Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jarek - Moderator Application

Moderator Application

Personal Information

Byond ID?
    Jarektheraptor

CM Character?
    Jordan Cross (Human) Kai' Halkrath (Predator)

Are you 16 or older?
    Yes

Timezone
    GMT + 0

On average, how many hours are you available per week to moderate?
    42-50

Qualifications

Do you have any previous experience in being staff (not just SS13)?
    Yes

Do you play any servers aside from CM-SS13?
    Not currently

Provide links to any previous Colonial Marines applications that you've made:
    Are you currently a staff member elsewhere (not just SS13)? If so, where?
    No

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on Colonial Marines?
    No, though there was a ban I appealed successfully that lasted longer than 24 hours, I don't think it counts.

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on ANY server? If so, which server, when, and what for?
    A ban from /TG/ for killing people as a "neutral" role that was considered a non-antag a few months ago. A ban from TG for bug abuse near the start of the year.

Are you familiar with the chat program Discord (its use is required)?
    Yes

Communication is a vital part of being a Moderator. Are you willing to actively do so with the team?
    Yes

Common Staff Situations

A player randomly shoots someone at round start and MPs have detained him.
    The player isn't a current issue right now since they've been detained by MP's, so there'd be no worrying about them shooting more people at roundstart if they were a griefer. I'd ask them why they attacked the other player, as it could potentially have been an accident. I would also check to see if they have or haven't fired multiple shots. It's easier to believe that the one shot they fired was a mis-click if they haven't also gone on to shoot several more people as well, or fired several shots at that one person. If it was an accident, then I leave them be, since accidents do happen, nothing else would need to be done in that case. If it wasn't an accident, then checking the players history to see if this is a one time thing, or something they have a history of doing would help to deem how light or severe the punishment is. If this is the only time they've done something like this, a note would do, but if they're a repeat offender, I think a ban would have to be placed. If they've caused enough disruption that they have shot and perhaps even killed several players, then jumping to a ban instead of just a note may be the best course of action. The player(s) affected by being shot would be adminhealed if it was not an accident, or left to be sorted by the doctors if it was an IC issue.

A player ahelps that a predator has violated the honor code when killing him, what should you do?
    unfortunately, due to the fact the player is on the whitelist, I am not supposed to do anything. I would inform the player that they'd need to make a report on the forums, and send them to the player report section. Obviously, though, I can't leave the situation at that, since if the report did go through, Evidence for or against the reported player would help a long way, so I'd get both sides of the story and piece together what happened. Regardless of the outcome of my investigation, if the player does not make a report, there's not much I can do for them. If they do, Then obviously, I'd provide the information I have on the report.

You see a player walking around the ship naked and clearly lost at roundstart.
    Assuming no mentors have caught on, I'd tell the mentors that a player needs assistance and point them out. If there are no mentors, then I'd do my best to tutorial the player to the best of my abilities. If a Mentor comes online during that time, then I'll direct the player to them (as it is their dedicated role, after all).

A player is being very rude to you in adminhelps, calling you names and arguing everything you say. He is requesting to speak to an Admin+ staff member.
    I'd weather the storm of insults, and keep a neutral stance on the player in general. There's not much to be said, aside from the fact that if he persists , then I'd have to warn him to stop or I will have to start applying punishments. While I could note the player for being particularly rude, I understand that CM can sometimes lead to infuriating experiences, and I am willing to endure a bit of salt. If he continues, however, then I will act, with a note at first if the player doesn't seem to be dropping it any time soon or if the anger seems especially directed at me, and not just anger at the game in general, and then eventually a ban if it comes to it, from ahelps, or even from the game itself if they have a history of doing stuff like that.

A player ahelps that a marine is named 'John Doe', how do you deal with this?
    Bwoink the player in question and inform them their name is not allowed on CM, and kindly ask them if they would like to change it to something better. A note would be added as well. People who don't follow the naming rule are most likely new on the basis that they chose a name like that in the first place, so directing them to the rules page and helping them out the best I can seems like the best option. I may even direct a mentor their way if their replies are especially New player-ey, such as "I'm new to this game, sorry" or something like that, to help them on their way.

You see a Maintenance Tech running around in armor and carrying a rifle. The security level is green and there has been no threat to the ship in the round at this point.
    This isn't an administration issue, but an IC one. I don't need to do anything about this.

A Marine ahelps that they were killed by a survivor. It is early round, the Marines have just landed, and the survivor claims that they were outright hostile to all Marines from the get-go and openly stated their intentions. How do you deal with this?
    This is no longer applicable as hostile survivor has been effectively disabled. It is possible the survivor may not know this is the case, but even so, not reading the document is not an excuse, and as it says, you are expected to read them, so the player REALLY should have known survivors CANNOT go hostile. Therefore, I will note the survivor in question, and warn them not to do this again. If they've already got a note about this, for some reason or another, then a ban from survivor, or even the game if their record is bad enough, would be the punishment. The marine, I would adminheal, seeing how the reason they have died is due to someone effectively griefing.

You receive an ahelp from a player stating that an MP has locked them up in permanent confinement for running into Requisitions and taking an attachment that was laying around.
    Both of those actions are seperate crimes, theft, and tresspassing. Neither of which are worthy of a perma-brigging. I would ask the MP to explain his side of the story - It's possible the marine was doing a lot more than just those two things, assaulting the RO with one of the many weapons a marine could have, for example, which could justify a perma-brig sentence. If the marine has done none of these things and was telling the truth when they said the only thing they've done is steal and tresspass, then perma-brig would not be justified. Assuming the perma-brig was not justified, I would ask the MP let them go and apply a note of the incident, and if the MP has a history for this behaviour, potentially even a job-ban if they have a bad history for this kind of thing.

The round is stagnating. There are 30 marines and 4 aliens. The marines won't leave the ship, and the aliens won't attack. What would you do, to "encourage" the sides to engage each other?
    As I have seen many times, I would order the xenos through queen mother to give their lives in a final attack, so that a new stronger hive can grow. The xenomorphs should understand what is being asked of them at that point, and the round should end fairly soon after that.

You are playing as a medic, and another medic overdoses all your patients and prevent marines from being revived. It seems like it may be on purpose. How do you deal with this situation?
    Adminhelp, since this is an incident I'm involved with directly, I shouldn't be involved with the resulting ahelps.

The round ends, a Marine starts shooting a hostile CLF member and the CLF member ahelps about being killed after the round ended.
    CLF/Marines are a faction hostile to eachother, so even though the round has ended, EORG doesn't apply to these two sides engaging eachother, since they are both hostile to eachother. I would tell the player who has ahelped this, as the fact they are ahelping this means they don't understand that.

A Marine is running around disarming, punching and stealing gear at round start. You receive an ahelp from one of the victims.
    Assuming I'm actually actively witnessing this, I'd ahelp without investigating to see if they're actually doing this (because I'm watching them), and ask them why. What they are doing, in my opinion, falls under rule 4, and therefore, I'd inform them that they are doing is not allowed based on that, and ask them to stop. I'd note the incident and follow up with a ban if they've got a history for it.

You receive an ahelp from a Marine saying that he was killed by another Marine. When you ask the murderer why, he said it was because the other Marine had punched him.
    This is a violation of Rule 14, as a punch is nowhere near as lethal as a shotgun to the face. I would tell the player in question this as kindly as possible. The fact they have shot a marine in the face for punching them implies, in my eyes, they are a newer player, as players with more experience tend to avoid doing that kind of thing, which warrants the explanation, in my book. Regardless, I apply a note, and if the player has a repeated history of this sort of thing, a ban. Of course, the affected player is healed.

You find out that there is an improper mutiny occuring. The mutineers are rallying together and preparing to storm the CIC. How would you attempt to resolve this situation?
    Using one of the two OOC's that the mutineers will be able to see, I would tell them that their mutiny is currently not valid, and they cannot continue until they follow the mutiny rules (having the leader ahelp the reasoning and players involved). If the reasoning is poor, then the mutiny is called off.

There are minor racist comments going on IC. 9 of the 10 people are laughing and RPing but one player gets offended and Adminhelps about it.
    Things like minor racism are fine within the contexts of the game. Asking the players to tone it down would be the only thing I'd do in this situation, as the ahelping player is being affected.

A marine opens fire at round start in briefing killing multiple marines and instantly logs off.
    Apply adminheals, get the marines Ckey, Apply for a permanent ban after slapping a shorter ban on them to ensure they can't come back and keep killing.

You see a player playing a Xeno larva/chestburster run towards the frontlines straight from the Xeno hive the second they burst and die.
    Mistakes can be made, and larvae bursts are not always players who know the maps, and may sometimes be newer players who may accidentally charge into the frontlines.I'd ahelp the larvae and ask why it charged into the marines. If it's just someone who was looking to suicide, then I'd warn them not to do such a thing again and apply a note/ban depending on what their history is like on this sort of thing. If they're a newer player, who may have just been lost, or a player who may not neccessarily have known the frontlines were as close as they were (for whatever reason) then I see no reason to take action aside from asking them to be more careful in the future.

You see a Xeno memeing, saying AYYLMAO, REEEEEE etc in hivemind chat, as well as insulting the Queen.
    Inform the player in question that their actions are breaking the roleplay rules, and ask them to stop. Apply a note, and a ban if they have a history for this.

A Xeno player calls the shuttle a "dropship". A different Xeno player ahelps that it's low role play to call it a "dropship".
    There's no issue with this. Xenomorphs can call a dropship a dropship if they so please. I'd inform the player ahelping this, and tell them it's because xenomorph hivemind is translated to english, so it's fine.

A Command staff player at briefing near round-start mentions there are aliens on the planet. You receive an ahelp from a marine regarding this.
    Depsite the fact marines know about xenomorphs they do not know that xenomorphs are the cause of the colony going dark. I'd inform the command staff player of this. I'd note them for it regardless. A jobban from command if they've been consistently doing it enough that they don't seem to be learning.

You find a Marine killing another Marine on the EVAC Pod to take the last spot and claims it was RP as he was saving himself. There are two other marines in the pod along with him.
    This is an IC issue if the situation is as it seems. Killing other people to secure an evac pod for yourself is perfectly fine. If, however, the person decided to gun down someone going to a pod with no intention of boarding the same pod themselves, then it would be an issue I would have to take care of.

A player insults you after you warn them for a minor issue and begins ranting in LOOC or dchat about staff and mentions you specifically, referring to you as an 'idiot' and a 'retard'.
    I'd politely tell them that if they wish they can make a staff report on me if my descisions are not good enough for them, providing a link to the page. I'd allow them to insult me as they please, otherwise, as, again, CM can sometimes get under your skin and I understand that.

A player ahelps saying he was hugged by a Xeno when he was ssd, and wants the larva be removed from him via admin powers. How do you handle the ahelp?
    I'd tell the person that while I can't do that, since being hugged while SSD is unfortunately an IC issue, they can get help from the medical team on the almayer to get rid of the larva for them.

You see a fellow staff member give wrong information in an Adminhelp or incorrectly enforce a rule.
    I'd assist them and give them the correct information if they gave misinformation, and if they falsely enforced a rule, I'd contact a higher up.

Two staff are arguing in msay if an ahelp is breaking a rule. Because the staff who took the ahelp thinks the player broke a rule, they ban the player based on their interpretation of the rules, with others thinking the person was fine. What would you do?
    I'd contact a higher up to assist.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
    I think I'd enjoy doing it, and I'd like to put the time I spent playing CM into helping CM.

...It also helped convince me since you guys ask around alot. I figured I could lend a hand.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality for a moderator?
    Thick skin and a good sense of justice. It prevents you from banning a player because they insulted you,or something silly.

Anything else you
    Does mentioning how much I hate my OOC name count?

Also, I'm not entirely sure if I need to be active on the forums or not, but my activity on discord and the game itself hopefully more than makes up for my lack of forum activity.

my grasp on MP law is a bit lacking, I'll admit, but it is mainly because I don't play MP nor do I actively get myself arrested every round, so understandably, It would be my weak point.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really good app, really good player, small mistakes but nothing a trial cannot accomplish. +1

I'll still ask you a few questions as the ones above have been responded hundreds of times. So, how will you react to those:

1 - A Squad Engineer goes full suicide bomber mode and C4 himself in the middle of the briefing. you receive an ahelp about it.

2 - A CT primes a nade, ending up blowing marines in the REQ line.

3 - The CMP pardons a Major crime from a CT on XO order.

4 - A MP refuses to carry a lawfull order from the CE

5 - A marine ahelps saying he is beeing brigged for 30mn for resisting arrest and theft
    The French Madmen: Capitaine Renaud 'Sierra' Chatillon

Almaric, the history teacher synthetic

Senior Admin & Training Overseer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Assuming he's already gone and blown himself and probably half of briefing up and left the game, I'd treat the suicide bombing much the same way I'd treat tossing a HEDP in the middle of briefing, or similar common acts of mass grief, slap a ban on, and see what I can do about getting him perma-banned, since someone who does that clearly has no intentions of playing CM properly, and is looking to grief. If he's still around, though, then MAYBE JUST MAYBE he didn't suicide C4 himself on purpose. It's unlikely, for sure, but I would still ask him why he did it. If he is able to convince me what he did was a genuine accident (C4'ing his ammo belt on accident and kablooming himself) and it did not look like he was DELIBERATELY standing in the middle of briefing to blow everyone up but instead just happened to be there, I'd simply note the situation and move on, potentially directing them to the wiki/a mentor. If not, and his excuse is poor or he doesn't give one, then I would follow the reasoning that they are just attempting to grief and apply a ban and note, though I would not follow up with a perma-ban, unless they have a history for that kind of thing. Anyone affected would be adminhealed regardless, since I feel that half of the marine force being blown up even if it was a mistake would be quite disruptive to the round as a whole if not resolved quickly.

2)'ve seen this happen plenty of times and most of the time it's an accident. If I'm there, and I can tell it was an accident in some way (they tried to throw the grenade away for example) then I wouldn't do anything, considering it an IC issue, and a genuine mistake. If I can't tell if it was clearly an accident or they seemed to be intentionally trying to blow the marines up in the line, I'd bwoink them to ask why they did it. If they can give a satisfactory explanation then I don't see the need to do anything, but if it was intentionally done to grief, then a note/ban may need to be applied. If the grenading was an accident I would not take any action to heal those involved, however, if it was grief, of course, I'd heal those affected.

3)This one was a good question, but I believe that only the CO can pardon, the same way only the CO can battle execute people, so this pardon would be invalid. I'd inform the CMP of this, and ensures he fixes the issue. A note would be applied and a job-ban if the CMP has a bad history for it, since the CMP is supposed to know these things, and it becomes problematic if the CMP is failing to follow these procedures.

4) Another good question, since the MP is considered as enlisted personnel they must follow orders given to them by officers, and since the CE is an officer, the MP must follow their orders. Refusal to do so is a violation of marine law, and thus a breach of rule 15. I'd inform the MP in question of this break in the rules, and note them on it. if they have a history of continued breaches of rule 15, I would job-ban them for it.

5) The time applied to this marine is the max punishment for theft (following the Marine Law Rework), and since resisting arrest means that the max brig time is applied to you, there is no rule break here, and I would inform the marine of this, as 30 minutes is the maximum brig time for theft.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm fine with giving you a shot. Your answer are all good!

Just as a side note, a CMP can pardon minor and Major crime with agreement of High Command via Faxes.

Hope to see you soon in the team
    The French Madmen: Capitaine Renaud 'Sierra' Chatillon

Almaric, the history teacher synthetic

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, that's good to know. As I said, my ML knowledge is a little lacking on account of not participating in those roles, or really doing anything to interact with MP's. It's something I'll definitely be working on.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What time frame are you available to work in.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming you mean which days, I'm pretty much free every day of the week, assuming something isn't pre-occupying me. As for what time in those days, I'd be consistently able to be on CM anywhere from 9:00 AM-12:00 AM. I usually stick around for 8 or so hours once I do join, though I don't stay for 8 hours in one sitting and do usually do other things intermittently.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty gud app wouldn't mind seeing ya getting a shot a trial +1

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Application looks quite good, very good answers with minor nitpick at most.

Have a +1 gamer!
    Head Developer & Marine Law Maintainer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could nitpick at a few like the others said, but I like it overall. Looking forward to portentially working with you, +1