User Tag List

Thread: A Clueless Beginner Marine Asks Questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Clueless Beginner Marine Asks Questions

I looked around the forum and couldn't find any gameplay Q&A threads, so here this is.

I'm very new to CM, and have mostly played only squad marine, and I've done barely anything in every round that I've played (currently sitting at less than five kills in around a dozen deployments), and so my big question is: How do I shoot effectively? I'm shooting a lot, and (mostly) avoiding hitting teammates, and I'm certainly getting a few shots on target, but I never seem to be able to finish any of them off. I assume most of it is just practice, but is there anything specific I should also be doing?

Secondly, when should I consider trying out other roles? I've dabbled a bit in engineering, but I'm not really sure when and to what roles I should move on to in time. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You usually have to chase after xenos to kill. This isn't always possible. Stuns work well though. PFC can easily grab 2 primaries so grab a rifle and a slug shotgun, just make sure not to hit teammates.

As for other roles, play them whenever you feel like. Just start from the bottom (MT before CE, etc.)

Also, discord is much better for beginner questions, there's a button for it here and in game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You usually have to chase after xenos to kill. This isn't always possible. Stuns work well though. PFC can easily grab 2 primaries so grab a rifle and a slug shotgun, just make sure not to hit teammates.

As for other roles, play them whenever you feel like. Just start from the bottom (MT before CE, etc.)

Also, discord is much better for beginner questions, there's a button for it here and in game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm certainly not an expert, but in my CM13 experience the most important factor for Marines is positioning. When a few of my friends decided to try the game I suggested that they take a smart scope on a carbine so they can ignore FF and just focus on being where they need to be. A huge part of that is knowing when to chase and when to back off. I've seen two Marines kill a crusher that thought it was safe after backing off three or four screens away to heal. It has retreated through an unweeded area to heal alone. I've seen bunches of Marines hugged and dragged off while chasing after a wounded runner.
    The other thing that I've seen work is body blocking, which again comes down to positioning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    slug shotgun.
    : pensive :