0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okand37 - Synthetic Application

Synthetic Whitelist Application
    Byond ID?
    Okand37

Marine Name
    Verena 'Whimsy' Knox, Allie 'Ally' Oxenfere, et al.

Other Whitelist Applications
    Name of the Synth Character you wish to play
    Joan

Are you familiar with the Synthetic Programming and Guidelines?
    I have read through and understand the synthetic expectations rule-wise, as well as that demonstrated by synthetic players.

What are some scenarios that you can perform combat in? Give us a brief example.
    A synthetic is, in essence, unable to perform combat except in the interest of self preservation or in the form of defence to drive away a combatant while removing a defenceless marine from a combat scenario. They should never actively seek out combat, and battle should be delegated to nearby personnel if applicable.

Synthetic Character Story
    What is your Synth�s quirk and personality?
    Joan was built with the innate sense of honour and piety associated with knights by a wealthy corporate officer with an interest in the Renaissance period of history past. Due to the expensive cost of reprogramming breaks, the USCM acquired Joan for pennies price. I intend to play my synthetic with some Renaissance era words spiced it, when referring to places, individuals, and items, I'd like to bring a silly and amusing change of pace with this quirky character. Gameplay wise, I'd likely focus primarily on the construction and maintenance of bases, but am more than happy to fill any support role necessary as of the time!

How familiar are you with Engineering?
    I consider myself exceptionally proficient with engineering and enjoy playing squad engineer as well as ship-side technician roles as my go-to jobs. I enjoy engineering on both an in-game level and a more structural mapping level. These are my most consistent roles. I understand the importance of good engineering practice and perform my due diligence in providing such with enthusiasm!

How familiar are you with Command?
    I'm familiar with playing in command roles and have enjoyed cohesive success when playing as a squad leader or squad officer, as well as assigned-squad lead positions. I doubly enjoy IO as a junior field-officer and intelligence gatherer. I'm familiar with marine law and practices, and have never been arrested! (Hooray!)

How familiar are you with Medical?
    As a marine, I almost always act as a first responder with associated kit. I enjoy playing support roles, and am no stranger to medical or surgical treatment practices. I understand chemistry and reactions across code-bases. I am also familiar with research, and the expectations of medical from both field and ship perspectives.

How familiar are you with Requisitions?
    Requisitions were my first roles, and I enjoyed playing as a requisitions officer and supplying the marines with equipment drops. I'm both aware of what marines will need as well as want during an operation, and how requisitions are able to meet those expectations.

Why do you want to be a synthetic/why should we whitelist you?
    I would like to think I am an experienced roleplayer and spend most of my time on CM doing such. I play primarily support roles so that I can focus more on interaction while providing valuable resources and assistance to the overall team. I believe my synthetic character is interesting as well as unique, and could provide an amusing but deep avenue of interaction.

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason? Do you have any active jobbans?
    I have never been banned.

Are you currently banned from our Discord, and if so, why?
    I am not!

Do you have anything else you would like to include about your application?
    I hope you have a nice day and enjoy reading the story! I look forward to your thoughts!

Do you understand that any player - donor or otherwise - can have their whitelist status revoked should they break our rules or the Synthetic Programming Guideline?
    Yes

Do you understand that you cannot advertise your application on any platform for votes. Do you also understand you may not edit this application 1 hour after it has been posted?
    Yes
    Last edited by Okand37; 11-04-2019 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Additional edits to explain the "quirk" section more thoroughly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there! Do let me tell you what I think about your Synthetic Application, now that I've analyzed it well enough!

Let's start with the easiest part to analyze; the player experience. I hope no one reading over your Application thinks that you're a new player posting their app within a day of account creation! You've been in the Dev Team, and I've known your character since I was playing Lynn. You are a long-time player, and you surely are competent enough to handle the role, and you can surely handle the RP part!

Now, regarding the questions. The Combat Scenarios is a tad short for my tastes; while it clearly follows the tenets of short and sweet, it doesn't exactly say how you will behave when faced with hostiles. It would've been wiser to provide some examples and speak more about each typical Combat Scenario more in-depth!

The Skill-Check questions feel rather airy at first, but prove to be almost as effective as providing a list of all the things you know about the said Department!

I enjoyed the story! It was a fun read, and showed your concept clearly. I loved the fact that it was one of the few 1st person Synth stories which completely lack any booting sequences or computer-like lines which feel rather artificial to me; instead, you opted to follow a more organic, and interesting, approach, and I thoroughly liked that! The dialogue sequence is rather short, but it portrays how you'll be interacting with the CIC in about 80% of the cases and how you will put your quirk at work, so that's good!

The quirk itself is a very fun and interesting idea! I absolutely love it, and I'm sure you won't meme around with it. I thoroughly enjoy easily-applicable quirks, which can lead to fun situations, and yours surely is one of them! Do be careful not to over-use the part where you call everyone in the CIC Lord or Majesty, and don't use too many Renaissance-era words or you'll risk becoming rather incomprehensible and annoying!

Before I do give my verdict, riddle me this:

1) Under the Captain's orders, you are proceeding with a marine offensive into the LV caves! Suddenly, a Lurker and a Runner pounce you and attack you! You are armed with the Captain's personal Telescopic Baton. What do you do?

2) While proceeding to Engineering to perform a routine-check on the fusion reactors, you encounter a large group of rowdy Delta marines beating one another! Upon spotting you, they run up to you and start punching you aswell! How do you proceed?

3) While moving back to Hydro on LV from TFort, you see a deceased marine! Upon closer inspection, the marine's heart appears too damaged to allow defibrillation attempts, but the marine is not DNR! Hydroponics is also full of wounded, but no KIA's, and lacks any skilled medics. You lack surgery tools, and the Medical Dome is off-limits. What do you do?
    Claire O'Reilly, the vitriolic Corporate Liaison!
    Cassie, the helpful Synthetic!
    Kre'Zuhl, the self-declared greatest worshipper of Thardha!

HRP Main to the Bone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy Anderut! I appreciate you taking the time to post, and doubly so am thankful that you included the opening. I only recently remade my forum account as I don't visit the forums particularly often!

Quote Originally Posted by Anderut22 View Post
    Now, regarding the questions. The Combat Scenarios is a tad short for my tastes; while it clearly follows the tenets of short and sweet, it doesn't exactly say how you will behave when faced with hostiles. It would've been wiser to provide some examples and speak more about each typical Combat Scenario more in-depth!
    This is a perfectly fair point. I was wary of providing too lengthy of a statement because it explicitly asks for a "short and sweet" answer, but I think allowing players and reviewers to propose situations is a great way to provide more clear examples of behaviour, as they're more prone to vary!

One reason I decided to be short on the dialogue section was because the story was in narrative form, which is also intended to portray the synth's verbiage and dialect. I've deliberately toned down this application as opposed to the prior in accordance with feedback, and will ensure I am careful with how much dialect I choose to use. There's specific terms to use for some rolesto help provide consistency: The Commander may be his majesty, higher officers are "lord" or "lady" and all officer personnel down to squad leaders would be prefixed with "Sir... [name here]" to show mannerisms.

Q .1
    1) Under the Captain's orders, you are proceeding with a marine offensive into the LV caves! Suddenly, a Lurker and a Runner pounce you and attack you! You are armed with the Captain's personal Telescopic Baton. What do you do?
    As per the code, when you’re engaged in combat, you should ensure the threat disengages. Your main goal in defence is preservation of the self or a defenceless marine. I believe the proper course of action would be to perform a retreat towards marine forces. If I’m around a frontal assault force, there’s no reason for me to engage in combat. On the frontlines, synthetics are expressly inclined to avoid conflict.

However, as a caveat, you are allowed to defend yourself if found alone or in a small group “incapable of effectively defending themselves.” This does not imply an active combat presence, but rather a defensive stance to protect defenceless personnel.
    Q .2
    2) While proceeding to Engineering to perform a routine-check on the fusion reactors, you encounter a large group of rowdy Delta marines beating one another! Upon spotting you, they run up to you and start punching you aswell! How do you proceed?
    When dealing with humans, a synthetic should always strive for non-lethal alternatives. Especially with USCM personnel, a synthetic should never cause bodily harm to a marine. It states that “a threat within the bounds of Marine Law, [the synth] can physically defend themselves or other innocents by subduing the threat non-lethally.”

I believe the proper response would be to exfiltrate myself from the immediate scene, attempt a verbal defusal of the situation, and alert military police personnel. If some of the deltas are perceived to be innocent, such as by not-engaging in combat and crying for help, it would be my duty to attempt to subdue the aggressors non-lethally, such as through disarms or the use of policing equipment.

Q .3
    While moving back to Hydro on LV from TFort, you see a deceased marine! Upon closer inspection, the marine's heart appears too damaged to allow defibrillation attempts, but the marine is not DNR! Hydroponics is also full of wounded, but no KIA's, and lacks any skilled medics. You lack surgery tools, and the Medical Dome is off-limits. What do you do?
    As they’re unable to be defibrillated, bringing them to hydroponics would not be useful if there are no doctors capable of restoring his heart. As I possess no tools and the medical dome is off limits, the best course of action would be to bring him to hydroponics then make a decision based on context:

If I had no current orders or pressing concerns, I believe it would be impertinent that I strap the marine to a roller bed (if possessed) and bring him to the dropship. Alternatively, if med evacuation is presently available, I would alert them to a max priority case. Once he is secured onboard the dropship, I would alert medical personnel (if they were not busy) or bring the patient up myself.

If however I had a pressing issue and there were other wounded to assist, I believe the best course of action would be to get the patient in the capable hands of a marine already travelling the el-zee or med evacuate him, preferring the latter. It may be useful to provide them with a roller bed. I would likewise alert medical in this instance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions! Let me tell you what I think about the answers!

Q. 1:

10/10 answer! It is sufficiently detailed, and showcases your deep understanding of the Synth Guidelines. I thoroughly enjoy the fact that you took your time to speak about the fact that Synthetics, under no circumstances, may engage in combat on the Frontlines! It's a common mistake found within the Whitelisted Synthetic ranks, and it is rather hard to avoid aswell!

Q. 2:

Perfect answer! Just remember that Synthetics cannot use the Taser, as it is considered, code-wise, a ranged weapon.

Q. 3:

I wanted to check if you're knowledgeable about Ghetto Surgery here! LV's Hydroponics Dome is very special since, most of the time, it contains all the items you need to perform a Heart Regeneration (cheesy choice of words, I know, but it sounds better than Heart Repair, right?) Surgery! You can easily access a glass shard, and a hatchet; the rest of the Ghetto Surgery tools are found in your toolbelt, and if for some reason you lack engineering tools you may find living or dead Engineers who can spare you a Crowbar, a Screwdriver, a Wrench and a Blowtorch!

However, the answer you've provided is great, and your chosen plan of action is efficient enough to give the marine a second chance. Just remember that, if you decide to use MedEVAC, it'd be wise to tell the PO to land as soon as the marine is picked up, to maximise their chances!

You've provided excellent answers to all of my questions, and I also enjoy the extra clarification you've given, regarding the dialogue. I enjoy this type of clarification since, unlike other applications, it is constructive, since it builds upon the application's foundations and clarifying them, not additive, which would mean providing extra ideas not found in the original application.

Overall, assuming you do not abuse your quirk, I consider this a quite good application! You're a long-time player, and you surely know the mechanics. Just remember to read up on some of the extra things you can do as a Synthetic, such as Ghetto Surgery!

It's a +1 from me, and I hope I'll see Joan of the Almayer soon enough!
    Claire O'Reilly, the vitriolic Corporate Liaison!
    Cassie, the helpful Synthetic!
    Kre'Zuhl, the self-declared greatest worshipper of Thardha!

HRP Main to the Bone

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read your story before and it was fine. I personally have no issues with the quirk as I believe you are capable of handling it. You answered the application questions well along with the ones from Andypeanut. I see no reason not to give this a +1
    I play as Dawson Hook and Brad.

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Story was short and sweet how, just how I like them.

Quirk is cool, You have never been a problem player so everything in here seems to check out.

+1

Whitelisted Synthetic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty good story, plus a pretty good individual, I believe you can handle playing as a synthetic of this nature, as Jo said, so here's a +1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good story, good player and competent as well. Good luck Joan. +1

Community Mentor
    11-14-2019

Retired Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good app, quirk is unique and I remember your last app: you definitely improved the quirk to the point is not obnoxious and in the way. I know you're a fantastic roleplay and can do support roles. Nothing else to add.

+1
    Former staff, also former Synthetic senator.

Now just a shitposter and lurker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are a competent player and you know what you need to do as different roles. So +1