User Tag List

View Poll Results: What do you think is the best alternative to calling Predators "Jamaicans"?

Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hunters

25 13.97%
  • Spooks

23 12.85%
  • Crocs

4 2.23%
  • Lizardmen

4 2.23%
  • Unidentified Enemy Combatants

20 11.17%
  • Chrome-Domes

9 5.03%
  • Boogeymen

10 5.59%
  • Headhunters

14 7.82%
  • Just "Predators"

30 16.76%
  • Natives

16 8.94%
  • I prefer calling them "Jamaicans", and choose to ignore the implications

106 59.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Denote "Jamaicans" in reference to Predators as unacceptably LRP on-par with the Xeno

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silencer_pl View Post
    Calling Aliens, Aliens is also metagaming.

Seriously this is Walking Dead avoiding the word zombie levels of bad. Don't do this to yourselves.
    What does it mean "don't do this to yourselves"? CM is "supposed" to be Medium Role Play level so you, as a player in game, are supposed to act on a knowledge your character has. In-da-lore lowly marines don't know that preds exist, its their first contact. So "Predator" and "Yautja" falls off from the terms you can use.

"Aliens" is just a term for something foreign, particularly about something from space, so its legit. The funny thing is - Nobody calls benos "Aliens". Not once in my few years of playing I have noticed that term being used.

Walking Dead avoids "zombie" just for the sake of branding and to be snug about it like "Heeeeeeeyyyy... That's not a 'ZUMBIE' or whatever, its 'Walker' ughhhhhh!"

You want to be LRP? Then there are few other combat servers where you can freely call everything by any word, even those forbidden and deemed racist.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    holy fuck this community never knows when to shut the fuck up
    Vibing as: Dismas Hind.

THE BOIS (And gals)
    https://pastebin.com/DHCmg4nM

Shoutouts to Manezinho for the pixelart

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Me_Bigsnail View Post
    holy fuck this community never knows when to shut the fuck up
    They don't take orders out of a megaphone held by someone legally allowed to paint their armor Alpha-red using their brainbox, and it's shocking when they can't take a hint?

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Call me Arty View Post
    They don't take orders out of a megaphone held by someone legally allowed to paint their armor Alpha-red using their brainbox, and it's shocking when they can't take a hint?
    Beat, beat, beat, kill, kill, kill, stop them all 'till they lose their will, shoot first and ask questions later, a gun is the greatest negotiatior!

Senior Admin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CABAL View Post
    What does it mean "don't do this to yourselves"? CM is "supposed" to be Medium Role Play level so you, as a player in game, are supposed to act on a knowledge your character has. In-da-lore lowly marines don't know that preds exist, its their first contact. So "Predator" and "Yautja" falls off from the terms you can use.
    Ah yes. We must avoid calling predators predators, because even though they stalk, kill they pray and live for the hunt, its a bad nono word. Even though the term is LITERALLY used in all fiction, movies etc as a simple identifier for the race. Can't say the bad word, that's lrp.

Also, I find the notion that the USMC isn't at least passingly aware of a race that has been fucking with humans since at least the 80s of the XX century somewhat odd. This "predators are an unknown" thing sounds hollow considering what they do and how little they care about humans.

"Aliens" is just a term for something foreign, particularly about something from space, so its legit. The funny thing is - Nobody calls benos "Aliens".
    And yet when you use the term Alien to describe a fictional being, what is one of the literally first things that come to mind?

Also, we call them Xenos. Which is literally Alien (or outsider, or stranger), but in greek. Plenty of people call them Aliens. Nobody calls them what they technically should be called, which is Xenomorphs. Nobody gets butthurt over this.

Do you know why? Because that's a common, acceptable shorthand that everyone recognizes.

And yet with Predators, where we have an equally recognizable and not racist term, we do these mind numbingly dumb mental gymnastics of preventing calling a spade a spade is how we end up with Jamaican which is way more grating, dumb and racist than Predator. You know it. I know it. Most of the server knows it.

Walking Dead avoids "zombie" just for the sake of branding and to be snug about it like "Heeeeeeeyyyy... That's not a 'ZUMBIE' or whatever, its 'Walker' ughhhhhh!"
    Wrong. Its a world building thing that's particularly stupid. They literally try to explain it in-universe and its bad, so bad.

Also, wtf branding? Lol? They did that as a way of explaining why a modern society would not recognize a zombie outbreak from them zombie horror movies.

You want to be LRP? Then there are few other combat servers where you can freely call everything by any word, even those forbidden and deemed racist.
    Go ahead, tell me I'm LRP more.

Racism. The pinnacle of High RP.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ehhh... SJW aren't worth my time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Aliens" is just a term for something foreign, particularly about something from space, so its legit. The funny thing is - Nobody calls benos "Aliens". Not once in my few years of playing I have noticed that term being used.

Isnt a predator an apt description though for the yautja as well tho

Dev Team Manager Stan_albatross's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ObsidianCrow View Post
    Isnt a predator an apt description though for the yautja as well tho
    quote the 2018 predator film

"that's not a predator, that's a sport hunter"

personally I think Jamaican is preferable, I don't care if a marine calls me predator, but Yautja is extremely LRP.
    Karl Karlsson, the man (and sometimes Captain)
    Maxwell, the synth
    Enhath'vot Guan-Dha, the predator
    Also a feature Coder & CM's Maintainer Team Manager

Timeline :
    Spoiler Spoiler:

[CENTER]Retired Synth councilman, forever a member of IO gang

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was gonna write something but this just isnt worth it.

TLDR: no
    Last edited by Gnorse; 01-12-2021 at 09:25 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, as one of the resident Council people for the Yautja Whitelist, I think I can answer this.

Hunters? Fine.

Jamaicans? Also fine.

Cloakers, Natives, Headhunters, "Those fucking invisible assholes?" Fine.

Predators? Skirting the line a bit, but if I remember correctly, the staff aren't going to crack down on it from what I can tell. If you really want to use it, I recommend asking staff first.

Yautja? No, it wouldn't make sense for either xenos or marines to be referring to them as such. Yautja the word is via their language, so unless someone told them about it in-game during a round, it wouldn't make sense for either side to know the vocabulary.

Great. Now can we take this thread behind the shed and Old Yeller it to death?
    Usually playing as Darwin 'D.J.' Jefferson, PFC (Private: Flare Carrier), or Smartgunner almost always out of ammo. Occasionally an RO who yearns for death, dealing with rampant jackassery of his coworkers.
    Against my better judgement I decided to start making Youtube videos involving Colonial Marines. Channel

Yautja Council member as of March 17th - Now