Date of Incident
    November 30, 2019

Your Character Name?
    Andres Addison

Accused Byond Key(if known):
    Dinobubba7

Accused Character Name
    Cruz 'Cut' McBalderson

Approximate time and date of the incident (Central US Time for fastest results)
    Around 12PM-1PM

What rule(s) were broken:
    Expected Contact RP standards

Description of the incident:
    As a commander, "Cruz 'Cut' McBalderson" made announcements which failed to meet the RP standards laid out in the expected contact rules; namely
    "Poor RP based off game mechanics".

There were several announcements which were tenuously justifiable (though in my opinion still below the RP standard of a commander), but the announcement that prompted me to ahelp during the round was:

"Command Announcement

Boilers are fair and balanced, displace immediately upon gas and expect them to push through, if you are captured kill yourself, if you see a man getting dragged off shoot them, we can retrieve them"

In particular I am concerned about the order to commit suicide and potentially captured marines.

This does not have a justifiable IC rationale; it is poor roleplay to acknowledge this in an IC way, and clearly falls in line with the examples of poor RP listed in the expected contact announcement (which appears when you join the game, and which all players are expected to know).

I appreciate that on the scale of individual marines this sort of RP standard is impossible to enforce in practice.

However, the commander is a role model. In this case they very publicly and in characterly encouraged exploitation of a game mechanic introduced for the sole purpose of preventing meta-dragging. Even if you were to try to take this ICly, there are practically infinite complications with ICly ordering marines' suicide and murder which would also condemn this commander under the server and role rules.

"Keep in mind that RP should not be based off game mechanics"
    //showthrea...ontact-RP-Test

Evidence (screenshots, logs, etc):
    I thought I screenshotted this but it seems I neglected to. The log I provided is in verbatim and should be easy to search.

How you would punish the accused:
    I can't suggest a punishment given that I'm not aware of their note history. I would recommend something more severe than just a note or warning; perhaps a temporary whitelist suspension. Commanders should be the last ones pushing (scratch that, outright violating) the rules like this, much less encouraging other players to break them.
    Last edited by forest2001; 11-30-2019 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Added Ckey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please keep this on the subject and if you are not involved then do not post here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinobubba7 View Post
    I would like to agree with this post on the methods of shooting your allies as they get dragged away by xenomorphs.
    You're just clinging to the lifeline tossed by you by a player who shouldn't even be in this thread. I think anybody reading this is well aware that your intention wasn't to roleplay some "it's for your own good" commissar, but rather to minmax the game mechanics using your out of character knowledge, and encourage the marines under you to do the same. I feel that this is proven by the other announcements you made that round referencing game mechanics like tackling:

"Command Announcement

Oh yeah forgot to mention, focus support classes, kill carriers at all costs before they tackle spam you into oblivion"

But fine - Let's humor you and suppose that your order really was a good faith attempt at roleplaying (it wasn't). You're not allowed to roleplay a character that breaks game rules. It is only common sense that a CO should not order marines to break game rules either. Only the CO is allowed to summarily execute marines. Marines intentionally killing marines without proper escalation falls under rule 4, and it always has. Being dragged does not give other players a reason to shoot you.

You're just digging your pit deeper. Just confess that your rationale was to stop marines being dragged off using the anti-meta-dragging mechanics, and allow the admins to pass judgement. What you does not meet the standards that a player (let alone a CO) should meet, and I think it would show maturity of you to admit that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to agree with this post on the methods of shooting your allies as they get dragged away by xenomorphs.
    I did also forget to mention: Rico doesn't expect the marine put down in this way to come back to life. I highly doubt you would give this order if marines were not revivable after death.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubstank View Post
    You're just clinging to the lifeline tossed by you by a player who shouldn't even be in this thread. I think anybody reading this is well aware that your intention wasn't to roleplay some "it's for your own good" commissar, but rather to minmax the game mechanics using your out of character knowledge, and encourage the marines under you to do the same. I feel that this is proven by the other announcements you made that round referencing game mechanics like tackling:

"Command Announcement

Oh yeah forgot to mention, focus support classes, kill carriers at all costs before they tackle spam you into oblivion"

But fine - Let's humor you and suppose that your order really was a good faith attempt at roleplaying (it wasn't). You're not allowed to roleplay a character that breaks game rules. It is only common sense that a CO should not order marines to break game rules either. Only the CO is allowed to summarily execute marines. Marines intentionally killing marines without proper escalation falls under rule 4, and it always has. Being dragged does not give other players a reason to shoot you.

You're just digging your pit deeper. Just confess that your rationale was to stop marines being dragged off using the anti-meta-dragging mechanics, and allow the admins to pass judgement. What you does not meet the standards that a player (let alone a CO) should meet, and I think it would show maturity of you to admit that.
    First off you are making some mega-mind levels of assumptions when it comes to my reasoning I do what I do. I have ordered marines a multitude of times to perform this same tactic and have never been warned, or asked about it. Its not to avoid anti-meta dragging, ICLY we all know now how xenomorphs reproduce so how can you stop the enemy from reproducing from one of your marines? Answer is that you kill the marine being dragged off, it gives them a chance to be recovered (which all players want to happen) and it also denies xenomorphs the ability to get a multiburst from a single baldie. No one fears death anymore on the marine side why hide it? No one RPs coming back to life to begin with, they just laugh it off and act like its a common occurrence which it is. Again as I will stress, you shoot the marine being dragged off to save them and to deny the enemy supplies, if they are using your body to produce more of them, it seems absolutely reasonable to deny them the ability to replenish numbers.

As for targetting Carriers its what should be done, they win xenos rounds due to the fact their sole job is to infect people, how do you deny a carrier the ability to get new larva? You again, shoot the marine that its dragging off or just kill the carrier. I'm not going to continue to get into sematics from someone who seems to already be standing on a cracking pedestal screaming that "muh imersion is broken in a TDM deathmatch".

Godspeed Dinkle you magnificent bastard o7.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Answer is that you kill the marine being dragged off, it gives them a chance to be recovered (which all players want to happen) and it also denies xenomorphs the ability to get a multiburst from a single baldie.
    "muh imersion is broken in a TDM deathmatch".
    For all your typing, your point comes down to these two topics. Both of which you are playing is as an LRP TDM rather than a medium RP. Medium RP is specified by the game rules. Case closed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Logdiving, I messed up. Give me a sec.

Edit: I didn't mess up, our tool just didn't save the announcement texts after linebreaks. So, there will be some missing info here.

Spoiler Spoiler:
    Last edited by Vicacrov; 12-01-2019 at 11:44 AM.
    April - Synthetic
    VIC - Xenomorph

Admin Manager
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oookay.

First off, "Cruz 'Cut' McBalderson" is an obvious meme name. Change it to something reasonable.

Second, the line 'if you see a man getting dragged off shoot them' - That's encouraging people to break the rules. Shooting someone who is getting dragged off is against the rules UNLESS you get IC PERMISSION from them.

And last, '[12:56:02]QUEEN IS OFFICER FILTRATIONS, WE HAVE BEEN FLANKED MEN, THEY PULLED A PRO GAMER MOVE' - Really? You are a CO. You have an RP standard to uphold. That line is exceedingly LRP.

So, Dinobubba - You will be getting a note linking this report, and are warned for being LRP and encouraging rule breaking in an announcement.