User Tag List

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Quit enforcing rp on xenos

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scsnv View Post
    Marines don't draw swastikas out of crayon or have 'CUM' or 'RAP3' or the like in their names, nor do they write that stuff out anywhere. If they do, they get bwoinked.

I'm willing to concede Marine RP rules could probably use an update; however, comparing the restrictions that we're placing on xenos to what we have on marines is simply worthless, because they're generally not comparable whatsoever. That's some serious apples to oranges right there.
    And expanding on that, I'm all for if marines above a certain rank shouldn't be complete MEME.
    I do wish to change the roleplay standards rules, and I believe Emerald/Grim/Neth/Dubszor and I will be talking about re-doing rules SOON tm

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, we aren't really arguing for wall/door swastikas, or 18+/ERP identifier rules to be reverted (just keep on hammering those idiots, we're not asking you to stop; nobody in this thread has). We're only asking for the rules of "Xeno LRP" (hence the entire reason for this thread); such as saying REEEE or shitposting in hivemind (not 18+ stuff, just some copypastas and memes here and there); to be lightened or well, removed. As it is right now, marines; especially PFCs; can say whatever the hell they want as long as it's not 18+/ERP/metagaming, while xeno can and will get bwoinked for something as simple as "REEE".

I'm perfectly fine if you remove the LRP rules on both marines and xenos. If people want to have fun, just let them do it. As long as it isn't 18+, I don't really care otherwise.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i stopped playing xeno when bored moderators MOOC / OOC'd about "stop being lowRP and conga lining" when there is literally nothing to do at the start of the round except grab furries (which we'd done already)

enforcing standards when there is no need to because your bored is why xenos are usually silent in hivemind and just big murderhobos in general. why communicate or do anything fun outside of your forced mechanics when a bored mod will jump on you for saying "haha marines suck mega dick" or if you dare grab another xeno and make a conga line when nothing is happening

thats my 2cents on when i used to play xeno a lot. ive said some of the most meme worthy shit on squad radio and no one gave a shit, other times ive said one joke and gotten a warning and note for it, so its not a marine vs xeno problem

its a bored mod trying to flex problem since "RP rules" are so fucking open ended and vague that you can basically do anything as a mod as long as you said they were "being LRP"

just look at admin complaints on notes about LRP and you'll see how drastically different the mods think about what LRP even fucking means

also i don't get in trouble as much as a marine because i play delta squad with fellow memers who aren't big shitters who will report you over saying a single meme over squad radio, whereas memes on hivemind chat is easier to see considering its all chat and shows up in ghost as a separate tab, so bored mods with nothing to do can just ghost and check hivemind for people having fun

CM-SS13 Vice Host
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagile View Post
    snip
    Conga lines aren't stopped out of boredom, but because they are something we explicitly don't allow because it's particularly low RP for xenos to be doing.
    Charles & Arthur Edwinson
    Synth Percival | Artyom
    Yautja Kjhute Luar-ke

Record:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Discord: forest2001#2001

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    REEEEEE! BORED ADMEME JUST RUINS MY FUNNNNNNNN!

Marine memes? SMACK THAT FUCK, HE HAS TO RP, I'M BENO I DON'T BUT HE DOES REEEEEEE! RRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEE!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by forest2001 View Post
    Conga lines aren't stopped out of boredom, but because they are something we explicitly don't allow because it's particularly low RP for xenos to be doing.
    you just proved my point

congratulations

there is no such thing as low RP with xenos because there is no RP to begin with. enforcing a standard when there is none to begin with only happens because mods are bored.

RP with xenos used to be a thing years ago, when shit like first contact was a thing to the point that shooting xenos unless they attacked first was considered metagame and lead to stupid yet funny shit like a Queen and her army being able to enter the (forgot the name of it but the ship before Sulaco, back when a modified Box Station was basically the only map) and use telepathic whisper to communicate with the Commander before betraying them and going out in a blaze of glory

those days are long gone, xenos are relegated to killing machines with pre-progammed abilities and actions they can take depending on their caste, with no divergence allowed

i personally like it this way, but this whole "xenos need to RP" shit is what i find hypocritical and downright dumb when we are way past the time when xenos (and in fact marines as well) actually had to give a damn about roleplay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Swagile I'm sorry but you are wrong. Xeno's can rp, just a majority of them choose not to which is unfortunate.

I am of the mind that the RP rules should be enforced, and I think it adds flavor to the xeno experience, if it wasn't there hive mind would just be more of a cesspool than what it already is, and pretty much just an OOC chat.

Now I personally do not care if you call the tank a turtle or a tank, it really doesn't matter to me. But this is something more on the lines of being a decent human being and just falling in line with what the server is listed as, which is medium RP. Which while you may not role-play...but since you are participating on an RP server, at least respect the people / the fact that some wish to have some type of immersion in their gameplay. I have personally seen people talking about Egypt, iHop, rap, etc in hive mind is which really low rp. Would a xeno know what any of those things are? The answer is no. We have tools already in place to talk about iHop, music, and politics; which is looc. You do not need to use hive mind as another ooc chat. Save hive mind for logical call outs.

I personally would like to see the admins cracking down harder on this jarring chatter in hive mind.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiChii

I personally would like to see the admins cracking down harder on this jarring chatter in hive mind.
    OH MY GOD SOMEONE ACTUALLY GETS IT
    This is the best timeline

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiChii View Post
    @Swagile I'm sorry but you are wrong. Xeno's can rp, just a majority of them choose not to which is unfortunate.

I am of the mind that the RP rules should be enforced, and I think it adds flavor to the xeno experience, if it wasn't there hive mind would just be more of a cesspool than what it already is, and pretty much just an OOC chat.

Now I personally do not care if you call the tank a turtle or a tank, it really doesn't matter to me. But this is something more on the lines of being a decent human being and just falling in line with what the server is listed as, which is medium RP. Which while you may not role-play...but since you are participating on an RP server, at least respect the people / the fact that some wish to have some type of immersion in their gameplay. I have personally seen people talking about Egypt, iHop, rap, etc in hive mind is which really low rp. Would a xeno know what any of those things are? The answer is no. We have tools already in place to talk about iHop, music, and politics; which is looc. You do not need to use hive mind as another ooc chat. Save hive mind for logical call outs.

roleplay is a two way street

it requires the active participation of two parties who are willing to follow the social contract (aka rules) of said roleplay.

for example, if your roleplaying as a stereotypical elf (fucking knife ears) in DnD you would most likely hate humans and love nature. the breaking of the social contract is if you suddenly step out of that character and love humans; you broke the rules and now the other party (whoever your roleplaying with) cannot be fully immersed in the roleplay

the same in CM; there is no roleplay because neither side wishes to follow a social contract. there used to be a enforced social contract in the way of admins banning for things like metagame, etc. and this garnered a more roleplay oriented crowd. this was manageable because CM back in nostromo days was literally 20-30 people, maybe 40 people at best, 60 on a event / weekday. the rules were also there to protect against the failings of the gamemode; because coding wasn't as prevalent, rules had to be made to stop certain actions that would garner a unfair advantage, such as metagame and powergaming

we now get 100 people on average, 150 on a good day, 200 + on events. you cannot possibly enforce such a social contract on so many people, especially with the shitty bay tier 2012 admin panel that im sure is still the one being used even to this day. variable logging, slow game panel, lack of sufficient database(s), etc. the list goes on. just look at /tg/ as an example of good admin tools that are optimized and well curated (such as the LOG button)

on top of that there is nothing really to roleplay. each side has a purpose; to kill each other. there is no alternative objectives. DEFCON tried to be that and failed when it didn't adhere to the sole purpose both sides adhere to; to kill each other. so it got tweaked and now its, while not the best, a more optimal system.

the same thing with xeno rp. xeno RP used to be a thing as i stated because it was manageable and both sides followed a social contract (stricter metagame and powergame rules, lower playerbase making it more manageable to enforce and abide by the rules either through simple player etiquette or through the use of bans), and [VERY IMPORTANTLY!!!!!!] CM was a novel experience back in the day; no one knew shit about the lore because it was still something being built up. PMC's coming to try to capture a Queen with stun batons (back when they KO'd xenos and before it was removed due to powergame) was a fun and great idea. this is no longer the case when its been done 100000 times before.

this same idea of staleness is why first contact ruling is being tried and tested; because we've dropped onto LV, Ice Colony, Prison Station, etc. HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of times and stated the same old tired phrases "WOW ITS A DOG" "WOW ITS HOSTILE" "WOW THESE BIG DANGEROUS LOOKING ALIENS ARE TOTALLY UNKNOWN TO US; WOW THEY ATTACKED US!!!!" and all the bullshit pretend that is associated with it.

ok this became a rant but tl;dr RP doesn't work unless both parties follow a strict set of rules aka a social contract and only done in manageable numbers; which isn't possible with the current CM culture + population anymore. if anyone has been an admin on a Gmod RP server (specifically HL2RP) you understand what im talking about

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, rp is a two way street. That we can agree on. The problem is that people get violently upset when you ask them to RP on an RP server, which makes absolutely no sense to me. You clicked on an RP server, you joined an RP server, and now you're (generally speaking form of you're not specially you) getting on the forums complaining that there are role play rules on a role play server. Makes no sense, yeah? That's like me going to a library and complaining that there are books in the library and they should be removed immediately because not everyone reads the books in the library. Still makes no sense so far. Now the logical thing would be to note a crack down on said rules and get everyone to fall in line with said rules. It is not impossible. A police force fo sixty people can effectively control a population of hundreds due to people adhering to the rules. Will there still be crime? Yes. But those people go to jail and it's the same way in game. Don't follow the rules, get punished. Not 'I don't want to follow the rules, therefore we should remove them all together.'

To me asking for something like "can we have some type of persistence to add more role play" would be more logical than "we do the same thing everyday therefore we should remove the rules." Plus if your character does the exact same thing everyday it's probably not a very interesting character; and with that train of thought I completely understand how one can get bored.

I don't know about you, but I rp in CM where time constraints as a xeno allows. I generally try to role play and chit chat with the predators, since know thy enemy and information is a sensible way to approach them since Queen Mother and the hive mind gets the same information that my character learns about them. You're saying neither side wishes to follow but to me it's a very select few people that seem to have a problem with rping on the rp server, and respecting their peers that wish to rp on the rp server.

Now you did say something interesting:

on top of that there is nothing really to roleplay. each side has a purpose; to kill each other. there is no alternative objectives. DEFCON tried to be that and failed when it didn't adhere to the sole purpose both sides adhere to; to kill each other. so it got tweaked and now its, while not the best, a more optimal system.
    Wouldn't the logical thing be to ask for more stuff to role play about. I can already think of a few:

- An hour on the ship before deployment. Gives perfect time for relationship building, an actual briefing, boxing ring, etc.
    - Persistance. (There's no persistence so it's ground hogs day constantly)
    - An ability to teach the xenos in captivity how to speak your language so the researchers can actually speak to them / rp with them and they aren't just sitting afk in a cage or ghosting. This could lead to misinformation, relationship building, etc.
    - More time at the end of the round to actually have that memorial everyone goes on about.

Right now, only the marines follow the rp rules. Admins need to crack down on xenos and then it will be a lot better. Sorry for the late response, I was busy all day today. Plus honestly it just sounds like a few of you need a break, it sounds like you're just burnt out.