User Tag List

Thread: Defender Strain: ERA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defender Strain: ERA

#### Summary
    Defender loses the ability to tail-spin, head-butt, fortify, AND ALL of it's armor but gains an ability called 'Vent'.

#### Details

The Defender drops all abilities.

They gain a 'Push' or 'Vent' Ability (whichever devs prefer) is described primarily as an anti-grenade ability.

This ability does NOT push back mobs (E.G: Humans, Xenomorphs, Naera, etc.).
    This ability DOES however, push ITEMS on the ground that are 'medium' or smaller dropped objects away from the Defender.
    The reason I say medium or smaller is because I don't want a defender that can push a spec-weapon near the front-line all the way into a corner of the map with 0 counter-play there.

Since the Defender would be working around grenades, they would have stun immunity from grenades.

#### Benefits

Currently there is 0 counter-play to grenades other than 'GRENADE Run the fuck away!' BOOM ... or 'GRENA-!' BOOM because marines LOVE to hold that timer until the veeery last second.

There USED to be a counter-play of Steel-crested defenders rushing in after hearing a grenade prime, have it hit them, back off, have it blow up right there next to the 'cades while the defender in fortify doesn't get stunned as they back off, but now grenades go through mobs and over 'cades like it's nothing so they removed that counter-play.

#### Implementation

If it were up to me what I would do is when the 'Push' or 'Vent' ability activates, just make an explosion that is -1,-1,2,-1 in size centered on the Defender that pushes 'medium' items or lower away from the center.

In other words that's an explosion that consist of a:
    -1, for a no 'gibbing' or 'heavy' damage radius
    -1, for a no 'light' damage radius
    2, for the 'Push-back' radius zone (5x5 square centered on the defender)
    -1, for a no 'stun' radius

This suggestion was made off of the idea of ERA armor.
    It is also known as Explosive Reactive Armor, which contains a tiny amount of explosive material that is meant to 'push back' highly penetrating rounds or explosions.
    E.G: HEAT rounds, GRENADES, Squash-Head rounds, Etc.

What do you guys think?
    Should something be changed about the suggestion?
    If so, what?
    Last edited by mizolo; 11-30-2019 at 05:10 AM.
    Is an Ambidexterous marine and xeno main.

Anekcahap "Kneecap" Volkov
    Agent X41833N

"Some of the best words are never said, but are rather understood."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have fucking gitlab for this

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a Defender main I have to say that this strain would be never picked up. Currently the only available strain is better than no strain at all, because longer reach and movement during fortify are too good to not have. All at the cost of small ammount of DMG and tail spin.

Ability to "counter" nades is very weak and almost useless, while very hard to pull off. Also who likes the idea of T1 being able to be 100% immune to one kind of marine weaponry? Even in terms of fire, it has to be Rav, or Queen for that.
    Defender with his small speed and NO ARMOR would be the weakest beno there ever was.

Also nades now don't simply go trough mobs, it has to be special "throw" mode that reduces throw range to 4-5 tiles. Barerly usefull since HEDP has 4 tile range, so if you would stand behind a marine and throw it, he would be caught in blast either way.

Current strain is too good, standard defender is too good. New strain is not needed. Buff to standard Defender would be usefull.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CABAL, no offense, but you're heavily contradicting yourself.

I also don't see how your reply is contributing in any way to the suggestion to make it better, but rather you're just listing all the problems without providing any solutions, I'll listen to someone else.
    Is an Ambidexterous marine and xeno main.

Anekcahap "Kneecap" Volkov
    Agent X41833N

"Some of the best words are never said, but are rather understood."

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only reason defender is tanky is because of crest/fortify. Even with armor if they arent in one of those defender gets killed pretty fast. With neither of those and no armor defender gets melted instantly. This strain would be the worst xeno in the entire game bar none cause defender would have no offense, it would die in 2 seconds, and grenades blow up so fast that this would just be useful if they literally grenaded ontop of you cause you are too slow to run over and push one away.

also forgot to mention defender is the weakest caste against explosives, so if he failed to vent the grenade and has no armor hes gonna die to it.
    Last edited by MasterShakeEZ; 12-01-2019 at 06:20 AM.

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mizolo View Post
    CABAL, no offense, but you're heavily contradicting yourself.

I also don't see how your reply is contributing in any way to the suggestion to make it better, but rather you're just listing all the problems without providing any solutions, I'll listen to someone else.
    I didn't list any suggestion to make it better, because it is bad in the core. You have ShakeEZ response above which says pretty much the same about the strain.

It is like inventing automatic ass-slapper and asking how do you guys think it would solve world hunger? What? No suggestions how to improve its nutrition capability from ass-slaps? HOW DARE YOU?

There are no solutions to "venting" nades.

Here, I will list things that would be a good counter to nades:
    - Passive ability. Cooked nades, or shoot from UGL are too fast and Defender is too slow. It should work on itself, atleast like Fortify where you activate this in aticipation of nades.
    - Aura of effect. If defender in this strain could increase explosion ressistance on benos around (2 tiles) it would be nice. This could slow down him, so it's not OP (where fast murderball of benos would tank any nades and rockets with miniscule effects of multiple defenders with this strain).
    - Defender gaining speed after getting hit by explosion for a short while.
    - NOT 100% IMMUNITY TO EXPLOSIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please, explain where I contradicted myself in my previous post.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stop getting killed and you wont die as xeno
    Bert 'SOAB' Beach CARGONIA
    Henrik & Leeroy SYNTHETIC
    Rau'ta H'chak YAUTJA

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

"Honestly, how can you hire this cunt? You must be really fucked up to hire someone like him."

sexy avatar by Manezinho