User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time Lock Feedback

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time Lock Feedback

The proposed time lock system was announced on Discord, and there were a few inconsistencies I wanted to discuss. Do remember that the update has not yet dropped, so much of the information being discussed is still liable to change (which is all the more reason we should have this discussion now).

First, the big one: Queen. This role is probably the biggest reason why time locks were implemented, and according to the announcement will have a 9 hour xeno playtime requirement. In my opinion this is insufficient and logically inconsistent with the other time locks. However, I do agree that there should be no restriction for evolving into Queen when the round start Queen has died.

Let’s use the XO, the rough marine equivalent to the Queen, for some perspective. To play XO you need 3 hours as SO, which requires “3 hours of Squad Leading and Cargo Teching.” The language is a bit obtuse but I will assume that it means you must have 3 hours as SL and CT respectively to play SO. To SL you need 9 hours as a squad member (Does that number sound familiar?). In total you need 18 hours of playing marines to actually lead the marines, while only HALF of that time is needed to lead xenos. That is entirely insufficient, especially since a Queen is MUCH more important than an XO. Therefore I would argue that Queen should at MINIMUM have an 18 hour time lock to create parity between the roles.

Second: Researcher. I’ve always had the impression that Researcher was the introductory Medbays role. It allows you to learn chemicals and familiarize yourself with the Medbay without the pressure of having to treat marines. It was the role where I got to learn and experiment with medicine for the first time (fitting for the role), so making 3 hours of doctor be a prerequisite to the role seems utterly backwards to me.

Finally: Corporate Liason. CL is the King of ship-side shenanigans, so having the role only require 3 hours as marine feels a bit odd. Personally, I feel that CL needs more ship-side role requirements just to make sure players have a general understanding of what is expected of them as well as to reduce the amount of griefer CLs.
    Last edited by Outcast Seer; 12-02-2019 at 02:26 PM.
    Luca Jagemann, the cynical colonial with the prescription glasses.

Ancient Synth Williams, on another rescue mission in Brazil.

Whitelisted Predator
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that the CL and Queen need more time played to unlock.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobBrown4PM View Post
    I agree that the CL and Queen need more time played to unlock.
    No one really cares about CL and it's not nearly important enough to get timelocked longer than other roles

Primordial Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    doctor should be a prereq for medic not the other way around. doctor is way less stressful and a more controlled environment than medic. Learning medicine on doctor is way prefered and easier for new players imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Akabinxstar View Post
    No one really cares about CL and it's not nearly important enough to get timelocked longer than other roles
    Don’t forget that:

1. CL is needed by research to unlock levels on the A-XRF. A bald or griefer CL can have a direct adverse impact on Medical. Sure, you are encouraged to haggle and demand things from Medical in exchange for increasing clearance. However, most veteran CLs WILL eventually give clearance. If the CL does something stupid like deploy first drop and die/get captured because they only have 3 hours of CM experience as PFC, you have effectively wasted a round for a lot of Researchers.

2. There are A LOT of CL job bans due to players not knowing where the line between RP and rule breaking is. A larger time requirement would diminish the number of bans due to players having a stronger understanding of expectations regarding their conduct. Increasing the requirement benefits both players and staff since the former is getting banned less and the latter has less administrative burden to deal with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShakeEZ View Post
    doctor should be a prereq for medic not the other way around. doctor is way less stressful and a more controlled environment than medic. Learning medicine on doctor is way prefered and easier for new players imo.
    I recall once reading a guide that the recommended order of playing medical roles was Researcher => Doctor => Medic => CMO => Synth

Retired Manager
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Queen needs more time than 9 hours. I don't like that most roles only need 3 hours. I'd expect new players to play like 6 hours at least to unlock other squad roles. Needing to play CT and SL to unlock SO is silly. SL is harder to play than SO and CT doesn't really have any impact on that role to require it. Needing 3 hours of medic to unlock doctor is also silly. Doctor should unlock with medic once you have enough PFC hours and like MasterShake mentioned, medic is so much more stressful than doctor. Also yeah, researcher before doctor seems like a good idea. It lets you have time to learn medicine and chemistry without having to do surgery. A squad always needs a medic and most of the time a newbie medic is put into such a stressful situation, also with lack of knowledge they let people go braindead.
    Former staff, also former Synthetic senator.

Now just a shitposter and lurker.

Dev Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you set it too high you discourage new players, queen probably needs to be longer and some of the depth of marine timelocks can probably be reduced but overall this is good and about in-line with most other ss13 servers that use playtime locking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CL timelock Lmaoo, as if CL had any impact whatsoever on current rounds. Barely anything ever comes out of XRF scanner. Literally 80% of research's usefulness is corpse hauling.

Make CL whitelisted and make it a proper role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to go in the opposite direction form everyone else here and say that 3 hours as a marine should unlock all roles.

In practice that means 2 rounds (or 1 ice round).

RS queen should be 6 hours, or roughly 3 rounds (or, again, 1 ice round).