User Tag List

Thread: How do I melee without getting my shit wrecked?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I melee without getting my shit wrecked?

I tend to end up playing more ranged strains because it seems like trying to get in close to marines will end up with me dead most of the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's some tips:

1) Never pounce on a marine standing next to other marines, you are instantly dead if one has a buckshot shotgun, or even a masterkey shotgun on a rifle.

2) Always try to go in with the support of other xenos, by yourself you mostly just slash someone two or three times then have to spend a minute healing.

3) There is a short cooldown of 0.5 seconds or so when clicking, don't spam click, do precise targeted clicks once every 0.5 seconds while you are on a square next to someone with your mouse on them.

4) Always be on the look out for any opportunity. If the queen has joined and is about to scream, dont run and slash twice then heal for a minute, wait for her and get off 10 free slashes on disabled marines before they even recover from queen's scream. If a flamer has spread flames on the battlefield feel free to push marines into the flames, If you see medics are treating patients behind the lines without any barricades, pounce in and drag off an unconscious marine before the medics have time to drop their pill bottles and pull out their weapons. If a prae is running in and doing acid sprays, support them and get off some easy slashes on downed marines when they do it, if marines are hanging around just outside the range of a boiler gas cloud, step forward from it and pull a marine into it before they have time to react. If marines pass by a table you can hide under, tackle the last marine in a group and get off 5-6 slashes before fleeing without losing any health.

Basically you should always be looking at what is happening on the battlefield and thinking "Ok, what here can I use to give me some kind of advantage."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a marine main, these are the things that make it hard for me to survive

1. If I'm alone I'm fucked.
    2. Running around me in circles, clicking the right tile is hard ok.
    3. Slashing my hands, if I can't hold a gun then I can't shoot you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by juliansl View Post
    As a marine main, these are the things that make it hard for me to survive

1. If I'm alone I'm fucked.
    2. Running around me in circles, clicking the right tile is hard ok.
    3. Slashing my hands, if I can't hold a gun then I can't shoot you.
    Piggy backing off this, playing both sides really helps a lot because both become more predictable while fighting. Like knowing bad crushers will repeat the same line of tiles over and over helps make them easier to kill as a marine.

Having said that, sparring as a marine helped me considerably with melee. Thankfully, as long as it doesn't disrupt the match there's no ooc roles against it, and the alamayer "gym" has a ring. Defender is the most forgiving t1 to practice with, or go runner if you wanna go real fast and do more hit and run attacks
    Goosen Dagen-casual marine

Ancient Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turn off directional
    Keep moving after pouncing
    Don't run in predictable patterns
    Play ancient runner and get used to speed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    turn off directional attack
    it tends to work janky on melee when you attack on a diagonal

learn weapon/target priority, esp in groups
    ex) if ur 1v2 and theres a guy with a m41a and 1 w/a shotgun, u target the shotgun because if u target the m41 the shotguns gonna blow you up, while u can at least take a hit from the m41
    bigger groups have more complex priority but in general it goes like:
    shotgun/scout spec/smartgun/flamers/other specs/everything else
    shotguns are visible even when holstered, they're just gonna whip it out and assblast you

dont move in a straight line + dont go directly for the target
    mostly applies to groups, if you swerve back n' forth in front of them it burns through their ammo and makes their brain stop working

chill in a spot, wait for 1 boi to come by and just bop em, if its more than 1 person let them go by unmolested til u see a loner

just a reminder, it is fine to fail to slash at least once if you took too much damage
    and it is just as fine to get only 1 slash in before having to retreat, don't get greedy with em

be more hesitant to use lurkers pounce (against groups)
    be less hesitant to use runners pounce (in general)