated.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    PM the guy, politely remind them about naming rules and request a new name from them. If they give me one, I rename them to it. If they don't, I suggest giving me one, again, lest I pick one myself. If they still don't cooperate, I rename them to something I pick. Either way, note him for the name as he might be doing it on purpose.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    Possibly an IC issue. If I'm observing, I could keep an eye on him for a little while; but he was probably ordered to deploy (MTs are often sent to FOBs, after all), a xenomorph might be onboard/there might be a distress vessel docking and command forgot to raise the alert.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    Check combat logs, see who shot first and whether it was (weapon-wise) escalated or not. Then, ask both the marine and the survivor what happened. If their stories don''t match, ask them if there were others around - and ask one or two of the witnesses. I'd rather bother the least amount of people possible with such a case.

If the survivor was indeed openly hostile from the get-go, it's an IC issue that the marine got killed. If the survivor just shouted communist propaganda, then instantly decapped the marine, it'd be an escalation issue and the survivor would need a talking to + a note on the rulebreak.

Either way, I'd thank them for their cooperation and tell the ahelper about the outcome of the investigation. The rest of the participants don't need to know about the decision.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    Ask the player what they exactly did to begin with. Breaking into requisitions and stealing something can be trespassing + theft + possibly resisting arrest. At minimum, this is 20 minutes, at maximum it's 90 minutes, the latter exceeds 60 minutes which warrants a perma (but why would you charge a maximum amount of time for a single attachment?)

Then PM the MP and ask about their reasoning, as MPs potentially breaking the marine law is an OOC issue. If the MP had a good reason to perma him (read: the ahelper lied and committed other crimes as well), ask one or two witnesses. If the MP was right, thank him for his cooperation and get back to the ahelper - first of all, reminding them that lying in ahelps is a big no-no; then, tell them that the MP was following the law properly.

If the MP was wrong in this case, try to tell them where they were wrong (for example, don't use multiple charges for the same action to increase jail time or to not to charge maximum time for small issues) and try to teach them how to do it better next time. And, of course, ask them to adjust the prisoner's sentence (from perma to, let's say, 20 minutes). Then, tell the ahelper about it, possibly among the lines of "the MP is a bit new but he was corrected". No need to shame the MP either, nobody is perfect at this game.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    If the aliens don't have a queen and nobody can evolve into one, just wait until the timer is up and the round ends itself.

If not, ask the rest of the staff which side they think should attack.

If the aliens are clearly delaying, send them a QM message about making a last charge against the tallhosts.

If the aliens were doing very well/the staff agrees on it, then ask a mod+ to make a ARES/high command announcement to encourage marines for re-deployment. Maybe give them something to be retrieved from the hive that they MUST retrieve before leaving the sector (some high value W-Y stuff or, even better, a crate with twenty boxes of HEFA).

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    Try to deal with it IC first and foremost, I'm still a player. Ask them to be careful with pilling people others have been working with. If they don't listen/clearly trying to grief, ahelp it and let other staff members deal with this, as it wouldn't be fair to take my own case.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    IC issue, the USCM and the CLF are hostile to each other from the get-go. The round ending doesn't change this.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    Ask the ahelper what they have stolen/whether the guy is targeting someone specific. Disarming and punching are regular, gear theft is almost always roundstart griefing which makes it an OOC issue. After that, PM the ahelped guy, ask him for his reasoning, and check his notes. If this was the first case, then tell him that he (very possibly) broke rule 4 and to reel it back. If this wasn't the first case, then ask the rest of the staff what kind of punishment it deserves, as I have no idea of the ban times (yet).

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    Check the attack logs to see whether it was really just a punch. If it went from punch to gun, then check the murderer's notes. If there are no notes on improper escalation, then remind them about this rule's existence - if they are unfamiliar with it, point them in the right direction and summarize it to them, then note them for it. If it wasn't his first case, then escalate the punishment accordingly (again, ask the other staff members about the correct amount of bantime or refer to a manual/list that has them).

After that, get back to the ahelper and tell them it was solved. If he gets quick medical attention, then from there I leave it there to not to break the atmosphere; if he isn't going to be revived, I aheal them to fix the griefing.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    Use MOOC to remind them they need to ahelp mutinies with a good cause before they take place. If nobody does so and they do a full unga rush on CIC, I sleep them and PM a few of them to ask who their leader is. If I get a name, I talk with the leader and ask them why they didn't ahelp before and why they didn't ahelp after getting the MOOC message. Their mutiny would be ruled incorrect and I'd notify marines on MOOC to stop it; then, I'd note the mutiny leader for improper procedure (and possibly hand out a punishment for it, though I'm not sure if this worths a ban. I guess not, just a note, but it's better to check with the staff.)

I should probably note the other mutineers as well - however, I'm not sure what's the custom here. Most often, mutineers just get caught up in the situation and they don't know whether their leader ahelped the mutiny or not. I can't really fault marines for actually following their leaders.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    If it's just one person, remind them that minor racism is allowed ingame. However, if it gets really distasteful and/or more people are ahelping/LOOCing against it, then use MOOC/XOOC to ask players to cool it down a bit.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    As for the shooter, ban for a week/month, then file for perma. They can explain themselves on the forums as this looks like a clearcut case for griefing. Note them as well, just to make sure it leaves a trace.

As for the victims, aheal them on the spot, then inform them on MOOC that aheals were handed out due to griefing.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    Check their notes if this is the first case.

Then, check where they have burst and where the frontline is. If they clearly ran from LV's central caves to LZ1, I PM the guy and remind them that suicide is not allowed - if they don't want to be a xenomorph after death, just turn the preference off.

If this was a first offence, jobban them for... 3 days? Maybe. If this wasn't the first case, jobban them for a week or a month. Again, I'd ask the staff about the proper times.

If possible, I'd ask a guy with the proper permissions to increase the hive's larva count by one/spawn a larva to make up for the suicided guy. It can matter a lot when there're only 9-10 xenomorphs in-game.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    I'd PM the guy and ask them to tone it down. If he uses netspeak, ask them to stop that - and remind them that the Queen's will is absolute, insulting her is not the way to go. Note him for such behaviour.

If he still doesn't stop, I'd tell him that he gets jobbanned for this, then jobban them for... you know, for the amount of time I'm told to ban for.

Then note them for not cooperating with the staff.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    It's fine to call the dropship a dropship, xenomorphs are a hivemind, they know what the other guy meant. It's a bit LRP but we don't enforce standards to this point.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    I'd tell the ahelper to read the new rules about that, as marines now know about the possible xenomorph presence at their destination. No further actions are required.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    If they don't get rid of the corpse, watch with amusement as it explodes into tiny bits. If it is not ahelped, I would not step in - I would assume everyone treats it as a proper roleplay scenario.

If the victim/bystanders ahelp it, ask the killer for his reason, then ask both sides if they talked beforehands. If the killer just quietly executed someone, only to hop in and eject the pod, then I'd remind the killer to at least roleplay out desperation. A single sentence would suffice in such a heated case (xenomorphs breaking the last line of defence, for example.) Then note them for killing without roleplay OR escalation.

If there was roleplay involved, tell the ahelper that while it was rule-wise not strictly ideal, it was a roleplaying scenario where there was no time for proper combat-escalation, and that there will be no action taken.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    I'd let him let off the steam. However, if he goes on for a good 5-10 minutes, I'd ahelp it and ask other staff members to try to calm him down. I'm used to getting called names - I'm more worried about the guy himself on the other side, getting this worked up. I don't think I should try to calm him down myself if I was the cause of his anger to begin with.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    Tell him it's an IC issue. Contrary to most servers, getting stuff done to your character while you are SSD is perfectly normal on CM. It's unfortunate but it is how it is.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    If it's incorrect information, I'd tell them the right information in PM (so the player doesn't see that the staff member was wrong).

If he is incorrectly enforcing a rule, I'd wait for a more senior staff member to correct him. If there is nobody willing to do it, I'd ask him in msay if he is sure about this rule enforcement. I wouldn't try to correct him - if he is blatantly incorrect, I'd give my two cents, then leave it at that. I'm nobody's boss, after all.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    A bit connected to the previous one. I would wait for a more senior member to step in and bring a ruling in this case / calm down the two sides. If it gets REALLY out of hand (read: the staff members are throwing insults at each other and nobody is stepping in), I'd ask them to ask about it on Discord from their managers, and leave this situation at it for now. Heated arguments get us nowhere. If they don't, I just mind my own business, I don't want to force my rulelawyering on anyone.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    I miss contributing to CM and I don't have the time and motivation enough to continue developing for now. I hope I can get back to it next year but until then, I would like to help out during the dead hours (GMT+2 , 8 am to 2 pm or so).

It's also no secret that I loved to do events in other games and, if I ever get to senior moderator+, I'd love to do them here. But, until then, time to grind in the mod mines.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    Politeness and professionalism. I cannot emphasize it enough how off-putting it is to interact with any staff member, whether in games or at IRL workplaces who shows zero sign of professionality. I know moderating in SS13 is a completely voluntary job, but it is a much better experience for both the player and the staff if everyone stays within a certain framework. The player will feel his time to be valued that he spends on with interacting with the staff, and the staff's more serious side won't feel ashamed for its own members if they uphold certain standards. (It's embarrassing to work somewhere where your colleague uses slang with customers, and you are grouped with them during evaulation.)

I wouldn't say moderators should be all gentlemen in and out of game, but in ahelps they should very well be.

Anything else you
    Anything else I

As you can see, I really like taking notes. I'm not a fan of secret polices, don't misunderstand me, I just like to leave a trail of paperwork after whatever I do, so other staff members can see if player X has done stuff before or not.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P.S. I'm not a developer anymore, I'm not on an extended leave, so please nuke my developer tag on the forum.
    April - Synthetic
    VIC - Xenomorph

Head Ukraine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicacrov View Post
    P.S. I'm not a developer anymore, I'm not on an extended leave, so please nuke my developer tag on the forum.
    all good, if/when you get accepted into mod team, your perms will be updated

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NethIafins View Post
    all good, if/when you get accepted into mod team, your perms will be updated
    Got it. o7
    April - Synthetic
    VIC - Xenomorph

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aight pretty good answers although a few are a bit off, but Dork will run ya through em im sure, so no worries there.

You're a long time staff/member of the community so getting a trial at Mod wouldn't be a problem at all so have a gamer

+1
    Head Developer & Marine Law Maintainer

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1

Competent staff member in the past, and a good person to hang around with.

No further questions needed.
    Bert 'SOAB' Beach CARGONIA
    Henrik & Leeroy SYNTHETIC
    Rau'ta H'chak YAUTJA

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

"Honestly, how can you hire this cunt? You must be really fucked up to hire someone like him."

sexy avatar by Manezinho

Retired Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    finally we stealing a dev back

+1
    Former staff, also former Synthetic senator.

Now just a shitposter and lurker.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Returning staff member from extended leave. They had more powers than mentors did, and we allowed mentors to come over to trial mods without having to apply.