User Tag List

View Poll Results: What do you think is the best alternative to calling Predators "Jamaicans"?

Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hunters

25 13.97%
  • Spooks

23 12.85%
  • Crocs

4 2.23%
  • Lizardmen

4 2.23%
  • Unidentified Enemy Combatants

20 11.17%
  • Chrome-Domes

9 5.03%
  • Boogeymen

10 5.59%
  • Headhunters

14 7.82%
  • Just "Predators"

30 16.76%
  • Natives

16 8.94%
  • I prefer calling them "Jamaicans", and choose to ignore the implications

106 59.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Denote "Jamaicans" in reference to Predators as unacceptably LRP on-par with the Xeno

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Denote "Jamaicans" in reference to Predators as unacceptably LRP on-par with the Xeno

Just put a ban on calling Predators "Jamaicans". Do you know what was stupid? Calling Runners "Red Dogs!" during First Contact. But you know what?
    1. They were red.
    2. They were vaguely dog-like in shape and mannerisms.

Now, let us compare a Yautja

- to the two people someone will think of when the word "Jamaica" comes to mind.

That's not even the end of the utter lack of comparisons between the two.

The Jamaican People Popular in Western Media. Yautja as are presented in Colonial Marines.
    Wear bright colors. Wear camouflage and metal.
    Have somewhat oval-shaped faces. Wear masks, marines couldn't tell.
    Tend to have leaner bodies. Muscled, burly. Soon to be 48x48 sprites opposed to human's 32x32.
    Have brown skin, doesn't crack. Have green, roughly patterned and quilled skin.
    Jamaican men average 5'7". Regularly surpass 7'.
    Speak English or a form of Creole. Near-incomprehensible l337-5p34k.
    Soldiers wear blot camouflage, with berets and assault rifles (not unlike Dutch's Dozen). Fishnets, masks, and *use swords and lasers*.
    Often stereotyped as marijuana enthusiasts. Won't even take a chocolate bar off a marine.
    Highest population on their bright, tropical island. Frequently seen at night in jungles, space stations, deserts, tundras, and would have been on an island *if we had any in the map rotation.*
    Pretty chill. Currently covered in three different species' blood as I write this, probably.
    AND LASTLY
    Have a rich and storied history of cultural hairstyles, from a variety of ornate to simple braids, curls, *including* dreadlocks. Have fucking smooth tentacles sticking out the back of their heads.

Calling Predators "Jamaicans" is lazy, racist, and inaccurate. It's not even that a few marines say it, it's to the extent that the command staff of a multi-ethnic battalion that has soldiers from all over the earth and even more planets - including not just Jamaica, but Greenland (home of indigenous Inuits), Germany, Japan, and every other hunk of rock - use the term when referring to Predators. Even when the most racist caricatures we know, Juro (Who rike-as to carr for kamikaze strike-as) and Windhealer (Or, should I say, Brave War-Chief with heart of the mighty bear-spirit), they keep such stereotypes to themselves, or use fun terms for the xenomorphs (like "filthy dogs" or "xenomingos"/"wanaxingos", respectively).

This is perhaps one of the more flattering and professional screenshots of Command refferring to "Jamaicans". It doesn't even say they're kill on sight.

What else could we possibly call them?
    • Natives. They appear outwardly primitive, and some marine ignorance would make sense here. Plus, some people already call them Natives to begin with.
    • Hunters (as we observe them hunting marines and xenos).
    • Spooks/Ghosts/Wraiths (a shape in the dark, moving almost imperceptibly).
    • Crocs (Rough skins and often aggressive).
    • Lizardmen (Again, rough green skin).
    • UECs (Unidentified Enemy Combatants, we already have FOB, JTAC, HEDP, OB, UPP/CLF, ERT and more internalized, it is the marines after all).
    • Chrome-Domes (on behalf of the masks).
    • Boogeymen (While we're approaching this as First Contact, there have likely been other stories of something coming out of the jungle and dragging off marines in the night on other planets).
    • Headhunters. A bunch of autistic lizards who talked about "yeeting the talls" and "getting the tendies for mommy" could manage this pre-RP crackdown, and the Predators couldn't even rip their heads off.
    Last edited by Call me Arty; 11-13-2019 at 07:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact that ChengChan voted for "Jamaicans" and has an iron cross for an avatar speaks volumes.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreadlocks are the closest resemblance. Everyone who was never interested in Jamaican culture knows them only for Rasta Weed Dreadlocks. This is why they are called "Jamaicans".

However, I RP'ing ex-Brotherhood member call them simply "Mutants". They fit nicely as replacement for the Forgotten at every level. As Kane once said: "Never say 'Trust Us' to a mutant".

Manager Emeritus & System Administrator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to Acid Goop, it's a fantastic shitpost, but you need to keep shitposting in the appropriate sections.
    TrialModerator from 12/15/2018 to 12/29/2018
    Moderator from 12/29/2018 to 6/29/2019
    TrialAdmin from 6/29/2019 to 7/29/2019
    Admin from 7/29/2019 to 6/17/2021
    Manager from 6/17/2021 to ???
    ManagerEmeritus from ??? to ???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m between Jamaicans and Predators. If we were to ever go a more hrp route for the server than we could go with a hrp term. But they kinda look like jamaicans tbqhimhodesu.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is quality stuff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Call me Arty View Post
    The fact that ChengChan voted for "Jamaicans" and has an iron cross for an avatar speaks volumes.
    I supposed to change but it won't me

Community Mentor
    11-14-2019

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimreaperx15 View Post
    Moved to Acid Goop, it's a fantastic shitpost, but you need to keep shitposting in the appropriate sections.
    . . . this literally wasn't a shitpost and actually really bothers me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimreaperx15 View Post
    . . . this literally wasn't a shitpost and actually really bothers me.

My brother is half black, I grew up in a poor town, so thanks to American economics a lot of my friends and rolemodels growing up were black. I've heard the "nigger" jokes from white kids, I've heard people call them "darkies" and wonder why I was so fucking belligerent about it. I have heard people find the littlest ways to try and defend cops who've shot unarmed black men. Not the clever or logical ones, shit like "maybe his wallet looked like a gun in his pocket, he shouldn't have put it in his front pocket". So maybe I'm a lot more in tune with this than most of you.

It's that upbringing and some common decency that makes me feel actual disgust when I see somebody say "Jamaican!", and then for everybody to run after them shooting. I take issue to people bragging about how they looted a dead Jamaican. I take issue to Captains, Executive Officers, even fucking Staff Officers - people in positions of power - telling a militarized force to "kill all Jamaicans on sight." Maybe I just see something wrong with that because of my liberal snowflake fee-fees, that's got to be it.

"Oh, it's a shitpost, he can't be serious!"
    Maybe my wording isn't essay quality here, but it's not the first time I've brought this issue up. Every time, it's "because they have dreds" despite the tendrils barely having any similarity to them beyond length, "or because it's what we've always called them". I thought that if I put it in a funny, exaggerated manner with plenty of pictures, then maybe a couple jackasses would pick up why it's so annoying and disappointing that some servers have had to ban slur-adjacent space racism like "ligger" because some of us had to take it too far, and had to excercise our god-given right to put down and harass minorities in the spehss gaem because all those libtards in real life won't stand for it, will they?
    Last edited by Call me Arty; 11-12-2019 at 06:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only reason they are called Jamaicans is because they have some sort of dreadlocks. Which makes it incredibly stupid, but also not racist at all.
    This is nowhere close to other potentially racist stereotypes we have to deal with. Unlike players roleplaying stupid characters, this is entirely withint RP and our pseudo lore, and typically something a marine would do.
    I think it's fine.