User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time Lock Feedback

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heraclitus View Post
    I'm going to go in the opposite direction form everyone else here and say that 3 hours as a marine should unlock all roles.

In practice that means 2 rounds (or 1 ice round).

RS queen should be 6 hours, or roughly 3 rounds (or, again, 1 ice round).
    Based hipster.
    Horst ‘Thunder’ Jagemann, the profiteering Bavarian bomber with a heart of gold.

Check out my Weapon Attachment Tester

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thoughts on some of the time locks:

Queen requires more time to unlock as everyone else put it as it's prob not gonna be enough time before beno realizes it has a shitton of skills as queenie.

CL timelock is a bit... odd? I barely see em do much to effect a round. And putting a timelock isn't going to stop that that much of what the main issue of CL is. Which is them not reading wiki/guides. Adding a timelock to them isn't going to change much.

Also the timelock for the entire medical line is weird too. As multiple people have stated it would be best to have it be Researcher => Doctor => Squad Medic + CMO (with later timelock)

The timelock for RO + CE seem at tad bit high, but that's moreso because CT's and MT's don't really do much beyond their initially roundstart duties so getting 6 hours on these ones will be pure living hells (mainly CT since why would you want to be the CE lol). Hence why you see most of them just bumming around.

Aside from those most of these look fine.
    Bravo Squad Marine/Engineer/Spec - Marvin Pearsall
    A Guide to being Special Squad Spec by Me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outcast Seer View Post
    I recall once reading a guide that the recommended order of playing medical roles was Researcher => Doctor => Medic => CMO => Synth
    I disagree.

Medic should be first as there are more of them and you need to have basic life saving knowledge to be a doctor.

With 5+ medics you can afford for some to be bald.

The more limited doctor slots makes them more valuable.

Additionally, if I have a brand new doctor who has played medic, as a CMO worst case you can put them on triage.

If they have never done medical at ALL you have someone actively hampering medical, dragging off iv lines, oding, etc.

Its less frustrating to meet a bald medic. You are either dead and it sucks briefly and you bitch in dchat, or you walk away and find a good medic. A bald doctor.. you are trapped in surgery/autodoc for 10000 years.

Finally, I have taught a few doctors/medics. Its far far easier and a better transition for doctors that were medics.

Edit--

It makes me wish they would bring back the "nurse"/intern role. Maybe just 1 slot with low surgical skill.
    Dress them in purple scrubs.. a role just for learning that marines will recognize is bald?

Idk.
    Last edited by BeardedWall; 12-03-2019 at 06:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it comes to anything combat-related as a marine, I say no. This includes SO, SL, and XO (however I am willing to accept that a short 3/6 hour time-lock as Spec/SO probably should precede the last two, respectively). Inexperience as a rookie NCO or officer is ICly acceptable as you can never be truly prepared if you only ran through the simulations, and imposing time-locks on these roles feels very newbie-unfriendly given that they are very abstract and flexible.

Now, when it comes to anything shipside that matters, like doctors, CTs, MTs, MPs, and their heads? Definitely. These roles are vital to the function of the marines planetside and having a competent staff in these departments can damper the effect of any bad orders or leadership. However, this is another situation which blocks newbies out of roles they may be interested in from the start, so how do we deal with this?

I have made a suggestion in the past for a 'Nurse' type role that newbies who enjoy non-combat medical gameplay can jump into without holding up marines who want quick, competent surgery from the only people who have the hardcoded-skill necessary. In the same vein it would be a good primer for those who want to learn the Combat Medic role without the pressure of dying/impatient marines.

I think another kind of 'Sailor' role could be added as a sort of combined "assistants" for req and engineering, with all the necessary skills. Another role which does not demand groundside-assistance in the form of crates and OB reloads, but still allows players to explore the gameplay that is accessible with the perhaps-lowered door access and perhaps-lowered skills of standard MTs and CTs.

Playing 3-6 hours as Nurse and Sailor would be a fine introduction to shipside gameplay in general and would unlock the respective roles they prepare players for (along with MP, which needs SOME sort of primer that I don't think requires addition of a special role, just understanding basic interaction with other players is the most important part of that job)

When it comes to anything else human, I'd say no. CL can be as experienced or inexperienced as they will be, that's corporate nepotism for ya. Researchers are for funsies and have a supplemental effect on rounds if anything, and survivors are rural bumpkins from podunk colonies so who cares?

Queen is something I cant say much about, almost everyone wants a timelock on it, even on the marine side, because the queen is quite literally the center of gameplay. A bad queen is not fun to follow or fight from my experience, so if any time-lock is added at all, i'd say that's the role to do it to.