User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just small advice for medics and survs(maybe)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might do it for a SL, Spec or Gunner. Otherwise it's just an expenditure of resources I can't often afford.
    This is war, survival is your responsibility
    Captain Alan Bentway
    Synthetic: Nicholas
    Hunter Kwei Ikthya-de

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In this thread the people who don't play medic complaining they have to take a time out to not die vs the medics who are already resource strapped and barely able to keep ungas alive as is

If you honestly think a medic should be wasting 3+ pills on you to cure something a simple surgery can do for free, ask yourself when is the last time you offered to carry some medical supplies or tossed the medic an AP mag since you expect them to waste all their vendor points on meds for your convince?

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidChan View Post
    In this thread the people who don't play medic complaining they have to take a time out to not die vs the medics who are already resource strapped and barely able to keep ungas alive as is

If you honestly think a medic should be wasting 3+ pills on you to cure something a simple surgery can do for free, ask yourself when is the last time you offered to carry some medical supplies or tossed the medic an AP mag since you expect them to waste all their vendor points on meds for your convince?
    You can really just grab additional bica pill bottle just for that purpose. It's not that hard to find one "small" space in your satchel.

Surgery might do it for "free", but it's pain in the ass to wait 10+ just for that. While you could cure that marine during fire-fight and he would still fight with splinted chest, or whatever.
    Especially if it is some robusto, like Avalanche. Sending him up with mere IB is a sin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    You can really just grab additional bica pill bottle just for that purpose. It's not that hard to find one "small" space in your satchel.

Surgery might do it for "free", but it's pain in the ass to wait 10+ just for that. While you could cure that marine during fire-fight and he would still fight with splinted chest, or whatever.
    Especially if it is some robusto, like Avalanche. Sending him up with mere IB is a sin.
    You're not talking "just one" bic bottle. You're talking 2-4 Bic bottles specifically for IB treatment. And an extra 1-2 Kelo. How much you'll need varies radically on what squad you're in, and what time of day you play. Tag along with Delta and after a prolonged fire fight you'll have a dozen or more marines needing IB treatment because of FF, in addition to anyone that was just lucky enough to survive an encounter with a Rav or Crusher (or hell even Lurkers given how predominate they are these days.)

A pill bottle only has 14 pills, that's an entire bottle to just barely treat 7 marines. Or a QC pill and pat on the head to run them towards the nearest surgical ward or Medivac. And lets not start what happens when Minimedics go to far and push someone over that 50+ OD threshold and start causing significant toxin damage.

This all comes back around to the fact that medics are left to fend for themselves while treating patients as well as your basic ungas, especially avalanche, just refusing to take treatment or listen to the medic. Even if the medic is going out of there way to treat everyone worth treating to the best of their ability, their squad is going eventually abandon them so that lurker can sneak up and get a cheeky kill.

TL;DR It's not worth the medics time or severely limited resources to intentionally OD and waste 3 of his most useful pills to cure a condition that 4 doctors, the CMO and Synth can all fix with surgery for nothing. Ya'll have no fucking interest in supporting your medics, so you can take a time out if you get IB'd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL

Talk about oversimplifying a problem.

Going off memory, a single Bica pill worth of OD will heal about 12 IB damage. You will rarely see less than 20 IB damage, and you will sometimes see more than 40. So, in practice, you can assume a marine needs 5-6 Bica pills, spread across 3-4 doses. This requires you to either stay glued to that marine for around 10 minutes, or have them hang around you for 10 minutes. If you stop monitoring that marine a significant period, and then all of your effort/expended supplies have gone to waste, since any significant amount of untreated IB is enough to force a medivac unless you blow even more supplies restarting treatment (not to mention hammering your iron supply fixing the IB induced blood loss). Oh, and with the current meta going through 5 bottles of Bica isn't that unusual, so treating IB even once puts a serious strain on your already strained supply.

Having a marine sit beside you as they process Bica for 10 minutes is only slightly faster than sending them up for treatment. This approach also requires you to stay fairly static and in the rear, since running around the frontline is a good way to lose people trying to follow you. Under normal circumstances, it simply isn't worth it over getting them to evac.

As for following the marine around...well, I assume that a lot of the people reading this are vaguely competent medics. That means that you always try to request ImiAlky and Iron from chem, you almost never die within 30 minutes of dropping as a medic (barring a squad wipe), and you know how to correctly treat every sort of injury that an unga can suffer. Congratulations, as one of the few competent medics you are responsible for around 10-20 marines who are totally dependent on you once their feeble first aid supplies run out, since at least half of your fellow medics will be dead/braindead morons by 12:50. Do you know what does not help you maintain the health and livelihood of those two dozen marines? Faffing about with one marine who has a condition which can be treated almost as quickly by walking to the dropship. You should be roaming around looking for spots where there is a need for (more) medics, not hovering around a single dude as they do whatever they feel like doing (which will only rarely line up with your medic duties).

Now, there are exceptions. Obviously, if you yourself suffer IB and the situation groundside is quite bad, then treating yourself while you work is a viable option even if it puts a serious dent in your Bica supply. If your squad is grouped up and isolated, then it might be both impractical for the IB victim to medivac and return, and a lot easier for you to keep near them long enough to treat the IB. Protracted, intense FOB sieges/stalemates are an iffy case because of the ease of evac/redeploying, but may be worth it in the case of a major robusto/competent NCO. Lastly, medbay hell might make groundside IB treatment more attractive, since it saves a marine from a half hour wait in medbay and lightens the load shipside. Note, however, that all of these don't happen very often, and the vast majority of the time the correct response to finding a marine with IB is to send them shipside.

Oh yeah, and a lot of the time people with IB have other damage as well. Spending 10 minutes treating someone for IB and then having them lose their chest splint to FF and get a punctured lung is a very real possibility.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by havokman View Post
    -snip-
    Yeah, sure, but I never tried to tackle apparent "problem" of large scale IB healing outside surgery. One PFC marine can change the outcome of the round by simply staying and fighting instead of medevacing. Getting that one pill bottle to heal that one, or maybe two specific marines (Specs for example) by also babysitting them a bit might be beneficial.

I'm not saying all (or any) medics should just grab additional backpack filled with pill bottles. I'm saying that one stack of 5 buckshot shells in satchel won't change much, this one pill bottle can, and even if not used for IB treatment, it is still usefull on its own.

Change da med loadout. My finall message. Good Bye.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cure IB on anyone I see who has it on bith synth or medic. But my standard loadout is 2 spare bica bottles.

3 bica pills + 1 kelo + 1 tricord gets them to 45 bica od, but they will outheal the od as tricord and kelo stack.

I find this cures 95% of all IBs. Alternatively on big red you can get the cyro in medical working with no issue, which will cure IB.

Also I had someone inject themselves with cyro and take a cold shower which also apparently works.

Final note, I use tricord to heal anything under 30 damage as it is often split between brute/burns and saves me two pills (one kelo and one bica). I rarely run out of bica pills.

Oh and its 16 pills per bottle.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You people living in the past. I just get cryodoxen in a hyperspray then make a cold shower to use it in. Literally 10 seconds or less, no IB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, how do you make a shower? Might need to consider adjusting my medic loadout to fit that trick in.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by havokman View Post
    Hmm, how do you make a shower? Might need to consider adjusting my medic loadout to fit that trick in.
    I think you can't make new showers, but they are plenty on Big Bread and Prison. Simply find a wrench and set it to very cold with it. Old SS13 trick that allowed people to survive plasma fires.